Fram PH3387A, 5k miles, unknown time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Fram PH3387A filter taken from a 2005 Chevrolet Impala ran for 5000 miles. Car has around 50k miles on it. I do not know the time the filter was in-service. I imagine it ran 5w30 VWB. ADBV sealed fine, as did the bypass valve on the endcaps. That being said, this was from my father's car, and he said he was thinking of avoiding Fram from now on. I suggested the Quaker State's from Menards - $2 for a Purolator Classic.

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0751.JPG

Last edited:
Not too bad for a Fram. The end-caps held up the pleats are a little buckled and it seems to have trapped some contaminants and dirt. Looks like the filter worked for 5K.

However, there are much better filters out on the market for the same, if not less, of the price of a Fram.

ABerns, Thanks for sharing all those pics of your day's work. It looks like the P1 would be the value leader IMO. Thanks again.FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Short tripper? - seems like water in the oil - thats what causes the media to grow and S-bend.

I've seen bent media on new filters.

Although it looks like the Fram held up ok, it just looks too cheap. The end caps look horrible and the media looks sooo frail. Fram just plain sucks.

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
Although it looks like the Fram held up ok, it just looks too cheap. The end caps look horrible and the media looks sooo frail. Fram just plain sucks.

Yeah, the media can hold up in some cases, but like you said, it may be more prone to failure than at other times. This particular filter wasn't what convinced my Dad to switch - it was this one, also taken off of one of his vehicles:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090246

I put on a PureONE, so I'll cut that open and see the difference.

Originally Posted By: ABerns

Yeah, the media can hold up in some cases, but like you said, it may be more prone to failure than at other times. This particular filter wasn't what convinced my Dad to switch - it was this one, also taken off of one of his vehicles:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2090246

I put on a PureONE, so I'll cut that open and see the difference.

Wow!!!! just checked out that older post. That made me laugh so hard! Thank you.

I am not saying that Frams are the best but I dont understand why many will complain about the endcaps being cardboard while the element on many filters,is paper.

The endcaps look fine,they look to have held up well and are still in shape.

This filter doesnt look that bad,there are pics of other filters on the board that look about the same and are said to be good.

Which SAE test quantifies how a filter looks?

I guess it'll save companies a lot of money if they can test their filters by looking at them.

I can see the display at Autozone now...."Brand X has 2000% more awesome-looking filter material than brand Y".....

Love seeing these threads with pics of the filters but the price difference up here still kills me!! That $2 QS filter is $6.99 up here.

This is the filter for my wife's G6 and I have to say even though looks aren't everything, I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon. Personally I like the idea of metal end caps much better and I don't think any of the filter studies have shown these to filter that great. Usually in the bottom side of the list. I've been using Wix and looking at changing, won't be to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back