Wix 57060 [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Wix 57060 (PF48 equiv) is off of our 2010 Camaro SS. This filter had approx 6500 miles on it. It was installed when the OLM said 50% oil life left. For the first 50% of the OLM it had a PF48 on it. Total mileage on the oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) was 13,504 miles. Oil analysis was done when the oil was changed and came back that the oil was in good shape.

Camaro6500miles-1.jpg

Camaro6500miles-2.jpg

Camaro6500miles-3.jpg

That oil looks really clean considering it was run for 13.5k miles. Wow! Filter looks good too and surely did a good job.

What was the reason for the filter change at 50%? Looks pretty good. I guessing this is very similar to the 51040, biggest difference seems to be the thread size. Thanx for posting.

Are we going to see the UOA as well?

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Because the filters being used were probably not meant for extended OCIs

But "technically" it's not an extended OCI if it was changed by the OLM. Unless the spec is to change the filter at 50% I would think a Wix would be up to it as much as an ACDelco E-core would.

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
Total mileage on the oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) was 13,504 miles. Oil analysis was done when the oil was changed and came back that the oil was in good shape.

That's amazing ... filter looks good too. Was that 13.5K miles a lot of highway use? I would think so for the OLM to go that many miles.

I trust the PF48 to filter well, but not for the duration of the OLM especially taking me 13K miles. I'd like to think all of the research, time and money that GM has spent in developing the OLM system didn't use anything more than a PF48 on the LS3/L99 Camaro V8's. I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling that it was wise to go that long on a single PF48. I approximate that 85% of the miles on that oil where commuting miles. Wife drives 80 miles round trip for work. I currently have Mobil 1 EP and a Amsoil Ea15K50 installed and plan on leaving it the whole duration of the next OLM cycle.

I approximate that 85% of the miles on that oil where commuting miles. Wife drives 80 miles round trip for work. I currently have Mobil 1 EP and a Amsoil Ea15K50 installed and plan on leaving it the whole duration of the next OLM cycle.

That should be a good combo for those long OCIs. I've read that GM put a lot of research into the OLM system ... way more than most people would ever imagine.

I wonder how much the filter change had to do with the state of the oil. While it looks good, who knows if it would soon have gone into bypass mode at which point the oil would no longer get filtered.

Is there any way of seeing whether an oil filter is in bypass mode while it is in normal usage? That would be neat for those doing extended OCI's even with OLM's.

I wonder how much the filter change had to do with the state of the oil. While it looks good, who knows if it would soon have gone into bypass mode at which point the oil would no longer get filtered.

It's possible the filter change half way through that long OCI might have made the oil analysis a little better - mostly if the oil was topped off with new oil because of the new filter. Changing the filter half way through the OCI shouldn't have influenced the OLM system.

That engine being pretty new and clean inside, and the high highway miles used, I'd say the filter wasn't even close to going into bypass due to debris loading.

Is there any way of seeing whether an oil filter is in bypass mode while it is in normal usage? That would be neat for those doing extended OCI's even with OLM's.

Only if you had a delta pressure sensor across the filter, and knew what the bypass setting was for that particular filter.

What is this delta pressure sensor? Something easy to install after market?

It measures the inlet and outlet pressure across the filter, and subtracts the outlet from the inlet to achieve the "delta" in pressure across the filter.

Do a Google search, I vaguely remember seeing a base plate type of affair that can be mounted between the engine and filter that has ports for pressure sensors so you can see the inlet and outlet pressure across the filter. You could then just subtract the two readings to get the delta pressure.

You'd think they would put another sensor on cars before the filter (I mean most cars know the oil pressure already after the filter) so that you'd get a sign "Change oil filter" on your dash.

You'd think they would put another sensor on cars before the filter (I mean most cars know the oil pressure already after the filter) so that you'd get a sign "Change oil filter" on your dash.

I agree ... it would be pretty easy to do for the car makers. I guess they figure if people change their oil and filter when they are supposed to (and keep their engines clean inside by doing so), then the filter will never get close to loading up and going into bypass.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's possible the filter change half way through that long OCI might have made the oil analysis a little better - mostly if the oil was topped off with new oil because of the new filter.
Totally agree.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Changing the filter half way through the OCI shouldn't have influenced the OLM system.
Correct. The OLM system has no way of knowing.

That'd be awesome to have two oil related gauges, one for oil pressure and another for differential(delta) pressure across oil filter's media. As long as you have the bypass specs for whatever oil filter is equipped, it'd be a useful tool for extended OCI apps.

I trust the PF48 to filter well, but not for the duration of the OLM especially taking me 13K miles. I'd like to think all of the research, time and money that GM has spent in developing the OLM system didn't use anything more than a PF48 on the LS3/L99 Camaro V8's. I just didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling that it was wise to go that long on a single PF48. I approximate that 85% of the miles on that oil where commuting miles. Wife drives 80 miles round trip for work. I currently have Mobil 1 EP and a Amsoil Ea15K50 installed and plan on leaving it the whole duration of the next OLM cycle.

Can't argue with that, I would feel more comfortable with the Wix as well, compared to an e-core anyway. Hard to think there would be any issue with the Ea for that long either.

Oh ya, very nice ride too!

I have the Napa Gold version of this filter on my Saturn now. I know it doesn't use the typical Wix style bypass. Any chance you can get a shot of the bypass end? Thanks for taking the time to cut one of these open!

-paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back