Exmark Premium Oil, 30w-10w30, 70 hours, ZTR Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past season, I used this oil out of curiosity to see if it lived up to it's claims: http://www.exmark.com/Accessories/EngineOil/ It's marketed like Amsoils 4 Stroke ASE as a 30w that acts like a 10w30: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ase.aspx

Exmark zero turn commercial mower with 23 hp air cooled, oil filtered, 2 cyl. Kawasaki engine . Recommended OCI is 100 hrs.

I only put 70 hours on this summer. No top up and level dropped about 1/8 inch on dipstick over season (negligible). No other UOA's for comparison.

Here's the results, with discussion welcome (Blackstone Labs):

Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 50 hours on the oil. Most of the wear metals look really good in this sample. Lead is the only exception, however, 3 ppm higher than normal isn't usually enough to call a bearing problem, especially when everything else looks so good. The viscosity sheared down to a 5W/30. That's pretty common in small engines and usually isn't a concern. The TBN was strong at 7.0 showing lots of active additive; less than 1.0 is too low. Keep this oil in use and check back in 20 hours or so.

Hr on oil: 70
Hr. on unit: 322
Sample date 11/14/11
No make up oil

............11/14/11-Universal Ave.
Aluminum.......3........4
Chromium.......0........1
Iron.............17......10
Copper..........8........6
Lead............6........3 (flagged??)
Tin..............0........0
Moly.............4......24
Nickel...........0........0
Manganese.....0........2
Silver...........2........0
Titanium.......0........0
Potassium......3........0
Boron...........4........8
Silicon..........9.......10
Sodium.........1........3
Calcium....2369.....1716
Magnesium..247......145
Phosphorous.1048....797
Zinc........1309.......927
Barium.....0.............3

SUS Visc. @ 210F.....56.3...Should be 58-65 (flagged)
cSt Visc. @ 100C.....9.16...Should Be 9.7-11.9 (flagged)
Flashpoint in F.......420....>375
Fuel %....0
Antifreeze %..0
Water.....0 Should be Insolubles %......0.4 Should be TBN........7.0

MY COMMENTS: Not sure where universal avg. are from. Shearing bothers me. For a "premium oil", I would expect it to hold up better for more than the recommended OCI (why else use it?).
Please share your opinions (about the UOA).

Thinned a bit but why would you be concerned. The avgs are based on a 50hr run and you went over. Very good. High TBN, Stout additive pack. This looks like a good fit for your engine. I would be sticking with it.

Looks okay. How much do they charge for this oil anyways? It's probably as much as amsoil so you should use that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back