from Dex VI to Multipurpose ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased an 06 GMC with the 6 speed allison. It specs a Dex VI fluid. What would happen if I used a mulipurpose HD ATF this instead?

The reason I ask is because my company has a whole fleet of these trucks and this is the fluid they use. I haven't heard of any failures, yet, and I don't want to be the first. Would using this and changing more frequently be ok? What if I added the LubeGaurd Platinum to it?

Thanks

Any ATF that states that it is suitable for use in Dexron VI applications is fine. Do not use any fluid that doesn't meet Dexron VI specs.
If the fluid properties are wrong and or the additive package is wrong, you could experience anything from poor shifting to complete mechanical failure.
Do not use any transmission fluid additives...ever...in any transmission. Just buy the right fluid.

Valvoline Max Life claims it meets Dex Vl specs albeit not officially licensed and is a full synthetic fluid.
The opinions here at BITOG seem to be all over the map on this fluid i guess i will have try it myself.

Edit: For Dex and Mercon units lubeguard Red is the way to go although i don't know what properties or benefits it brings to a full synthetic fluid.It will not harm the transmissions.

Last edited:
That Castrol HDMP ATF looks like a very good fluid BUT I don't know about using it in place of Dex VI. It's thicker than D6 (which may or may not be a good thing).
I would use it in a heartbeat in a pre-2005 GM which called for Dex3 as it is most likely a stouter fluid.
Where can you buy it and what's the cost?

Originally Posted By: salv

Do not use any transmission fluid additives...ever...in any transmission. Just buy the right fluid.

Amen to that. To this day I still wonder if a big percentage of the failures Chrysler minivan transmissions had back in the 90s were due to people putting in Dexron and a shot of Lubegard to "turn it into ATF+" (if I had a dollar for every time I read that statement on the Chrysler forums in the 90s, it feels like I'd have a Challenger SRT-8 in the garage right now...). Yes, the 41TE was a poorly executed, buggy, first-generation electronic transaxle. But I've owned a couple and *never* had a low-miles failure or even a limp-mode episode with the correct fluids.

Castrol Heavy Duty Multi–Purpose ATF IS Dexron-III. GM changed the name of the fluid spec to TES-389. It is not suitable for your transmission that is spec'ed for Dexron-VI.

By the way, about MaxLife, it meets only two specs, Dexron-VI and Mercon-LV. It is "recommended" for the transmissions on the long list. This means that it doesn't meet the specs, but is close enough that it'll probably do fine. There is no way for a fluid to meet both Dex-III and Dex-VI--the required viscosity is different. Dex-VI works great in most transmissions that originally called for Dex-III, but that isn't the same as meeting the spec.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

By the way, about MaxLife, it meets only two specs, Dexron-VI and Mercon-LV.

So MaxLife is DexVI approved? I was looking for that, where did you find that info at?

No it isnt it just meets the specs but is not officially licensed.If you want licensed Dex Vl then it will be labeled as such on the front of the bottle.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/automatic-transmission-fluid/36

Quote:
11.Does GM recognize MaxLife ATF and is this an acceptable fluid to use in place of Dexron VI?

GM only recognizes their factory fill fluid for Dexron VI, but Valvoline meets and exceeds the performance requirements for the specification, and we stand behind the product 100% for this specification

Look at your operators manual under fluids.

If your GM vehicle specs the newer GM PSF fluid #89020661 I would highly recommend using an Over-the-Counter mineral oil-based fluid or the new Amsoil PSF. The Amsoil PSF is more closely related additive-wise to the GM fluid than the Redline PSF.

The GM PSF fluid #89020661 is a low detergent fluid with a special S-P AW package.

The Redline PSF has an additive package more suited for manual transmission/transaxles that specify an ATF-like fluid at 7.5 cSt viscosity.

From Redline:
Quote:
This fluid also satisfies power steering units requiring GM PN 1050017 or 1052884 (Spec Number 9985010), Chrysler Spec Number 5931, and Ford Spec Number M2C33-F. It also satisfies the hydraulic specifications of Denison HF-O, Vickers vane pumps, and Sundstrand piston pumps.

Notice, this fluid DOES NOT cover the GM part number #89020661!

If you have an older GM vehicle and it specifies an ATF, then Redline D4 or any DexIII equivalent, or Ford Type "F" fluid should perform just fine.

Last edited:
My apologies.
33.gif

Somehow, my post got posted in here but was meant for a PSF thread.

Take me away, now!
lol.gif

50.gif

Last edited:
Two years ago, Valvoline MaxLife had a higher viscosity that did not comply with Dexron VI specs, but Valvoline recommended it for use in Dexron VI applications anyway. (As a result, I take Valvoline recommendations with a grain of salt.) But the new formulation of MaxLife appears to be an acceptable replacement for Dexron VI. In their online ATF FAQ, Valvoline states that MaxLife is a synthetic fluid. The old product technical sheet (before the viscosity change) explicitly stated that MaxLife was a synthetic. The new one does not; in fact the word "synthetic" is not even mentioned. I suspect that Valvoline is reserving the right to change to conventional base stocks (or a blend) without issuing a new spec sheet. Who knows if the current FAQ is up-to-date?

I recently bought some MaxLife for my next ATF change replacing Super Tech Dexron VI. With a 40% coupon at Advance Auto, it is cheaper in gallon jugs than Super Tech Dexron VI (only available in quarts at my local WM for $3.97). MaxLife looks like a good Dexron VI clone and there is reasonable likelihood that the base stock is synthetic, while Dexron VI typically (and almost assuredly in the case of Super Tech brand) is only a synthetic blend. My application (a 2003 Mazda MPV) has an OE spec of Mazda M-III fluid (which is reportedly based on Dexron II(E)), so I doubt the choice of Dexron VI vs MaxLife makes much difference anyway. Both are far more shear stable than Dexron III.

For the current MaxLife ATF tech sheet, see www.valvoline.com/pdf/Maxlife_ATF.pdf.

For the old MaxLife ATF sheet (circa Feb 2008) see http://replay.web.archive.org/20081226212804/http://www.valvoline.com/products/Dexron%20III%20Mercon.pdf.

Unfortunately, the old sheet archived on Internet Archive [dated 2006] does not include a reference synthetic base stocks, but I have a copy I personally archived dated 8-10-08 that reads
"It is formulated with synthetic base stocks, ...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back