Amsoil SVG 75W-90, VOA with TAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

Here is a recent VOA of Amsoil SVG 75W-90. Supposedly, Amsoil had a formulation tweaking late last year (2010) and I was curious to see how/if it differed from the last VOA, which was performed in January 2008. See that VOA here.

E55333.jpg

So less of everything but thicker? Wonder what else they have going on in there...

Originally Posted By: btanchors
All,

Here is a recent VOA of Amsoil SVG 75W-90. Supposedly, Amsoil had a formulation tweaking late last year (2010) and I was curious to see how/if it differed from the last VOA, which was performed in January 2008. See that VOA here.

E55333.jpg

I bet supertech from walmart would have a better additive package than that. Why do we waste 14 dollars/qt on this stuff if it has such a weak additive package. I just might switch over to royal purple. at least it has 120ppm of moly.

^You do realize that the sample results B_S uses only show additives that were metallic in nature and hardly shows what it 'only' has?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

I bet supertech from walmart would have a better additive package than that. Why do we waste 14 dollars/qt on this stuff if it has such a weak additive package. I just might switch over to royal purple. at least it has 120ppm of moly.

-because not all gear lube additives show up on a VOA

-because additives comprise one component of how well a gear lube will perform, there's the base oil to consider as well

Are you really familiar enough with gear lube additives and chemistry to determine what is a "better" additive pack?

Add in the fact that Blackstone is absolutely terrible in determining P in VOA's, and you have some pretty flimsy ground for comparison. A $25 VOA is not a method for choosing a motor oil, so why would it work for gear oil?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Add in the fact that Blackstone is absolutely terrible in determining P in VOA's, and you have some pretty flimsy ground for comparison. A $25 VOA is not a method for choosing a motor oil, so why would it work for gear oil?

I have had duplicate samples of vigin oil tested by multiple labs and observed significant differences in additive levels. I think you raise a valid point about choosing a product based on VOA...it is a poor way to select a lubricant. The proof is in the pudding, AMSOIL's gear lubes maintain viscosity and control wear very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back