Amsoil Warranty Coverage Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked an Amsoil dealer at a trade show about OEM warranty coverage when using their oils that are not certified or licensed to the OEM specs. Specifically dealing with the Audi specs in my case.

He said Amsoil will cover any warranty claim denied by the OEM dealer if the claim is denied due to the wrong oil being used. Same story for commercial diesel engines.

Does anybody know of an instance when Amsoil covered such warranty repairs?

I know they will cover if you are within their specific warranty...IE One year or 25 K or 15 K or one year etc etc.

However, Amsoil would have to reccomend officially, a specific oil for your application.

If your a former lube industry insider.....You should know?

im not saying anything bad about amsoil but i will say this sometimes the car manufactures want to play games and not cover things... Lemon law will help get your car fixed and get a cash settlement in some cases or even a new car...If you dont use the oil that the car manufacture wants you to use it makes winning a lemon law case a little harder,,, so say you lose this lemon law case and then you go to the oil company (whoever it may be) and they do an investigation and then find it had nothing to do with the oil and they also deny your claim by this time it could be six months or more without a car so now you are fighting them in court yet again this time in special civil.....
Get it??? Use what they say to use or if you have problems the car companies will try to weisel out of paying in most cases...
My wife is a Lawyer she does not do lemon law but someone in her office does and this came from him!
Your money, your time, your car...

When I have to process OEM Warranty engine replacements, there are one of two requirements that need to be submitted for approval. Either the customer has to have oil change receipts each 6 months or 7,500 miles -OR- if they do not have receipts, photos of the pan, pick up tube, cam shafts, valve cover, photo of crank area. If there are no signs of sludge from neglect then the warranty repair will be approved with out any issues. Never have I had the factory mention anything regarding oil weights, API ratings, or anything else like that.

As far as Amsoil goes, somewhere on this site there is a post about a customer who had a Toyota truck. The engine failed because the Ea oil filter reached full capacity, restricted flow, etc, ruined the engine. (this happened of course before Amsoil changed their 25k intervals on certain EA filters). The owner of the truck was in contact with Amsoil, and Amsoil ended paying for the replacement of the engine. I believe that the post was brought over from a Toyota forum, and the owner of the vehicle even posted a photo of the check for repair from Amsoil. That is the only real case I know of where an engine has been proved to fail because of the an Amsoil product, and they did stand behind it. That is as much as I know about it.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
He said Amsoil will cover any warranty claim denied by the OEM dealer if the claim is denied due to the wrong oil being used

Maybe you could clarify that statement a bit.......basically read 5 e - Amsoil will challenge the dealer if somehow the dealer is claiming the damage was caused by the lubricant and it isn't. Amsoil won't cover you if you used the "wrong oil" - ie an oil not recommended by Amsoil for the application.

The things most BITOG people forget or have trouble with is a) your entire factory warranty is not void by using Amsoil b) the manufacturer has the burden of proof upon them to prove the lubricant caused the failure and c) a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim if the lubricant meets all the physical/chemical requirements for the stated/required lubricant, even if it's not manufacturer approved.

Amsoil has paid some claims in the past - the only ones I know about are Toyota. During the early days of sludge one guy went 25K in his Camry and NEVER checked the oil at all, it went low on oil and sludge - Amsoil paid (I'm thinking they didn't have to). The other one involves a first generation Ea0 oil filter and a exploding Toyota conn rod.....after seeing that thread recently, I wonder......anyway, Amsoil bought the guy a used engine.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
When I have to process OEM Warranty engine replacements, there are one of two requirements that need to be submitted for approval. Either the customer has to have oil change receipts each 6 months or 7,500 miles -OR- if they do not have receipts, photos of the pan, pick up tube, cam shafts, valve cover, photo of crank area. If there are no signs of sludge from neglect then the warranty repair will be approved with out any issues. Never have I had the factory mention anything regarding oil weights, API ratings, or anything else like that.

As far as Amsoil goes, somewhere on this site there is a post about a customer who had a Toyota truck. The engine failed because the Ea oil filter reached full capacity, restricted flow, etc, ruined the engine. (this happened of course before Amsoil changed their 25k intervals on certain EA filters). The owner of the truck was in contact with Amsoil, and Amsoil ended paying for the replacement of the engine. I believe that the post was brought over from a Toyota forum, and the owner of the vehicle even posted a photo of the check for repair from Amsoil. That is the only real case I know of where an engine has been proved to fail because of the an Amsoil product, and they did stand behind it. That is as much as I know about it.

When I worked at the dealer( Ford )in parts and service we did request proof from customers of proper maintenance before proceeding with engine repairs all the time unless we had records of the work done at our shop. "Proper" included done on time AND the correct weight and certified/rated oils used as well as the correct filter.

When my Sister lost the 3.5L V6 engine in her 2006 Impala GM requested proof from the dealer before authorizing the new engine. They either wanted dealer records OR a maintenance log and receipts from her documenting the right stuff was used and that it was done on time. She had all the work done at the dealer so the dealer verified it to GM and it went through immediately.

Don't forget the guy who posted on her recently with the blown Toyota motor( not the newest one with the thrown rod in the 3.4L ). Toyota required proof from him. As I recall they wanted proof of 7 OC's done with the correct fluids and filter.

It isn't a 100% sure thing that you will be asked for proof that you did your maintenance on time AND used the correct parts/fluids. However, what is a sure thing is the car mfg has the right to request it from you and you best have it to give them or it gives them a way out barring some lengthy court process you may or may not win.

