1994 Ranger Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a recommendation on oil and filter for my 1994 Ford Ranger. I did a search here for similar cases, but didn't readily find one, so here goes. From the sticky:

1. 1994 Ford Ranger 3.0 engine, manual transmission
2. Owner's manual recommends SAE 5W-30.
3. I live in Northern Virginia
4. I drive easy; I think I went 80,000 miles before the brakes needed work. I change the oil usually at 3000 miles, but I'll drive it up to 5K if I can't get to it.
5. Currently, daily drive is less than three miles (four stop signs/lights). Weekends get some longer duty, around town, maybe a trip out of town to pick up something from a store, etc.
6. Engine has always used some oil (at least since about 35,000 miles). I usually have to add a half quart between oil changes.

I currently use Castrol GTX 5W-30 and Fram filters.

Would a switch to Havoline make any difference?

Josh

My goal is to get 8+ more years out of this vehicle, which would take me up until retirement.

with 5k oci it and ez driving it would not matter what you use...3.0s are durable engines

I wd suggest using Motorcraft 5/20 oil. I believe Ford has back spec'd your vehicle to this viscosity. Also consider using the proper Motorcraft oil filter.

Last edited:
A matter of opinion I suppose but I don't see why switching to a 5w20 would be of any advantage. I agree with the above though that Motorcraft oil filters would be a better choice. They are reasonably priced and of a much higher quality than Fram. I suggest using Motorcraft filters on any and all Fords, it's all my 4.0 Ranger has had and will have. Any name brand API labeled 5w30 at your intervals will keep that engine running forever, we have a 3.0 Vulcan powered Tempo in the family and that motor is just bulletproof. I'd stick with the GTX 5w30, or if you feel like changing it up Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil super or Valvoline would be my choices.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
I wd suggest using Motorcraft 5/20 oil. I believe Ford has back spec'd your vehicle to this viscosity. Also consider using the proper Motorcraft oil filter.

not to be rude but putting 5/20 IN A HIGH MILEAGE engine thats was originally spec-d 5/30 is not the smartest thing to do. especially when it consumes oil.

+1 on the motorcraft filter!! quality product at a great price, far superior to the orange can of death.

to the op: gtx is a good oil! with the miles stacking up and with the consumption maybe you should switch to GTX High Mileage. its very resistant to burn off among other things, it will serve you well

welcome2.gif
to bitog

There is a great reason to switch to 5w20 and a bad one.
Gas mileage. You will get .5 mpg better with 5w20 at the expense of slightly lower engine life.
Since there are so many variables to engine life we could not begin to calculate if and how much lower it may be. The difference could be minimal.

I would continue the 5W-30 every 3-5K miles like you're doing. Have you changed the PCV valve recently? It may help with the consumption... Otherwise a 1/2 quart loss every 3-5K mils is pretty good. Does it leak any oil?

+1 on Motorcraft filters.

Changing over to a 5w-20 will not harm your engine in any way it may increase your mpg but it would most likely not be very much if any. Stay with the 5w-30 GTX you can extend your oci to 5k miles with no problem,and yes,do switch to a Motorcraft filter far superior to Fram and you should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back