2005-2011 Bugatti Veyron 16.4. Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of oil does this 8.0L 1001+HP QUAD-TURBO W16 (4 4-cyl engines) use?

bugatti-veyron-main-post-1.jpg

Engine:

800px-Volkswagen_W16.jpg

Also, the Super Sport version tops out at 268MPH off the showroom floor.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
M1 0W-20 yo lol

Well i won the bet with myself, i thought someone would come along and say it has Mobile 1 AFE 0W-20 in it. At least i know im on point.

I would IMAGINE this car has something like a 0W-40 or perhaps thicker 0W-30 in it. If they made it in Europe then perhaps its some kind of Pennzoil Euro.

Thats some serious power, its turbocharged, and the engine needed 9 or 11 heat exchangers/radiators so i would imagine it perhaps has a 40. Not a 50, i dont think a new TURBO engine like that would ever use a heavy oil, but i can imagine a 40 in it.

Has anyone ever seriously considered what kind of oil is in this thing? I would honestly think it is NOT 0W-20, since this car can blast to well over 200MPH with such ease and heat and speed and with turbo that its not Dr Haas's granny car that he puts the 0W-20s that are actually 0W-30s if you look at the HTHS and not the API rating in. (Dr Haas's "0W-20s" are actually 0W-30s, so that should explain almost everything. This per CATERHAM. Dr Haas is sensationalist. he still runs thinner oil, and i see how that is ok.)

but not M1 0W-20 AFE. Not this car. M1 0W-30, now.. MAYBE.

I also seem to recall that this car's hood cannot be opened by its owner. Special servicing and something about "flown in to France" or a tech with a key.. something amazing like that. I know if you catch a flat its $22,000. Though they ARE Run-flat Michelin Pilot Cup C2s.. with a more than 13 inch track/width..

Quote:
but it takes 42 liters of oil !

Its claimed it take 16 liters of oil. But i see the 42 liters quoted as well, who knows.
Quote:
Füllmenge (gesamt) 16 Liter

16 liters sounds more realistic.
It isn't a long haul truck, after all.
It may have lots of cylinders and valves and turbos, but it doesn't have all that much displacement and it isn't intended to go 30K+ on a fill.
Heck, few of these cars will see 30K in their lives.

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
What kind of oil does this 8.0L 1001+HP QUAD-TURBO W16 (4 4-cyl engines) use?

It's actually two V8 engines mated together, not 4 bangers.

Quote:
16 liters sounds more realistic.
Yes it does. I'm thinking 42 ltr total lubricant capacity maybe, engine, transmission, diff, etc.

10W-60 eh?

naysayers be [censored], that oil pump could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
A little 10W at cold start-up is nothin.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Don't know weight, but it takes 42 liters of oil !

How many quarts is that?

Originally Posted By: mount
10W-60 eh?

naysayers be [censored], that oil pump could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.
A little 10W at cold start-up is nothin.

Enzo FF is 5W-60...

And that car has since had a redesign. The Super Sport now goes 268MPH! That one pictured does 253MPH.

I guess these exotic engines really enjoy the viscosity/protection/HEAT HANDLING ABILITY for that amount of POWER of the 10W-60! Maybe 5W-60 and Redline's super-thick 5W-50 would work too.

Who makes the 5W-60 motor oil, btw? Castrol? I hope its not the same as BMW's oil. If so, then these engines may be sludged by their first OCI. They sit in garages for years............................... SOME are DDs but thats Monaco....

Glad we got the viscosity out of the way, though. This engine seems made for the thick 60-wt /heavy 50 wt. It certainly was amazingly engineered in other ways, and it takes a twin-turbo custom Viper at the track to beat one. (Or extensively modified Skyline.) his car whips the McLaren SLR, and Lamborghini and Ferrari anywhere from 50MPH to 30MPH. And it has a radio, and Alcantra leather, and .. well done, Volkswagen!
smile.gif

The enthusiast/dedicated performance cars it takes to go faster than this arent street legal, AFAICT. And the CCT Aero isnt as fast as this, though that is nice too.. ~230MPH...

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
Who makes the 5W-60 motor oil, btw?

For Ferrari Shell make FF oils, years ago it was Agip.

Ahh yes, i remember the name Agip.

I honestly think some of these engines which sit in garages 98 of the time (?) may be sludged if its the BMW oil, or even VW oil (Bugatti is VW.) Yes?

I like the Redline 5w40 for my Super Sport. Keeps the turbos lubed and even at 268mph on my local highways it purrs like a.kitten. A very large, angry kitten trying to claw your eyes out, but a kitten nonetheless. It sure is a pain having to fly in the.French mechanics every 3k miles and buy new tires every 5k though. The croissant bill alone is frightening!
However, once you put in that special key and launch it at 4krpm and feel the tires grip immediately as it catapaults you into hyperdrive, you know that its worth it.

Oh, ahem, sorry... Dreaming out loud again. Darn!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: nleksan
I like the Redline 5w40 for my Super Sport. Keeps the turbos lubed and even at 268mph on my local highways it purrs like a.kitten. A very large, angry kitten trying to claw your eyes out, but a kitten nonetheless. It sure is a pain having to fly in the.French mechanics every 3k miles and buy new tires every 5k though. The croissant bill alone is frightening!
However, once you put in that special key and launch it at 4krpm and feel the tires grip immediately as it catapaults you into hyperdrive, you know that its worth it.

Oh, ahem, sorry... Dreaming out loud again. Darn!
wink.gif

Dont worry. Thats almost exactly what AEHaas would say, but replace 5W-40 with 0W-30
wink.gif

Hey how is that BMW going? I had one many moons ago. Yours is a MONSTER!

Ever had an E30 with an S52US swap? (The 3.2L 333HP one out of an M. Pretty sure they called it S52US) :drool:

Quote:
S52B32

This engine was sold only in the USA and Canada and is closely based on the iron-block USA-spec M52 engine. It differs in having an 86.4mm bore and an 89.6mm stroke for a displacement of approximately 3.2 litres. It shares very few components with the European S50. The S52 is essentially a large displacement M52 with minor upgrades to increase performance. It uses a regular M52 head with the same stepped VANOS system (on the intake cam only) but uses more aggressive cams. The intake manifold and throttle body is from the M52B28. The exhaust manifolds are the same between M52 and S52 but the S52 uses special muffler designed by Boyesen that is less restrictive. Even the connecting rods are exactly the same 135 mm units used in the M52B28. The lubrication system on the S52 is optimized for greater flow. Engine management is handled by the same Siemens system as the M52 but is tuned to the larger displacement and slightly more performance biased.

Physically, there are very few external characteristics that distinguish the S52 from its M52 brother. The "M-Power" valve cover is the easiest to spot although it must be noted that S52 and M52 valve covers are easily interchangeable. A more subtle difference is the oil filter housing. While the M52 uses a threaded black plastic cover on its filter, the S52 uses an aluminum cover held in place by a bolt. This is the same housing as was used on the 1991-1995 M50 series engines. As such, the S52 uses M50-style filter cartridges instead of the M52 style. Power from the S52B32US is officially quoted at 240 HP but many[who?] feel that this figure is understated. Maximum permissible engine speed varies from 6500 rpm to 6800 rpm to allow a margin of safety for the hydraulic lifters and the rest of the valve-train, although the engine can safely rev to 7000 rpm.

Applications:

1996-1999 US-spec E36 M3
1996-2000 US-spec E36/7/8 M Roadster/M Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back