API SA really still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
This brings to mind that SA oil perhaps has its uses. But at that price ($1.58/qt) the economic advantage isn't there. It would have to be for some other reason. At the moment I can't think of any.
Is it perhaps loaded with ZDDP?

I think the only spec that API SA has is that it is oil and has no additives.

I've seen SAE40 API SA oil sold at my local grocery store as well as the Accel brand at Wallymart. Also I've seen SA oils (can't recall the brand) at local dollar stores.

Three local retailers of the stuff is three too many IMO.

If memory serves me, the non detergent oil, and probably this stuff, is used in gear boxes of windmills. You know.. the kind for pumping water into stock tanks for livestock. Don't know why that would be a requirement, but it seems to me that it was.

Probably because straight mineral oil is not poisonous if it should find its way into drinking water. In fact, I've seen some bottles of mineral oil from a pharmacy to aid in lubricating digestion.

On Sunday, I happened into the Tom Thumb convenience store nearest my house (almost all the TTs around here also sell Citgo gas). They had an ample supply of both SAE 30 and 40 SA oil. It was a "no name" brand which slips my mind two days later. There were at least a dozen bottles of each, along with a reasonable selection (for a con store) of current spec oils.

Let the buyer beware. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back