New 2011 Honda Pilot AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Honda SUV. This will be a DD for the wife with about 4k miles per year 90% in town, short trips.

Wondering the following:

1) How long to go on break in oil? I was planning about 2k miles.
2) What filters do you guys like for this vehicle? OEM?
3) What oil / OCI would you suggest for this use?

Thank you!!

The OEM Honda filters are good, I would stick with them. Honda's own 5w20 or 0w20 synthetics are great value too.

Hi.

Follow the owner's manual until the warranty expires. Then you are free to use your judgement to see what oil, and at what interval, to use.

I don't know if Honda advises against removing the factory fill early, since I only own 1 Honda vehicle and the manual doesn't say anything like that, but that is odd. I wonder why those guys would do that.

Anyways, I break in my vehicles the exact same way. Very hard driving at varying engine speeds, for about 30 miles or 30 minutes. It simply makes sure that the pistons/rings seat correctly against the cylinder wall. Then, I go home and change the oil right away. This avoids keeping metal particles, from manufacturing, inside the oil, which could damage your engine.

Legally, you would want to avoid this unless it doesn't specify in the owner's manual. Again, I do not know because I don't own a Pilot. As far as I know, pretty much all manufacturers give a break in routine. However, the break in routine is detrimental to engine performance because if you drive it slow, there may be a chance that consistent sealing will not take place. Later down the road, over the life of the car, you will notice degradation in engine performance and increased oil consumption. Remember, all engines burn oil by design. This is due to the vacuum induced by the 4-stroke cycle. It is natural that some oil gets "sucked" in and is combusted along with the fuel-air mixture.

There will be people who disagree with my technique...that's ok. It's your vehicle, and you should be doing what you feel is best. I have never had piston/cylinder/combustion related problems with my vehicles.

Break in occurs in seconds and minutes. Think about it. How can bits and pieces of the tolerances made during manufacturing...withstand the thousands of pounds of heat, pressure, and abrasion that occurs inside an engine almost immediately? If you do an oil analysis over the course of the initial several thousand miles, the "increased wear metals" is likely due to the lack of changing the factory fill early. Why? Because those metal particles have accumulated in the engine and are now being released with the impending oil changes. That's a good thing. But you must take into account what those particles have been/are doing when you dump the oil. Most likely they have caused unnecessary engine wear. Whether or not it is significant to be noticeable or not...is only noticeable over the life of the vehicle as you use it.

If you are interested in using a higher viscosity oil, you will not hurt your engine. However, you will probably void your warranty if you do that within the warranty period. However, many Honda dealers use 5W-30 regardless of the vehicle. It's a universal multigrade oil so it's cheaper to buy it in bulk than to buy many different kinds.

Honda OEM filters, just like any other filter, are perfectly fine for your car obviously. They are made by a major OEM parts company that also sells under its own brand.

Oil change intervals should be calculated from driving style. If you drive a lot of short trips in extreme temperatures, or in moisture rich areas, I would advise you to change the oil a little earlier than the recommended interval. However, I know that the Pilot comes with an oil life meter. Please keep in mind that it is not an advanced onboard oil analysis device. It records driving style and engine revolution and uses an algorithm to come out with a % oil life. It is not 100% accurate, and won't fit 100% of the people out there. However, I believe it is good enough for 90% of the people out there. If you drive in easier conditions, i.e. long highway drives, you can accept the oil life meter with more confidence. My brother has a Honda Civic with a similar meter. It always tells him to change at around 12,000 miles. He does a lot of varied short trips and long trips. I personally think that is pushing it, but the car operates fine.

Unfortunately, I can't offer too much else. I'm an engineer at Honda, but I don't develop the consumer vehicles. Most of this post is my own opinion, so please take that into account.

Nice vehicle Jason. Your wife better be nice to you. Just follow the owners manual and you will get tired of driving it before it wears out. The Honda 5W-20 oil is a good product but if you want to use something else, you would be hard pressed to find a better product for it than Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20. Using that in both of my Honda's and neither use a drop of oil between changes and I always use Honda oil and air filters.

