Question about America's Tire warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought tires from AT last month, but didn't buy the "Protect Your Purchase" certificates. Anyhow, today I picked up a nail in one tire. AT claimed it was unrepairable and would have to be replaced. Instead of actually paying for another tire, they said I could just buy the certificates now - which would total less than the cost of the replacement tire. This seemed reasonable to me, so I went for it.

However, tonight I was browsing AT's website and saw that they have FREE prorated road hazard! I don't know exactly how this works, but shouldn't I have gotten a replacement tire without paying much at all? The original tire was only 5 weeks old with very little tread wear.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess that they probably would have said the tire had 90% left and the cost of 10% wear was greater than just purchasing the certificate.

The certs totaled $47.50. The tires were $70 each when I purchased them.

Yes, feeling a little ripped off. I think they were being deceptive because there was no mention of their free prorated road hazard warranty. I thought I was liable for the total cost of the replacement tire, so when they dangled the cert deal in front of me, I bit.

Might be able to look at this more than one way.
I bought new tires at AT last Oct for one of my SUVs, and I bought the certificates along with them. In Dec, > 6k miles later, I got a large screw in a tire and went to AT to have it taken care of. I walked in and explained I'm losing air because of the screw. The counter fella looked up my info on the pc, then sent out a coworker to see if they had another tire of same make & size. I told him to just remove the tire and plug it. Now instead of looking at my vehicle, he wanted to make sure they had a replacement first just in case it's non reparable once they break down the tire and inspect for damage safety wise bla bla bla
They plugged the screw damage since it didn't cause any tire damage, And they rotated & balanced all tires. The fella was telling me even if it went flat and I drove and ate up the tire, the certificate would replace it, no charge. Don't know if I believe all that.

In your case, no certificate, if they pro-rate the tire, then the percentage rated should be the difference of the tire. But, since you now bought the certificate, you might want to look at all your tires (4 on the ground) are now fully covered, even if the mileage has the tires mostly worn out. Not all sure, but that might be a consideration that all have full coverage.
I know if the tires are lets say 75% worn, getting one replaced would no longer provide you a full match set as far a wear goes.
I don't know as I say, just speculation on my part - but I had no hassle and they were ready to put a new tire on my vehicle no questions asked. He just wanted to make sure they had one for me just in case it needed it when they got to inspecting it.

Just my experience. Only negative is I wish they wouldn't put that shiny stuff of the tires when they remounted them, but I forgot to tell them not to in this visit. It was the day before x-mas and I was running around like mad and a lot was running through my mind, and of course I got screwed just to change my day.

I suppose it somewhat depends on what AT would have prorated for the 5 weeks wear. As for the nail being in an unrepairable area, anything close to the outer edge/sidewall cannot be repaired with a plug/patch as shown here. It does 'seem' that you would have been better off going with the proration on a $70 tire.

OTOH, with the certs all four tires are now covered for full replacement in the event of defect or unrepairable road hazard. A very similar thing happened to my son and he bought the certs after purchase, more for peace of mind than anything else. That said, I don't purchase the certs with a tire purchase at DT. Would want to know how the $47.50 was determined.

I would say that if you are not satisfied with the cost, as suggested, you should go back to the store and have a discussion with the manager of that store. I've found DT to be reasonable folks to deal with, but I prefer to deal with the manager. Can't hurt to raise the questions you have here and the points raised here.

Hooray! AT refunded me the entire amount paid ($67.75 total for cert fees and install). Since my tire damage happened just a week over their 30-day unlimited replacement period, they honored it. I decided against the "Protect Your Purchase" certificates, so everything was refunded. Very pleasant staff, no hassles at all.

I'm happy now. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back