With all car mfg's hurting now along with the rest of us you can bet your last buck that warranty claims are being scrutinized more than ever. Use the correct parts and fluids period.

Last edited:
^^ They asked for proof where I worked too. In fact I saw cars sit weeks while things got sorted out. After screaming in the shop the customer would come and scream at the salesman who sold them the car. Somethings aren't worth the hassle IMO, follow the OM, use approved oils, change at the required interval, and keep good records. It will make life easier in the event of a problem while under warranty.

If you plan on running Amsoil use one of their API certified oils while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^ They asked for proof where I worked too. In fact I saw cars sit weeks while things got sorted out. After screaming in the shop the customer would come and scream at the salesman who sold them the car. Somethings aren't worth the hassle IMO, follow the OM, use approved oils, change at the required interval, and keep good records. It will make life easier in the event of a problem while under warranty.

If you plan on running Amsoil use one of their API certified oils while under warranty.

01.gif

Excellent advice and a no brainer to me. The correct weight XL or OE, changed on time( according to car mfg ), while under warranty = no hassle with your warranty. If you like Amsoil these are your best options while under warranty and both are good oils.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
I asked an Amsoil dealer at a trade show about OEM warranty coverage when using their oils that are not certified or licensed to the OEM specs. Specifically dealing with the Audi specs in my case.

He said Amsoil will cover any warranty claim denied by the OEM dealer if the claim is denied due to the wrong oil being used. Same story for commercial diesel engines.

Does anybody know of an instance when Amsoil covered such warranty repairs?

I know there is an instance at our ford dealership where vehicle owner was doing the 1 year or 25,000 mile intervals. Sadly the vehicle WAS under warranty, but the dealership came to the conclusion that the cause of engine failure was due to lubrication, or lack of it. Long story short, there wasn't a happy ending. His problem rests on Amsoil now, whether or not they WILL warranty it.

It helps a ton to have your records and receipts. It helps more to do them (oil changes) under the manufacturer's specified change intervals too! That's what done him in.

Originally Posted By: kemo

I know there is an instance at our ford dealership where vehicle owner was doing the 1 year or 25,000 mile intervals. Sadly the vehicle WAS under warranty, but the dealership came to the conclusion that the cause of engine failure was due to lubrication, or lack of it. Long story short, there wasn't a happy ending. His problem rests on Amsoil now, whether or not they WILL warranty it.

So is Amsoil talking to Ford or just the dealer? Do you know the customer? Has he actually contacted Amsoil? What is Ford saying? What is Amsoil saying?

Unless Ford can actually prove (no, not just say) the lubricant failed, then they still may be on the hook. And if the lubricant didn't fail, and an engine part failed, they are on the hook. Now if the owner didn't check his oil "lack of it" - then he is screwed. There are people who, regardless of warnings, don't even check their oil, extended OCI's aren't for them.

That's all I know about it since last year, me from being there, and my buddy for being one of the techs. Heck, for all we know, and as far as Amsoil knows, he could have been using a different oil
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
johnny what kind of dealer do you work for ? GM, Ford, Toyota..?

I currently work am working with Nissan and GM. In the past I've been with Chrysler and Mitsubishi.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: Johnny248

When I worked at the dealer( Ford )in parts and service we did request proof from customers of proper maintenance before proceeding with engine repairs all the time unless we had records of the work done at our shop. "Proper" included done on time AND the correct weight and certified/rated oils used as well as the correct filter.

When my Sister lost the 3.5L V6 engine in her 2006 Impala GM requested proof from the dealer before authorizing the new engine. They either wanted dealer records OR a maintenance log and receipts from her documenting the right stuff was used and that it was done on time. She had all the work done at the dealer so the dealer verified it to GM and it went through immediately.

Don't forget the guy who posted on her recently with the blown Toyota motor( not the newest one with the thrown rod in the 3.4L ). Toyota required proof from him. As I recall they wanted proof of 7 OC's done with the correct fluids and filter.

It isn't a 100% sure thing that you will be asked for proof that you did your maintenance on time AND used the correct parts/fluids. However, what is a sure thing is the car mfg has the right to request it from you and you best have it to give them or it gives them a way out barring some lengthy court process you may or may not win.

With all car mfg's hurting now along with the rest of us you can bet your last buck that warranty claims are being scrutinized more than ever. Use the correct parts and fluids period.

I you look at most oil change receipts, they will say something along the line of

"5w30 Oil" or "10w30 Oil" you are starting to split hairs trying to prove that a customer did not use a API-Whatever rating. In my experience, is that if you have a legitimate engine failure under warranty and you have maintenance records showing you changed your oil within the manual intervals, then you should be good to go.

One thing that I did forget to mention, is that when maint records are requested (at least through Nissn), only a receipt that shows the Vin #, Mileage, and Date. If you have a slip from Joe Blows auto repair that says "Sam Jones, Impala, LOF, Paid" that is not an acceptable receipt.

Anyway, the legal costs involved for a manufacture to try to fight someone over a engine failure trying to claim that there was the wrong weight oil, or api cert, or anything is is far more trouble than most want to go thru. Bottom line, have maint records with the proper info, and you are pretty much good to go.

I agree with Pablo and buster in their last posts. Definitely must check your oil level constantly for extended OCIs; as per your application's needs. Even more so if a leaky gasket occurred and you didn't top off; even though you fixed the gasket leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back