More information about the Mazda MZR 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a few questions about the Mazda MZR 2.0L DOHC in my Focus, if anyone knows where I can find it, or knows it offhand.

1. Roller cam, or not? I can't find this information anywhere. I'm fairly sure it's a direct-acting so I would guess not, but I really don't know.

2. VVT or no? I can't find anything on if this engine has VVT or not.

3. PZEV vs non. In this engine, there is available in a regular (140HP) and a PZEV (132HP). I have the PZEV version. Besides what looks like an additional O2 sensor, what is the big difference? Different PCM programming?

4. Exhaust. With the normal engine (non PZEV) there were two different power ratings. One for the S, SE, SEL with 140. Then the SES had like 143 because of the "sportier" exhaust. Well, on a PZEV engine is it still 132, or does it go up to like 135? Again no information anywhere that I can find.

1)Don't know but it is too late to matter you own the car.
2) Don't know but it is too late to matter you own the car.
3)Don't know but it is too late to matter you own the car.
4)Don't know but it is too late to matter you own the car.
The car runs fine just the way it is. though Pennzoil PP is supposed to give you 8 more horse power so be at ease
banana2.gif
I couldn't help myself. It was enough hearing the moan After I asked my daughter to drive her car into the garage so I could cahnge the oil for her. Kids these days.

1. It has flat tappet bucket looking things. Not rollers.

2. VVT on the intake side.

3 & 4. I do not know anything about PZEV. I live in FL where we have no annual inspections.
And no PZEV things.

Search for a Ford Focus based forum to get the most information.

Last edited:
No offence, but the engine in your Focus is NOT a Mazda engine.

It MAY have some 'Mazda engineering' in it, but it is a Ford designed and developed engine.

I used to also think that these were just transplanted Mazada engines, but I've been strictly informed that there are a LOT of differences between Ford and Mazda engines.

Doesn't matter if it is a roller of flat-tappet mechanism on your cam - you DON' need a high-zinc race oil to protect your cam (which is why you're asking...)!

I don't have any first hand proof, but from reading and the Ford-Mazda alliance, I understand that Ford's Duratec engines are essentially Mazda engines with some modifications that suit Ford, on the same token Mazda uses Ford's V6 in all their V6 applications, again slightly modified.

Mazda 3, Focus (not the first gen), Mazda 6 and Fusion are global platforms, they share a lot of components and it's really hard to tell which are Ford's and which are Mazda's, but the main point is that they share a lot of components and it just makes a lot of sense for Ford to use Mazda's 4 cyl engine (Mazda's MZR line was superior to Ford's Zetec line), and for Mazda to use Ford's V6 engine since Ford had the expertise.

Ford changed their Zetec line to Duratec in original Focus as part of a refresh, it doesn’t make sense for an automaker to spend money on new engine development and drop it in an obsolete model (Europe had the new Focus that shares the platform with Mazda 3 at that time), unless they had the engine already from Mazda.

Last edited:
What addyguy said, not MZR -- it's Duratec

2. No -- Focus does not have VVT (wish it did). What I really wish is for the 2.5 VVT + 6 spd from Fusion.
3. Search (both) Focus Forums. I don't know if it has a different tune, but you can get an SCT X3 tuner from fswerks.
4. Search Focus forums for "lunchbox delete". The exhaust change on the manual coupes consist of "not having" the rear resonator (retangular-shaped box -- right before the tip). I plan to have a local shop remove mine, and weld a pipe in. Only the manual coupes have the extra HP. I think the same applies to the lower gears/axle ratio on the auto coupes. Bummer for us.

PVEV = 136HP/133ft-lbs
non = 140/136
manual coupe = 143/136

Last edited:
Straight from Wiki:

Quote:
Beginning in 2004, Ford dropped the old 4-cylinder Zetec engines in favor of Ford's Duratec and Mazda's MZR design. The all-new Duratec/MZR was designed as a replacement for the Zetec engine and was developed as joint collaboration with Ford and Mazda.[1] This includes the 2.0 L Duratec 20 the 2.3 L Duratec 23 and the all new 2.5 L Duratec 25. Ford builds the engines for its own use in Chihuahua, Mexico; Dearborn, Michigan; Valencia, Spain; Laguna, Philippines; and Nanjing, China.

