Valvoline MaxLife...Shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I've taken on my brothers 1994 Camaro 3.4L V6 as a project. It's in good condition overall, just some small stuff to fix. Anyway, I want to do an oil change first and I have 2 5 quart jugs of 10w30 Maxlife from December 2008. Do you think theyw ould still be good at this point? They're unopened in my basement and haven't really seen extreme temps.

Thanks!!

Fine to use. I used some Chevron 5w-30 today in my Uncle's F150 that was from 5-2007 with no concern.

Oil lasts a long time. Esp virgin oil in factory containers.

Bill

I have seen responses from oil companies to that question of 5 years if stored in moderate temperatures. I would believe you could go longer and they are just erring on the side of caution.

I cant think of anything that would make oil not usable except for coming into contact with water, getting dirt in it, it being spilled, or it going inside of an engine. I DID notice that in the hot summer, quarts of oil iside a diffel bag in my trunk would always feel lighter, but then i remembered its impossible for it to have "evaporated off" because they were sealed quarts, so in reality it was just lighter because it was warmed up. Still felt light, though, when hot.

it's good for a very long time. 5 years seems to be the defacto answer but as previously mentioned, that is erring on the side of caution.

Cool, thanks. Sounds like I'm good, just have to get a PureOne and I'm ready to go. Save some cash with the ridiculous prices for high mileage oils around here.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Valvoline is producing an oil for people building a big stash; it is called MaxShelflife.

Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back