MMO in every fill up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you use MMO in every fill up? If so do you notice any improvements? I googled the topic and obviously Marvel states that you can add 4oz to every 10 gal of fuel. Is it worth it though? I wouldn't mind doing it for peace of mind, because its inexpensive. Also I have heard that replacing a quart of oil with it works wonders what are your thoughts on this as well? Thanks for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Well mixing it with your oil dilutes the oil making it thinner,some guys swear it cleans up their crankcases,I think if you want thinner oil,buy thinner oil.If you want to clean the crankcase seafoam works great,or buy a dedicated engine flush,some guys here have had great results using kreen. As far as mixing with fuel some say it's a good upper cylinder lubricant. If you want an upper cylinder lubricant try 2 stroke oil,1 ounce per 5 gallons. It's more cost effective to do the same thing.
Some guys swear by it,other don't have any use for it. Try it out and decide for yourself. You may see a fuel economy improvement,or it may reduce cylinder wear over the life of the motor if you keep it forever.

It could make your fuel pump last longer. I put MMO in the tank when I go on long trips to reduce the odds of fuel pump failure. I don't know if it does or not, but it gives me the warm and fuzzies on a long trip. As I have heard an old timer say one time; "a well lubed part is a happy part".

Thanks for the replies, keep em' coming. I think I will give it a shot after a treatment of BG44K
wink.gif

I add MMO to my gas tank every time I fill up, 4 ounces to each 10 gallons. I have been adding MMO to my gas tank at every fuel fill for a little over two years now and I can tell you that yes my truck does get very good benefits from the upper cylinder lubricant properties of MMO. It increases compression by improving the piston ring seal, which improves power. MMO in my fuel helps provide for a nice smooth and even idle and it is a very mild lubricant and cleaner for my fuel injectors. MMO also helps to offset some of the negative effects of corn ethanol that is found in gasoline, it helps restore some lubricity to ethanol-laced fuel and it lubes the fuel pump, helps it work more efficiently. A very welcome side effect to using MMO in my fuel is I get about 1.25 to maybe 2 more MPG than I do without MMO.

MMO in the crank case is a different story. I have added it to my oil a few times, only during the last 750 to 1000 miles of an OCI as a cleaning agent. When I drained the oil it was pitch black and the filter was very heavy so I know the MMO had to have done some good cleaning in my engine's innards. MMO in the oil can help quiet noisy lifters or other engine noises. MMO will thin out your oil, maybe not by a full grade, but it will thin it out some and that may account for the increased power and engine pep that some people (myself included) have reported. MMO can also help improve cold starts when used in oil. MMO will also burn off pretty quickly in oil, so if you add it to your oil it is best to keep a close eye on the oil level.

Another BITOG'er here once said, "If you need to add MMO to your oil all the time, you have special problems." I sure do agree with him. I just use a good oil and do not see the need for MMO in it. However, I am currently on the first run of PYB I have ever used in my truck. It is doing fine, truck runs great on it but I might add a pint of MMO at the end of this OCI, just to boost the cleaning properties of the PYB. But unless you have specific engine problems there should be no need to use MMO in the crank case all the time. A good name brand oil and filter should be all that is needed.

So, yeah, I use MMO in my fuel all of the time. I once did an experiment without MMO and my truck did not run the same. I get great results from using it in my fuel. It works great for me, some others have had bad results or no results at all. I was skeptical of it too, you just have to try it for yourself. Just keep in mind, MMO is a great product but it is not a magic cure-all-in-a-bottle. You have to be consistent with it and it may take a few tanks of gas with MMO to see or feel any improvements. I personally believe the best results come from the use of MMO in older, higher mileage engines that need the help with the improved ring seal and compression.

I use it in the Cruze. It runs smoother and a bit peppier with it in the gas. I started it shortly after buying the car. It's cheap, and a bottle typically lasts me about 2 months at recommended dosage.

Wow thank you for the write up. I will keep a bottle in the trunk and add some with every fill up, shouldnt hurt anything. i will have to report back if I notice an improvement.

