2006 Audi A4 2.0T FSI 10081 miles Rotella T6 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran over 10,000 miles on this batch of T6 5w-40, this is a turbo direct injected engine as well. It was run from June to December, so it saw all temperatures from 100F to 0F. I live in a rural area so there wasn't much city driving. I used a Fram (really a Mann made in Germany) filter, showing my $35 oil change sourced from wally world is holding up as well as a $120 dealer oil change ;-) .

audiuoa.jpg

Is that amount of makeup oil normal for these engines? Just curious. What oil visc does your call call for? I only ask b/c I have a DI Turbo car and when I tried thicker oils I consumed a bit but when I went back to the 5w30 it stopped.

p.s. it seems like all the latest T6 UOA's have shown this small drop in calcium. Just down around -200ppm over older ones. This is probably the 5th or 6th I've seen it on recently. Wondering if they had a minor formula change maybe.

Awesome numbers other than FP though. The oil is doing well. I'd love to see a pic of intake valves at this mileage though. That would be interesting.

Last edited:
tbn stayed at 3.6 after 10k miles! very impressive. thank you for sharing report. Seems like T6 can be safely used in non-disel applications.

This is the UOA I have been searching for, for months. Can we assume that the first test was the Dealer Service and that it was Castrol Syntec 5w40?

Strong evidence here to encourage VW/Audi owners to move to T6, once their warranty runs out. I wish T6 had the 502 approval....But if it did, it would probably sell for $8 a quart.

I also wonder about intake deposits on the DI, Turbo engine with over 100k miles. OP, do you have any information? Have you had any engine work done? Timing belt?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unixguru
tbn stayed at 3.6 after 10k miles! very impressive. thank you for sharing report. Seems like T6 can be safely used in non-disel applications.

Makeup oil will keep the TBN up. Same was the case in my UOA of Rotella T at 10K miles in an N/A 2.slow engine.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
p.s. it seems like all the latest T6 UOA's have shown this small drop in calcium. Just down around -200ppm over older ones. This is probably the 5th or 6th I've seen it on recently. Wondering if they had a minor formula change maybe.

They probably had to lower the ad pack just a notch to be able to comply with API SM.

The last 3 oil changes have all been Rotella 5w-40. FYI I posted the last report here as well back in June, search for it. I've never used Castrol 5W-40, Either Rotella or GC 0W-30 for winter use (though not last winter). I put GC in now as the Rotella does crank a bit slowly on really cold mornings, which up here in central new England, happen a lot.

I haven't looked at the intake valves, but the car runs awesome, so I haven't decided to muck with it unless I get rough running or lack of power or mileage. I can still get near 30mpg on the highway with it.

These turbo motors burn oil, mostly through the PCV system, and have done it since new. About a quart in 4000 miles for me.

Sorry that I missed the previously posted UOA completely. This post on the first UOA helps us understand the type of usage for this UOA.

Originally Posted By: smonska
I'll say "country road" miles, there isn't any interstate on my 40 mile each way commute, but not many stoplights either.

I think the 80 mile commute accounts for a lot in this UOA. Not trying to knock this oil at all but we have had other cars running mostly highway miles and it seems that pretty much anything does well in this motor if it is mostly highway miles. Not trying to knock this oil or your car. Your car is loving life with those easy miles and I would hazard a guess that this engine will go for a very long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back