Amsoil Racing Grease-yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Amsoil 2000 Racing grease as good as it's price suggests? Thinking about using in my motorcycle wheel bearings.
-------------------------------
ALso:
I picked this up in an antique store. The service stations were "Shelly" and this was their "GREASE MASTER CODE" which had a place for someone to sign at the bottom. It has Shelly "Logo" in several places and looks like a certificate. You have to be older to know this America. Remember how they washed the windows with those little plastic bottles and rags, vacuumed your car, checked your tires, oil, filled the tank, and you got a free glass? All for 24 cents a gallon.

GREASE MASTER CODE

TO BE COURTEOUS AT ALL TIMES

TO GREASE EVERY CAR AS IF IT WERE MY OWN

TO DO MY WORK HONESTLY, THOROUGHLY, NEATLY, CONSCIENTIOUSLY AND SKILLFULLY

TO SERVE THE PUBLIC AND MY COMPANY WITH EQUAL FAIRNESS AT ALL TIMES

TO CALL NO GREASE JOB FINISHED UNTIL THE CUSTOMER IS THOROUGHLY SATISFIED
----------

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
Is Amsoil 2000 Racing grease as good as it's price suggests? Thinking about using in my motorcycle wheel bearings.

Yes, Temperature and pressure ratings are unmatched.

This is basically a heavy duty grease that is made without moly in it. I think you will see that the cost is really no issue. Like how often do you grease those bearings? $10 every 50,000-100,000 miles. That's a no brainer.

In my mind grease is an easier sell than synthetic oil since the amount that you use is very little per application.

Components get the load bearing capacity of a heavy-duty grease without sacrificing the high-temperature protection of a multi-purpose.

Thanks, msparks. I'm repacking this weekend. I wish it came in a small tube....I've run out of grease guns! But, if the Racing Grease could be used in spiders and slide yokes without being "overkill" I could solve that problem.

Also, I bought Amsoil's moly HD grease for double cardan joints. Not fully understanding the "without sacrificing the high temperature protection of a multi-purpose" part of your answer did I get the wrong grease for my double-cardan joints? I got this because Toyota calls for a Lithium-Moly in these. Should it have been a multi-purpose grease instead of HD?

I have a question for Msparks. I purchased some of the Amsoil 2000 racing grease. Could I use in
the drive shaft splines on a 2004 Toyota truck?
Toyota calls for a moly grease. Could the 2000
grease replace the moly grease ?

I know Mikes off and working hard at selling oil, so I"ll give this one a try.

Either the S2000 or the HD Amsoil grease will work very well in these types of drivetrain/CV joint applications. The S2000 is the more versatile product as it is also ideal for high speed,high heat applications. In other words, it replaces the Amsoil multipurpose and HD greases.

Amsoil uses solid MolyDisulphide in their HD synthetic grease and this can cause corrosive wear to bearing materials at very high sustained temps. This is why their MP grease and/or S2000 grease is the primary recommendation for those specific applications.

FWIW, several of the local independent VW/Audi shops here in Huntsville use the Amsoil HD grease as their replacement CV joint/boot grease and have for many years....

Tooslick

[ March 29, 2005, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Thank You TooSlick. I will use it for all my

greasing. I know sometimes people get down on the

Amsoil folks, but you guys are allways eager to

help nad your products are good. I remember

Msparks lube site on the web, it was good, is it

still active. Thank You Big Hank.

quote:

Originally posted by Bighank:
I have a question for Msparks. I purchased some of the Amsoil 2000 racing grease. Could I use in
the drive shaft splines on a 2004 Toyota truck?
Toyota calls for a moly grease. Could the 2000
grease replace the moly grease ?

Bighank,

So Toyota wants a moly grease in the '04 drive shaft splines?
My '90 Toyota truck specs lithium complex for spiders, SLIDE YOKES, wheel bearings and front drive shaft thrust bushings. They only want Moly-Lithium complex in the double cardan joints.

I was surprised how many post here say use moly everywhere....and some say don't use it at all. Maybe you know the threads. Which expert is right? So to be "safe" (I'm chicken) I use both as called for by Toyota.
dunno.gif
It might not matter either way for all I know at this point.

I'll just chime in and say the Amsoil S2000 grease is pretty flacking amazin' stuff. I love it for wheel bearings. The stuff just lasts - and rolls smoooooth.

The usual hack against it is that it supposedly isn't as water proof as a Al based grease. I found this decidedly not the case, or rather - water, hot water, or high pressure hot water won't move it!

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
....The usual hack against it is that it supposedly isn't as water proof as a Al based grease. ....

Water? Not a problem around here. 70-105○F., blowing dust/sand and high speeds on long open roads are the norms 9 months a year. I've high expectations for this grease. Thanks for the positive comments.

The Timken bearing load on the S2000 grease is 65 lbs as I recall, compared to 70 lbs for their moly fortified grease. By comparison most synthetic MP greases without moly have timken ratings in the 45-50 lb range. Four ball wear test results for the S2000 grease are 0.32 mm, vs 0.40 mm for the HD Amsoil grease.

High temp life of the S2000 is 300 hours, vs 180 hours for the HD Amsoil grease. So it is preferred for high temp applications like MC wheel bearings, while it also works well in high load applications.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back