2009 Honda Fit 10k OCI Mobil 1 AFE 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
25k on car, 10k on oil, oil life indicator at 15% and "change needed" indicator had just come on. Driving was 70/30 highway/city.

Analysis lab: AVlube.com

I'm happy with the wear metals here, but not impressed with the oxidation and nitration numbers. I may have to go to a shorter OCI with this oil. OR may have to go with a more robust oil? Suggestions?

Code:

Iron 16

Chromium 1

Lead 0

Copper 3

Tin 2

Aluminum 15

Nickel 1

Silver 0

Vanadium 0

Silicon 16

boron 58

Sodium 10

Potassium 4

Magnesium 12

Calcium 2123

Phosphorus 493

Zinc 800

Moly 106

Barium 0

Visc 100c cst 7.79

Fuel NA

Glyc NA

Soot 0

Oxidation 19 ***

Nitration 13.4 ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't put Rotella in your FIT. Anyway's the nitration oxidation #s are not bad at all, I am going to double check the M1 Website but I don't think your oil thickened at all. For a 10K run these #'s are not too shabby at all. I would have no qualms sticking with this oil. What did you change to?

Last edited:
Assuming wear metals in a UOA mean anything, they could be better. We've seen better 10k UOAs on Honda engines. However, we are talking ppm. Some people wouldn't be worried until it surpassed 100 ppm with their favorite oil. Still a decent report.

Good to see a decent UOA on this oil, in this car, used mostly highway! Our Fit uses M1 0w-20 for mostly highway driving. OLM has us changing at 12k miles. It doesn't use any that I can detect/remember in that time.

I don't know much about AVlube. Looks good to me, but Al is high.

Your wear numbers aren't really high, but they will come down. Remember this oil change started at 15K.

So here's my question. What's so wrong/bad with the oxidation/nitration numbers??

Oxidation 19 ***
Nitration 13.4 ***

What are the virgin numbers?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Good to see a decent UOA on this oil, in this car, used mostly highway! Our Fit uses M1 0w-20 for mostly highway driving. OLM has us changing at 12k miles. It doesn't use any that I can detect/remember in that time.

shocked.gif
So the OLM is set to run dino oil up to 12k?!?

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't know much about AVlube. Looks good to me, but Al is high.

I believe AVlube uses Polaris Labs to do their analysis.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

So here's my question. What's so wrong/bad with the oxidation/nitration numbers??

Oxidation 19 ***
Nitration 13.4 ***

What are the virgin numbers?

Good question. I emailed AVlube to ask, but they said I'd have to send in a virgin sample. IIRC, the numbers start out low and go to 50, where anything much past 20-30 = really bad...but I really don't know why they flagged these as out of normal. I'll report back if I get a better response. On other oils I 've had them check I remember seening ox and nit #s quite a bit higher than these (which were also flagged).

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: sciphi

shocked.gif
So the OLM is set to run dino oil up to 12k?!?

Yup, on 3.8 qt too. My friend's 09 Fit goes about 11k between services, and she had been following that up until recently. I've started her on a 5k schedule again as I noticed that the engine started making a lot of clatter during cold starts once the oil got past 5k.

^Wow and i thought my 2007 Civic EX auto's OLM coming on @ 7-8k was a lot. I use synthetic and feel pretty confident going over 8k but not on conventional.

is that mostly highway miles? cause i just can't imagine racking up 11k in mostly city driving. That would take a YEAR

Originally Posted By: Artem
^Wow and i thought my 2007 Civic EX auto's OLM coming on @ 7-8k was a lot. I use synthetic and feel pretty confident going over 8k but not on conventional.

is that mostly highway miles? cause i just can't imagine racking up 11k in mostly city driving. That would take a YEAR

On my friend's car, it's about 50-60% short trip city driving and the rest is 2k mile road trips.

When I had the oil changed at the dealer this week, there was 5k on the oil and the OLM showed 60% remaining.

The oil is doing a great job no need to change a thing. You may as well go to dino if you are going to shorten you OCIs.

i feel like Honda is pushing the OCI's a little too far on these tiny oil sump engines. Freaking EPA and their [censored].
mad.gif

No TBN? would've helped here.
Any consumption?

Stick with the 10k intervals. Give the Synpower, Edge, Honda, Toyota, Amsoil, Eneos, Platinum......0w20's a run too. That'll keep you busy over the next gazillion miles.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
No TBN? would've helped here.
Any consumption?

Stick with the 10k intervals. Give the Synpower, Edge, Honda, Toyota, Amsoil, Eneos, Platinum......0w20's a run too. That'll keep you busy over the next gazillion miles.

TBN is an extra $6 or something, and yeah since I'm already spending $18 it's kinda silly not to do it, but oh well.

Car doesn't consume a drop. This was an 11 month interval too, no topup oil added, no change in level. We also did a crazy Yosemite camping trip with the car packed full of gear, two kids, and a dog...seriously a sight to behold! The Fit is so roomy, it's like an optical illusion when you crawl inside. Kinda like a clown car. Anyway, I had that engine screaming at 4-5k rpms for long pulls up some pretty impressive hills, so made the oil really work during that trip (~1k miles).

I'm now considering something along the lines of changing the filter out at 5-6k and topping up with 1/2qt or whatever spills out during the filter change. That should get this car to 10-11k OCIs with flying colors. I don't plan to try a bunch of different oils and I don't plan to re-analyse the oil until 100k or more or something seems to be going on with engine performance, etc.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back