Interstate Batteries VS WalMart's EverStart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So right now I have an EverStart MAXX under the hood from WalMart. Was just wondering how it compares to an Interstate. I paid $89 for the Maxx in 2009, but haven't checked since to see if it is higher. The Interstate for the truck runs $109 at Northern Tool + Equipment. TIA for your answers.

Both Everstart and Interstate are made by JCI. Find the best price and warranty coverage and choose. Both are equal in quality.

I'm on my 3rd Everstart Maxx JCI battery (in 3 different cars, different sizes, but all souther versions)) and they are great, but all of them seep some electrolite on the top. Am I alone with this?

I haven't had any problems with everstart (or as some call them neverstart) The one in my cadillac (the regular black with read lablel el cheapo) is 5 or 6 years old and when last load tested gave 25 amps above it's rating. once a year a check water level and give a 2 amp charge.

My new (to me) truck has a interstate in it. I'll be doing to same and see how it lasts.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I'm on my 3rd Everstart Maxx JCI battery (in 3 different cars, different sizes, but all souther versions)) and they are great, but all of them seep some electrolite on the top. Am I alone with this?

No, you're not. I see lots of JCI (as well as Exide) batteries leaking electrolyte.

renegade_987, as said before, Everstart and Interstate are both made by Johnson Controls. You can bet that if the warranties are the same or similar, that they're using the same chemistry and plate technology. A JCI battery wouldn't be my first choice, but they have proven to be a decent starting battery.

I have had problems with everstart. I don't know if walmart gets the lower quality batteries or what. but I'm pretty sure it was a johnson control battery and I buy the freshest build date

One word of caution...DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE CLAMPS TO THE POSTS WHEN INSTALLING THE BATTERY.

If when tightening you use too much force it is possible to distort the seal around the posts and they will leak.

This my guess is especially a problem when you let the counter monkey at the chain auto parts place install the battery for you.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

No, you're not. I see lots of JCI (as well as Exide) batteries leaking electrolyte.

renegade_987, as said before, Everstart and Interstate are both made by Johnson Controls. You can bet that if the warranties are the same or similar, that they're using the same chemistry and plate technology. A JCI battery wouldn't be my first choice, but they have proven to be a decent starting battery.

Given almost universal agreement on the poor quality of Exide batteries, if you rule out JC, then that only leaves East Penn among the major battery manufacturers.

Does it mean that both batteries are made to the same quality specs just because Johnson Controls makes them both?

I don't know the answer, just asking.

The reason I ask is that someone on here who worked for a wheel bearing company had once said that the wheel bearings made for one of the auto manufacturers were spec'd lower than the ones they made for over the counter sales.

WalMarts has the best FREE replacement warranty by far on the Maxx. I like Interstate too but, in my area, they sit on the shelve too long and fresh batteries are very important. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
WalMarts has the best FREE replacement warranty by far on the Maxx. I like Interstate too but, in my area, they sit on the shelve too long and fresh batteries are very important. JMO. Ed

I agree, The MAXX batteries sell really fast while the Interstate's are collecting dust. Thanks for the relipes all, good to know they are pretty much the same thing.

I thought that WM had different batt supliers for the everstart line depending on the size and whoever will build it cheapest at the time. remember seeing that the everstart line at any given time had 3 different companies manufacturing, so if you wanted JCI, you actually had to make sure JCI made that SIZE of everstart for WM at that time!

I had a trojan marine batt and an everstart marine batt, both combo duty. the trojan last muuuuch longer. don't know who makes trojan...

M

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
Does it mean that both batteries are made to the same quality specs just because Johnson Controls makes them both?

I don't know the answer, just asking.

The reason I ask is that someone on here who worked for a wheel bearing company had once said that the wheel bearings made for one of the auto manufacturers were spec'd lower than the ones they made for over the counter sales.

When it comes to the battery manufacturing business I'd bet that when it comes to the typical standard battery design like we are talking about there is absolutely NO difference. It would actually be MORE expensive for JCI to have multiple parts to use in them. Economy of scale tells me that there is no difference in these batteries.

Now wheel bearings might be a different story.

I am not sure Everstart is exactly the same as Interstate.
They may be made by the same parent company, but there is so much we do not know!
I have a Walmart Everstart in my ZX2 right now. Great - perfect.

But I still give the nod to Intersate for overall quality and dependability.

Originally Posted By: Eddie

WM had one of the best warranty on the Maxx, but not anymore. Currently the Maxx has 3 years free replacement and NO pro-rated, used to be 90-100 months.

Just bought Motorcraft battery BXT-49 from Ford dealer for my E430, it has 3 years free replacement and 100 months pro-rated for $5 more than the Maxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back