Information on Hyundai PSF-4 Power Steering Fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone,

It me S2500Dog. It been several months since the last time I was on here but everything is fine and well with me.
thumbsup2.gif
Anyway, I visited my local Hyundai dealer this morning and asked about the PSF-3 for my 2003 Elantra GT. PSF-3 have been discontinued and Hyundai now uses PSF-4 for all their vehicles. I asked the parts manager if the fluid is really necessary for any Hyundai vehicle. He stated that PSF-4 is only purple in color and contain special additives to help with cold power steering noise at start up, nothing else fancy about the product. He also said that you can safely and effectively use any brand of PSF in the market that states compatability with Hyundai PSF-3 or PSF-4 systems. Price for Hyundai PSF-4 is $8.76 a bottle. Peace out !!!
34.gif

It's expensive but you need only 1 or 2 quarts to flush the Power Steering System, I would use Hyundai PSF if the manual spec it as requirement, I would not running around trying to find an equivalent because the cost of gas will eat up the saving and wasting your time.

$8.75 isn't too bad. Some of the German synthetic PS fluid like Pentosin CHF11S is double that. I'd just use the OEM stuff and call it a day.

An interesting observation that many may have seen. It looks like Hyundai PSF-4 is sourced through Valvoline: http://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/files/resources/msds/ch67.pdf I wonder if there is a compatible Valvoline product? I may see what my dealer wants for a 12oz bottle, but I'd prefer a readily available off the shelf synthetic PSF. For instance I can get 2, 12oz bottles of Royal Purple synth. PSF shipped to the door for ~$16. I'm not concerned with warranty because I'm done in another 1000mi. My 2008 Santa Fe has 59Kmi and I'm it's third owner.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I wonder if there is a compatible Valvoline product?
Joel

i don't know for sure but maybe atf+4????????

Originally Posted By: S2500Dog
He stated that PSF-4 is only purple in color and contain special additives to help with cold power steering noise at start up, nothing else fancy about the product. He also said that you can safely and effectively use any brand of PSF in the market that states compatability with Hyundai PSF-3 or PSF-4 systems.

I wonder where he is getting his info from, both my manual and a Hyundai tech bulletin specify PSF-4, and that PSF-4 is not interchangeable with PSF-3.

http://www.amdmaddness.com/sonata/tsb/power steering fluid.pdf

What a mess. This site has over 35,000 members to include many chemists, engineers and other experts within the oil/lub industry and yet this PSF4/$26qt. mystery continues. Most of what you read is confusing and/or is just deliberate misinformation that just goes around and around in a big circle. Somewhere within this site there needs to be an EXPERTS CORNER where reliable/trustworthy information can be posted by experts only and in read only format. After 12 hrs of research (mostly from this site) my personal and final thoughts are:

1) I am not going to use any kind of ATF or ATF Backwards Compatible PSF (Redline) in either of my 08's.

2) Valvoline PSF (non-syn) is not good enough to replace Genune PSF4. . .IMO.

3) The rest of the PSF's don't have readily available spec's to compare to the PSF4 spec's that don't exist either so. . . . why hasn't someone done a professional analysis and comparison? You telling me none of these EXPERTS own a Hyundai/Kia. It's been 5 years or more now.

In the meantime here's what you get for $26 a bottle. . .yes I did. . .and I'm angry about it too. The pics I took of the OEM PSF4 Bottle will not copy into this post.

It does show that this product is made by GS Caltex in Korea. No lab info on this product is available.

Talk about Monopoly, Price Fixing, Gouging the Consumer. . .this is it. Mercedes Benz does not even gouge their customers like this.

Serves Us Right.

I'm kinda in the same boat with my Dodge Aries though. It specs "Mopar 4-253 power steering fluid or equivalent"

But you walk down the aisles of the auto parts stores, everything simply appears to be "universal"....

Then to add to the confusion, you got some cars and/or people who say just add ATF :p But that only adds more confusion since there's like 24 different ATF specifications ..... lol.

/end rant

Long story short, last top off, I used about 10 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil, said to be safe for the power steering system, since most power steering additives are simply "light petroleum sulfates" anyhow.....MMO/Turtle Wax themselves state that you can safely use up for 16 oz. of MMO in the power steering fluid reservoir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back