Now that was a great anecdote. The guys who use it consistently say the same thing.
I have been doing the 2 stroke oil and acetone in the gas thing for a few weeks now. My fuel consumption computer used to stay around the 9.6-10.3 liters per 100 kms and in the past week it's been at 8.7-9.2 range. My commute is the exact same and as of last Sunday we have been hovering at -40 with wind and longer idle times for warm up and my fuel consumption has gone down. For the cost of the mix I am putting in(1 ounce 2 stroke oil/2ounces acetone per 5 gallons/20 liters) it really doesn't cost me much. I get the 2 stroke oil free and the acetone from my neighbour the painter. And the fuel computer is showing improvement.
I wish we could find mmo here in Canada. I would like to test it out b

Ive topped off my oil twice with MMO in the past two months (around a half quarts worth total) this is the last thousand miles of my 5,000 mi OCI with 65,000 on the clock i figured a little MMO in the crank would clean up anything that might need cleaning up. I have no intentions of running MMO every OCI in my crank.

I have used MMO in my fuel, I observed no positive or negative results at all in my Truck, NOW in my old 2.2 ltr cavi i deffinately noticed the car was spunkier with MMO in the gas, started quicker, even seemed to rev just a tad quicker.. I dunno, bought the car used with 90,000 on the clock. didnt bother using any MMO untill 130.xxx maybee it did some cleaning that restored some lost performance ? i dunno. just know it ran better with than without.

I use MMO in all my older machines fuel, all built dating prior to ethanol ever anywhere close to being considered used regularly in gasoline. 1991 Vanagon, 1986 Porsche 911 and 1974 Laverda 1000.

Older owners manuals expressly ask you not to use ethanol blended fuels.

Fuel pumps, "O" rings, fuel pressure regulators with the internal elastic, fuel dampers and fuel lines were not designed for use with ethanol.

I am convinced that MMO provides a lubricating property to modern fuel. Ethanol is not a lubricator and is corrosive. In the old Dellorto carbs on my bike..I have not had to rebuild them since 2005. The many "O" rings and three float valves survive well with some MMO in the fuel.

Yes, I am sure they all run better too. On those occasions when I am out of MMO and run a tank..well..it seems so.

I don't bother with my 2007 Subaru..the engineers knew by then what [censored] we are using for fuel.

Sorry, no data points, just experience.

Originally Posted By: Sixxer
Wow -40. I am happy I live in the south lol

Don't even get me started. I sit in my garage and stare at my Harley,sit on it making vroom vroom sounds. Almost brings a tear to my eye. I bought an 86 Honda 750vt that I am looking forward to zipping around the city in.
I took the Honda out yesterday on our snow covered roads. I dumped it a few times not going more than about 40 kms/hr. At least it's light and easy to pick up. Didn't get my riding fix in though

MMO in fuel does no harm,and probably does a lot of good.I would not use it in the oil unless there was some reason to,and then I wouldnt add much and change the oil out soon.

I've been doing it for decades. My logic in the beginning was it left a thin film of oil in the combustion chamber which would prevent flash rusting. The vehicle I was using it in sat for weeks or even months w/o being driven. I also like the idea that it kept the carbs clean and not needing adjustment. I grew when lead was used in gas, MMO was a good additive when lead was removed from fuel. It also saved me money on replacing a float in a gas tank that didn't work in a used car I bought.

It freed up lifters and cleaned engines when I added it to oil, but that's OT.

The habit carried over till this day.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I use it in the Cruze. It runs smoother and a bit peppier with it in the gas. I started it shortly after buying the car. It's cheap, and a bottle typically lasts me about 2 months at recommended dosage.

I have ONE question...what does your owners manual say about using things like this? If your car is under warranty I bet it says DO NOT USE unapproved additives.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: morris
check out www.ampcolubes.com i great for putting mmo in your engine.

I have two of the original MMO Inverse Oilers, both work great. The only problem with feeding MMO via the Inverse Oiler is the fuel doesn't pass through the fuel injectors.

I use it in my '68 VW Beetle. I figured it would be good for it. It seems to keep the carb running better. I plan to continue using it. As others have said, it should help lube cars that called for leaded fuel.

I just tried it in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma at the last fill-up for the first time after reading about people getting better fuel economy. I used the 4oz/10 gal fuel recommended dosage. My fuel economy went from around 19mpg to 16.5mpg. Hmmmmm. I am going to run it through one more time and see if it stays low. Then I'll quit using it for a few fill-ups and see if mpg goes back up. We shall see.

FWIW, I keep some in a spray bottle and use it as a general lubricant around the house. Works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back