I largely agree with dtt004's thoughtful reply (with exception of the heavier oil grade suggestion).

But many will say to leave the FF in for a full normal OCI because the manufacturer doesn't suggest an early change.
And others say that the Honda FF is unique, light high moly oil so leave it in.

IMO if you want to change the oil out early, stick with the Honda Brand 0W-20 grade as it contains a boat load of moly or any other Japanese OEM 0W-20 oil from Toyota, ENEOS oe Subaru as the formulations are similar. After 10,000 miles or so use what ever 20wt oil you want.

Originally Posted By: JasonVW
My first Honda SUV. This will be a DD for the wife with about 4k miles per year 90% in town, short trips.

Wondering the following:

1) How long to go on break in oil? I was planning about 2k miles.
2) What filters do you guys like for this vehicle? OEM?
3) What oil / OCI would you suggest for this use?

Thank you!!

Did that new car come with an owner's manual?
-There is a section warning you against draining the factory fill too early.

-Honda filters will work just fine be they Filtech or Honeywell.

-Also in the owner's manual is a section on the oil life monitor. It tells you when to change the oil.

There's a lot of information in that little book but it does little good in the glove box.....give it the once over.

1st. You can change the FF early or go with MM.
2nd. Honda OEM Oil Filter
3rd. If you are driving 4000 miles a year, go with regular dino. Honda OEM oil, MotorCraft, Mobil 1..

I imagine you have already changed your oil by now or what have you, but for future readers who find this post, what I did with my girlfriends new 2011 CRV was the following:

At 1,000 miles, I bought a new bucket at the hardware store. Cleaned it with dish soap (I'm meticulous). Let it dry. Drained the oil (with engine cold, so as not to react with the plastic bucket). Changed the filter. Discarded the oil from the filter, but put the oil from the drain pan (approx. 4 Qts) back into the engine. In summation, I changed the oil filter, but not the oil. However, about 0.3 Qt were discarded with the filter and replaced with OEM. After draining the oil, I could see a lot of small shiny metal particles in the oil when i held the bucket in the sun, lightly tilted it to the side, then righted it, allowing a film to coat the side of the bucket in the sunlight. Kinda makes you uneasy pouring metal filled oil back into the engine, but the new filter seemed to have gotten most of it:

At 2,700 miles, i repeated the above filter changing procedure. This time the oil was much cleaner. Only a few small pieces of metal in the bottom of the bucket.

I hope this post helps anyone else who, like me, is faced with the dilemma of wanting to get all that metal out of the newly broken in engine oil, but still still would like to keep the Honda break in fluid in the engine, until the recommended change interval.

I would follow the manual, which I believe states to follow the computer as to when to change the oil for the first change and every change.

I have an 07 Pilot, and I recall the only thing theyu dint want you to do during the break in period was use cruise control, so I would avoid that.

Honda Pilot engine's are very easy on oil and not generally know to have problems.

Just follow the Maintenace Minderr for OCI.

the pIlot is very easy to maintain, the ATF, the VTM and filters are all very easy to change. I would recomend ONLY HONDA brand for ATF and 100 percent do not deviate away from Honda brand VTM, as far as oil filters I only use M1 or Honda brand, but I'm sure other brands would work fine too.

Oh yeah--when buying Honda brand fluifds/filters, be sure to get prices from as many dealerships as you can and then compare them to online prices.

Last edited:
I'd keep the factory fill in until the Maintenence Minder system tells you to change the oil.

I'd personally use Wix or Bosch Premium or Purolator Pure 1 filters vs Honda's FRAM.

As for oil, I don't think it matters as long as its a 5w20 and meets the requirements in the manual (me personally, I'm a Pennzoil guy as you can see from my signature)

Also one note, change out the transmission fluid and rear diff fluids early (I'd do a drain and fill every 20-25K miles or earlier if the maintenance minder tells you do it earlier). Other then that good purchase, enjoy the truck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back