Valvoline 5W-30. 5,103 miles, 2010 Traverse DI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 3rd UOA has come in.
30,677 on the engine.
5,103 on oil.
Oil Life Monitor @ 49%
Filter used- PF-48
Oil used- Valvoline Premium Conventional 5W-30. (Dino oil)
What I like to point out about this oil- is that I buy it on sale- $2.40 a quart- cant beat that.
The oil was the older- ILSAC-GF4. (I do have the new Valvoline ILSAC-GF5 in my supply- but I want to use up the GF-4 1st)
Removed 4.7 quarts (out of 5.5)
New air filter installed.
The 1st 4200 miles were Los Angeles to Florida- and back to Los Angeles. The last 903 miles were my typical morning and evening rush hour traffic- along with combined city/hwy travel
As for the LA-FL trip. Cargo bag on roof rack, hitch mounted cargo rack, cargo behind 3rd row, 4 adults+ 1 baby. Average speeds- about 70 MPH is the speed I tried to stay at.
The previous 2 UOA were also Valvoline.

30677-UOA.jpg

Originally Posted By: rbarrios

The 1st 4200 miles were Los Angeles to Florida- and back to Los Angeles.

As you know HWY miles in good weather are the ultimate in easy miles for an oil. But having said that many owners of this same engine could have left their vehicle only in the driveway and then done a UOA and the wear #s would be similar or worse
blush.gif
. It is clear this oil works incredibly well in this application and there is no need to do anymore UOAs for the foreseeable future. Superb results.

[I imagine that the consumption you see in this OCI (and in none of the previous) is due to the huge % of HWY mileage done by this vehicle in this run]

Last edited:
Wow, that's a nice report. If you get into more severe service, see if the OLM drops faster in less mileage and retest if you want to for comparison.

Im pleased with these results.
And I agree that Hwy miles are much easier than city.
Ive posted these pics on the Lambda forum.
We weren't exactly slicing thru the air-- hehe. I did try to make my bag as small as possible by making it flat with bunjee cords. The cargo rack had about 60 glass bottles of soft drinks as well as a cooler. 4 adults and a baby-
We were actually heavy enough to be riding on the rear suspension bumpers. Im just saying- the vehicle was not 'empty' and performed well and returned excellent mileage.
Fuel Usage.
from below- we were getting 23.x MPG.
on the return trip with more wind- we got lower- thought still got 1 tank with 23. the worst 18.x going thru Indio, CA.

gas up DIC TRIP/DIC GAL/GAL PUMPED/ DIC MPG/HAND CAL/AVG SPEED DIC
1 349.6 14.9 15.0 23.4 23.3 64.5
2 110.7 4.9 5.8 22.4 19.0 55.9
3 313.5 13.8 13.2 22.7 23.7 59.3 (86 Octane)
4 250.9 10.8 11.1 23.2 22.6 63.7 (86 Octane)
5 299.3 13.8 13.7 21.5 21.8 62.6
6 340.1 15.2 15.2 22.3 22.3 66.5
7 433.9 18.9 18.8 22.9 23.0 64.2

DSC01950.jpg

DSC02195.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Wow, that's a nice report. If you get into more severe service, see if the OLM drops faster in less mileage and retest if you want to for comparison.

as it turns out- this trip gave me about 100 miles per 1% of the OLM...
same thing Ive gotten before. 100-103 miles per 1%. on all my oil changes. I thought that was interesting.. as I figures Id get more Miles per 1% since it was all highway.

yes rated for 24 MPG.
and expected range for most drivers 19-29 MPG
I have achieved 27 MPG on some drives where we stick to 55-60

Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

as it turns out- this trip gave me about 100 miles per 1% of the OLM...
same thing Ive gotten before. 100-103 miles per 1%. on all my oil changes. I thought that was interesting.. as I figures Id get more Miles per 1% since it was all highway.

I guess the factory OLM is set up that way (100 miles per 1%)

I'm surprised you were riding on the bump stops when the car wasn't exactly LOADED all the way. Must be the soft springs.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'm surprised you were riding on the bump stops when the car wasn't exactly LOADED all the way. Must be the soft springs.

Assuming that wasnt sarcasm...
Quote: "Cargo bag on roof rack, hitch mounted cargo rack, cargo behind 3rd row, 4 adults+ 1 baby"
That could easily be well over a half ton of passengers and cargo. Not to mention the fact it likely was loaded with a little to much rear bias.

Dont know what more you could expect from that lubricant in a DI engine. Simply outstanding.

Last edited:
Wow... better than I expected.
Every time I see these 3.6's UOA'd I'm always looking for at least 20+PPM of Iron etc.
The long trip helps, but man, thats still quite nice.
I love VWB
smile.gif

Nice report on your Traverse.

Maybe I'll follow in your footsteps and move from my Trailblazer to a Traverse next. Is the TB still in the family? How many miles? I know you used to run Valvoline conventional for extended periods with great results in that vehicle.

Still have it.
Trailblazer at about 160,000.
Its now dads car. And he only drives it 2 times a week. Prob gets about 50 miles a week now. Highway miles mostly.
He and I commute to work in the Traverse.

Youre right- I was doing up to 11,500 oil change intervals on the Trailblazer using Valvoline and the OLM. I was doing 2 oil changes a year. Roughly 22,000 miles a year.
It appears Ill be changing the oil in the Trailblazer on a yearly basis now- as its only getting very little miles put on it. the trip meter shows its only gotten about 5500 miles in the past year and a half.
He did recently make a 300 mile trip on the highway- and he said to purred along just fine.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Very good UOA and fuel economy too. Isn't it rated for 24 highway?

Wanted to update. I know on a post I mentioned Id gotten 27 MPG on some trips doing 55-60.
Well just took another trip- on these same roads...
and at 123 miles- I was at 31.3 MPG.
Round trip 333.8 miles, DIC showed 29.2 MPG, 11.4 gal used.
Well I gassed up when we got back- and the same pump I used before we left- auto shut off at 11.5 gal. This gives a Manual calculation of 29 MPG.... My Traverse continues to astound me. 31.3 MPG on this big heavy thing? Round trip of 29 MPG--- astounding!!!!

Not just gas but also the warmer summer air is easier for the car to cut through then cold, dense winter air.

There are just waaay too many variables to consider. I just don't believe the "winter gas" myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back