EcoBoost torture engine tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.
was done live at NAIAS on Jan 15: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/01/wha...looks-like.html

EcoBoost1.png

EcoBoost2.png

EcoBoost3.png

EcoBoost4.png

EcoBoost5.png

After the Baja 1000 (it finished first in stock engine class) it was sent back to Ford and put on the dyno and produced 364 HP and 420 LB-FT. A leak down test revealed 13% leakage in one cylinder, the rest were normal.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I want to see the intake valves!!!

Me too, hopefully someone who goes to NAIAS will take some photos of them and post them on the 'net.

interesting block!! is that a water jacket around each cylinder?

Yep, water jackets surround each cylinder, all of the Cyclones (3.5/3.7 Duratecs) are wet sleeve engines.

interesting block!! is that a water jacket around each cylinder?

Good question! Nice looking engine.

Was there any compression loss recorded?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I haven't seen any mention of a compression test.
21.gif

Are they driving the second cam on each bank off the back of the chain rolling over the first ?

As to compression, leakdown test is generally a better (though not as oft used) test.

ported fuel injection systems, no need to worry about deposits on the back side of intake valves.

Good promo materials to be put out for PR purposes.

Q.

Just noticed the posted youtube does show two valves at 1:26, one looks substantially different from the other.
21.gif
Would like to know the maintenance specifics, performed during the test too.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: hate2work

I haven't seen any mention of a compression test.
21.gif

I haven't seen compression numbers but they did do a leakdown test. It was 13% IIRC. That was supposedly well within specs but I don't know what the spec range was nor what they're supposed to be when new.

I haven't heard anything about oil either but I really hope they used their own 5w20 semi-syn. It would be a shame if they weren't eating their own dog food.

I think Ford used MC 5W-30 in this engine, all '11 Ecoboost V6's are now spec'ed for 5W-30 versus 5W-20 last year.

I would like to see intake valve backside pics too.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2141210&#Post2141210

Curious no pics of valves, heads or intake manifold. Though comment by writer indicates something about 'similarity' to "pistons crowns" .

EcoBoosthead.png

EcoBoostvalves.png

Quote:
BG also conducting a test of Taurus EcoBoost with some impressive pics of the valves/valve area. http://www.bgfueltest.com/

The EcoBoost Taurus engine is a good bit different from the F150 engine. I heard Ford is using valve timing tricks to help combat carbon buildup in the intake port, and I'm not sure the 2010 SHO has this "feature".

Originally Posted By: calvin1
I haven't seen compression numbers but they did do a leakdown test. It was 13% IIRC. That was supposedly well within specs but I don't know what the spec range was nor what they're supposed to be when new.

Less than 10% is considered within spec, 5 cylinders showed 9% leak down or less, 1 cylinder showed 13%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back