Mobil delvac 1 5w/40/ 4620Mi / Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA (not sure how to post the PDF). I am using the relatively short interval due to mostly short trips in stop and go traffic. The fuel I believe could be an issue with a longer interval (I am changing the oil every 6 months regardless of miles).

Vehicle: Nissan Titan 2004 5.6L V-8
Oil Type: Mobil Delvac 1 5W/40
Miles on Oil 4,620
Miles on Unit 9,500
Sample Date 09/27/05
No make up oil
Additional Info: Magnetic Oil Plug
Fuel: Unleaded Premium (93 Octane)

Sample 9/27/05 (4,620 mi) Universal Averages/4500mi

Aluminum 2 4
Chromium 1 1
Iron 6 13
Copper 6 6
Lead 2 4
Tin 0 1
Nickel 0 0
Manganese 1 2
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 3 1
Boron 36 68
Silicon 14 14
Sodium 2 2
Calcium 2223 2115
Magnesium 396 116
Phosphorus 1051 755
Zinc 1337 886
Barium 0 0
SUS viscosity at 210 degrees 70.6
Flashpoint 380F (395F or above recommended)
Fuel 0.8
AntiF 0
Water 0
Insol. 0.2

Blackstone comments:
No problems showed up in this initial sample from your Titan. All wear at or below averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing
parts. Universal averages show normal wear after 4500 miles on the oil. The low flashpoint shows a minor amount of fuel. This is likely due to the 90% short trips
this engine sees and is not a concern, esp. since the viscosity was OK. Insolubles were
low at 0.2%, showing good filtration. No fuel dilution or coolant was found. At 9,500 total miles, his engine appears to be doing well.

Looks good! I think the oil thinned just a little - but I don't remember what nominal vis is. It's just in the 40 wt range. The fuel could be the sample technique (possible not fully hot sample)

Metals are great. I quit doubting Nissan, thanks to BiTOG!

Thanks Pablo for the response. The oil sample was taken about 5-10 min after driving for 4 or 5 miles or about 20 min of driving ( stop and go traffic). This is a normal driving interval each day, with stops, along with some light hauling (300-500 lbs); which is how the truck is normally used. I didn't want to skew the results by doing a long hwy drive before the oil sample, which unfortunately I am lucky to do once a month.

In New Jersey I would go with a 30 wt oil. I just think a 40 wt is overkill with no decrease in wear rats (normally) You are sacrificing milage and the Phosphorus is a potential threat to the cat converter.

quote:

posted by Jeff
Additional Info: Magnetic Oil Plug

I understand how a magnetic plug can be good but to use one with Oil Analysis does not make sense IMO,
they would work against each other
dunno.gif

Wouldn't a magnetic plug produce only a minimal reduction in the ferrous metals in the sample?

The big stuff would stick to it, sure. And what large particles didn't should typically be caught by the oil filter -- which ought to remove them from the sample in any case.

Hard to say what percentage of the small ferrous particles would stay in suspension for the sample, but I'd think it would be pretty high.

I am not trying to hi-jack this UOA thread,
I am puzzled as to why someone would use a magnet and UOA togther
dunno.gif

quote:

posted by IslaVistaMan
minimal reduction

Problem seems to be no body knows for sure how well a magnetic plug works,
if the Magnetic Plug pulls metals from the oil I would think any metal (that is attracted to magnets - what else besides Iron?) will cling to the magnet no matter what size they are, and the UOA would not be a true sampling of contaminants in the lube...
any metals that are not picked-up in the UOA because it is stuck to the magnet would render the oil sample useless, right?

a magnet and UOA do not go together

Jeff,
Just curious why you would run the premium fuel in your truck. This truck is formulated for regular unleaded, isn't it?

Thanks for the replies! I primarily did this UOA to make sure there were no serious problems with this engine being that it was the first year it was produced. The oil plug may have altered the result as there was a thin coating of gray material on the plug, but I would prefer it there than in the engine. Possibly the lower wear metals may show some indication that magnetic oil plugs are beneficial? As far as premium fuel, there seems to be a majority opinion on Titan boards that the ECU? (Computer) in the vehicle adjusts the timing, ect., based on octane rating. Premium fuel seems to give a little better performance (possibly up to 12 HP) and mileage, although it probably does not offset the extra cost in general (I have a local dealer though who offers premium one day a week at a decent discount, so it does not matter too much). I have learned a lot from this site which is why I figured I would give Delvac 1 a try from the good reports. I am now running M-1 5-30EP for the winter and may test again in March...

Metals are great. I quit doubting Nissan, thanks to BiTOG! I totally agree. Nissan rocks and Delvac looks even better than DELO I saw used recently.They use those magnets around the filter and drain plugs to try and attract metal.But the oil report should show me enough. Great report just a little too much fuel perhaps a fluke.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back