Unless something has changed, The Duratec does not have VVT. The Mazda MZR does.

The Zetecs were Mazda related, but were inbred with Ford.

Taking a resonator off is only going to make it ... resonate!
There is no flow restriction in the resonator - it is basically straight through.
Think twice about removing this - you'll regret the booming while you cruise!
Their COULD be gains, but would be minimal.

The less stuff there is the less there is to go wrong. Take mechtech2s advice don't screw up the car. I read all the websites and people want to screw up their cars so bad . I get a kick reading the diesel forums ,,,I put this chip in my truck and it now does this and this and this,how come? . I have a bud who is a parts guy at a Ford dealership and says the problem trucks are the ones that have aftermarket programs in them .

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I don't plan on doing anything to it, I was just curious
Good!!! other wise we would have to talk!!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The less stuff there is the less there is to go wrong. Take mechtech2s advice don't screw up the car. I read all the websites and people want to screw up their cars so bad . I get a kick reading the diesel forums ,,,I put this chip in my truck and it now does this and this and this,how come? . I have a bud who is a parts guy at a Ford dealership and says the problem trucks are the ones that have aftermarket programs in them .

maintenance is one thing, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. but some like to "tinker" on their rides to make it look/feel fast.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

maintenance is one thing, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. but some like to "tinker" on their rides to make it look/feel fast.

Is there a chronic tinkerers group? I think I need help!

Firstly, my appologies for the length of this post :)

Originally Posted By: addyguy
No offence, but the engine in your Focus is NOT a Mazda engine.

It MAY have some 'Mazda engineering' in it, but it is a Ford designed and developed engine.

I used to also think that these were just transplanted Mazada engines, but I've been strictly informed that there are a LOT of differences between Ford and Mazda engines.

Doesn't matter if it is a roller of flat-tappet mechanism on your cam - you DON' need a high-zinc race oil to protect your cam (which is why you're asking...)!

I'm very sorry addyguy, but this is all wrong. I can't stand it when people unknowingly spread this kind of misinfo despite the opposite being your intention. I've researched and followed these things' progression since the dawn of time, including no longer published articles of the Ford/Mazda relationship with regard to who's doing what. It was agreed many years ago, that Mazda would drop their (class leading) K-series V6, hand over the engineering to Ford and Ford would continue to develop 60 degree aluminum V6's as their Duratec V6, which Mazda would have later access to to cast, build and modify to their liking. In exchange, Mazda would be responsible for the entire development of the "new four cylinder engines". This is the deal according to Ford. Mazda would be developing a new 4 cylinder engine, regardless. Selling the K-engine out, made and saved them some money. The company has always had some of the best engineering in Japan, but sadly most of it falls short of production (including V8 and V12 engines). Ford always knew this, which is why they hooked up with the company since the 70s.

"MZR" is just a brand name, just like 'Duratec' (and EcoBoost for that matter). It means nothing. The Mazda L-engine is the engine family in question, and is all 100% Mazda engineering. The L-engine, is part of the MZR series (which is a brand name for a generation of engines, including the smaller Z-engines as well). The L-engines range in size from 1.8L to 2.5L.

Quick primer on understanding engine codes (useful for the rest of the post):
As mentioned before, MZR and Duratec are brand names, for a generation of engines. They in no way specify an engine, or even an engine family. The 1.8L to 2.5L MZR's we know so much are of the L-family of engines.

L8 is the 1.8L engine code. "P" and "8" have always been used to represent an "8" in a Mazda 1.8L engine ie. (BP 1.8L, F8 1.8L, FP 1.8L, K8 1.8L V6).

LF is the 2.0L engine code. L is a family letter, and F is the displacement varient. F in this case is in reference to the 2.0L FE, which this engine was designed off of. 2.0L (E also used to represent an even liter displacement ie. JE for 3.0L J-family V6, no longer used).

