Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 SL VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
e69404-001.jpg

The additive package that showed up on VOA's for M1 HM used to mirror 0W-40, but it looks rather pedestrian now (meaning like the other M1 oils). Ca/Mg is off, low boron, low TBN. Still the best HM oil though, with the HTHS (which Valvoline matches) but high zinc and phos.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
No one comments on the sleeper of an oil, M1 HM 10w30?

Bob thanks for posting.

No I don't consider it a sleeper of an oil but rather an obsolete grade. M1 0W-40 is cheaper and far superior unless for can find the HM 10W-30 on clearance (which is often the case since no OEM spec's a syn 10W-30).
M1 0W-40 has a much higher HTHSV but it is still lighter on start-up at temp's as high as 110F.
If M1 0W-40 is thicker than necessary at operating temp's then lighten it up with some TGMO 0W-20 or HM 5W-20 if you need to keep the ZDDP high.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
The additive package that showed up on VOA's for M1 HM used to mirror 0W-40, but it looks rather pedestrian now (meaning like the other M1 oils). Ca/Mg is off, low boron, low TBN. Still the best HM oil though, with the HTHS (which Valvoline matches) but high zinc and phos.

The magnesium level is hardly pedestrian. It's now more like "German" Castrol 0W-30 SL I think would be more accurate of a statement...

I'm starting a thread on my experiences with this oil, but I have to say that I'm a big fan of using it in higher mileage applications as a cleaner oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back