oil for drag racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to the forums. I drag race a 225" racetech dragter with a 468 BBC on methanol ( roller lifters). The builder of the engine recommended that I use Pennzoil 10w-40 and change it every 20 passes. I did that last year and have apparently not had any issues. ( although I have yet to pull a rod bearing a look for wear). With all the reading on the website, talking with friends that I race with, I see opinions on oil are like a$$holes...we all got one. So given that, I am looking for some more opinions on oils for drag racing with a Meth engine and some recommendations on weights. I have been looking at the Brad Penn oils in 10w-40 and at the Rotella T 15w-40. Anybody have any experience with the oils? Any opinions? Thanks for any help! -Mark

Last edited:
REdline, or RP XPR 3.1. FYI oil opinions are like religions everybody WORSHIPS one...but some are just CRAZY. A$$holes is when some people's opinion stinks...HHHAAAHHH

The Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 oils are pretty decent race oils from my experience. I run the straight 40 wt. in my street/strip Dodge 440. You may want to try this oil over a 10w-40 even if you're going to change it often due to the methanol. Pennzoil GT 25w-50 is supposed to be a decent oil also. At my local track, most of the higher class racers tend to use Penn Grade 1 although some do use Valvoline VR-1. Good luck and hope I have been a little bit of help.

P.S. Welcome to the Forums!
smile.gif

Last edited:
A great one is Amsoil Dominator series. Purpose built racing oil.

The number one Ford builder uses Royal Purple XPR.

Lots of choices.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
A great one is Amsoil Dominator series. Purpose built racing oil.

The number one Ford builder uses Royal Purple XPR.

Lots of choices.

This. I know that really like RP...

everyone i know running alcohol use vr1 20/50 or sae50

rotella is a good oil but the high detergents tend to foam with high rpms

With an engine like that, I'd tend to go for a true racing oil. Add another vote for Redline or Royal Purple XPR.

Penn Grade 1 is a true racing oil. Tom Hemphill from Clarkburgh, PA uses it in his Top Sportsman engine and many race engine builders recommend it.

since no one has mentioned joe gibbs i will. its probably the best race oil out there.

vr1 is also a "true race oil" and affordable.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
Penn Grade 1 is a true racing oil. Tom Hemphill from Clarkburgh, PA uses it in his Top Sportsman engine and many race engine builders recommend it.

Maybe... but Brad Penn's advertising turns me off. They practically brag that the crude is so good that they hardly have to refine it at all (yes, I'm exaggerating a little). NOT a selling point in my book...

As others mentioned, there are other good racing oils out there- Gibbs, Roush, Valvoline, Amsoil. But for the OP's engine, I stand by my pick of Redline or RP XPR.

He's going to be changing the oil every 20-25 runs. I doubt he wants to use something that costs $10-11 per qt. I don't know how many quarts his sump holds but a boutique oil would get very expensive very quickly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemi426
He's going to be changing the oil every 20-25 runs. I doubt he wants to use something that costs $10-11 per qt. I don't know how many quarts his sump holds but a boutique oil would get very expensive very quickly.

That's a very good point and certainly argues in favor of a less expensive oil... but then rebuilding the engine is even more expensive. At any rate, if it were mine I'd feel better with something a little more robust than a street car oil like PYB 10w40. I'd also research what oils are the most methanol tolerant.

That's why I chimed in about Penn Grade 1 Racing Dino or Synthetic. It's a good race oil and more economical than Redline, Amsoil Dominator, etc.

It takes 11 quarts total. I'm almost thinking this is why the builder suggested what he did as far as a generic auto oil with the Pennzoil 10w-40 and the frequency of change. After the oil sits a week, the creme tends to sit at the bottom and can be even drained off. Other than that, the oil really doesn't look bad. The Valvoline and the Brad Penn oils seems like they might be a better compromise...even though I hear alot of good about RP and Redline. $8-$11 qt is pretty high. My other concerns is with viscosity. Most racing oils are 15w-40 or 20w-50. Being most wear is on start-up, is the 20 too thick?

Last edited:
Geez, man. I guess that custom built motor isn't worth a good oil?

I run Dominator in a blown big block Chevy stroker in a go-fast boat. the reason is then I don't have to run such a heavy weight.

Available in 5w-20, 10w-30, and 15w-50 weights.

Steve,

Never said it wasn't worth a good oil. What I wonder about is the true benefit of 12$/qt oil vs a $6/qt oil when the oil is changed so frequently.( btw...I know a guy that was a test engineer at Delphi for GM who runs a blown alcohol motor in his drag car and he swears by Rotella.) Are there any additional lubrication benefits or wear inhibitors that aren't in the so called "auto" oils...and what are they? If it's ZDDP, then why wouldn't a Brad Penn, Shaeffer, or Valvoline be okay? These oils supposedly say for "exotic fuels". The oil 101 of this forum sure has been intriguing and full of great info, but it sure has left me with more questions than answers. I have even considered alternating different oil and sending them out for evaluation.

Last edited:
High strung,

No worries, man, it's your rig.

I have a drag racing bud who runs straight 30w Delo in his 9000 rpm small block, so it'll work.

Just remember the Dominator is a purpose built racing oil. That's what separates it from many other choices.

On another note, I can't believe you go 25 passes between changes. To some of us that's a lot of running, and you're putting a LOT of alky through that blower!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back