L3 is the 2.3L engine code. 3 and J have been used to represent x.3L engines (ie. KJ 2.3L V6, B3 1.3L etc)

L5 is the 2.5L engine code. 5 and L have been used to represent x.5L engines (ie. J5 2.5L V6, KL 2.5L V6)

The suffix describes the engine configuration/features

L3-DE would be the 2.3L as used in the Ford Ranger.
L3-VDT would be the 2.3L DISI turbo

The first suffix position may be either:
D= Domestic DOHC or
Z= High Tuned DOHC
V= VVT DOHC or
C= Common Rail Diesel

Second place suffix position may be either:
E=EFI
D=Direct Injection

Third place suffix position is optional:
T= turbo
M= Miller Cycle

So the 2.3L Supercharged Miller Cycle V6 would have a KJ-ZEM engine code.

2.3L DISI Turbo engine would have L3-VDT code.

2.2L MZR-CD diesel would have R2-CDT code.

2.3L in Ford Ranger would have a L3-DE Mazda code.

2.3L VVT would have L3-VE code.

So here's the story:

L-engines (or all engines of the same family) are all identical on the outside, more or less, with bolt bosses, head patterns and bell patterns being identical between them ALL (same block, diff internal machining for disp). L-engine is an evolution of the Mazda F-engine (circa 1983-1998) which ranged in size from 1.6L to 2.2L). In fact, the old iron F-engine block is still being used to this day as Mazda's diesel R-engine (2.2L sharing the exact same bore/stroke/rod length as the F2 2.2L, same block).

Yes, the same block has been doing double duty as petrol F- and diesel R- since 1983! tig1, if you read this, that means that your old 2.0L Diesel Tempo's engine block is still in production today! And was the basis for the L-engine/Duratec 4cyl!

The R-engine "MZR-CD" 2.2L is one of the best 4 cylinder diesels currently on the market. Even the Germans know this (VW admitted it somewhere). But back on topic though, the ubiquitous L3-VE/VDT/DE 2.3L carries the exact same stroke length of the old F2 2.2L, nearly identical bore spacing, and an almost identical rod length (yeilding nearly identical rod ratio, one the highest in it's class @1.64~).

Changes and inevitable updates from the old F-engine to new L-engine include:
*all aluminum block construction vs cast iron
*1 piece main bearing cage vs caps with girdles and braceplate
*reversed intake/exhaust flow config, as has become industry standard
*belt to chain driven cams (after going from chain to belt during the belt fad of the 80s)
*no more SOHC. The DOHC heads combine engineering from the Mazda KL V6 DOHC heads (27degree valve angle), and the older DOHC FE3 2.0L engine (or B-engine DOHC heads which are just mini versions)
*VVT system identical to S-VT ZL 1.5L) All heads use flat bucket tappets.
*chain driven oil pump (instead of direct crank driven oil pump mounted to crank snout)
*weight reduction of recip. mass
-3mm smaller rod journal diam. over the old overbuilt F-engine, however 2.3L DISI turbo and 2.5L n/a engines retain original rod journal size of F-engine
-much shorter piston compression height (down -5mm!), semi skirted race style pistons, much skinnier rods (the old F-engine rods were good for well over 4 times their original HP, but were needlessly heavy for regular use)
-crank gear driven twin balance shafts for 2.3L and 2.5L
-plastic intake manifolds with continued use of VICS, adding VTCS; weight reduction

Note: you'll find manh of these are common changes between many manufacturers like Toyota from their S-engine to their AZ-engine for example.

The engine is offered in different configurations for a needed displacement. Before the 2.5L L5-VE engine, there were only 2 cranks used on L-engine, now there are three.

L-engine crank and bore combinations:
83mm stroke (for 2.0 & 1.8L - replaces 77mm crank from F-engine)
94mm stroke (unchanged from 2.2L F-engine)
100mm stroke (new for 2.5L L5)

Standard bore for the L-engine is now 87.5mm, instead of 86mm from F-engine. For the smallest 1.8L, the same 83mm crank as the 2.0L is used, but bore reduced to 83mm as well (square 83x83mm). The 1.8L "MZR" is used overseas for Mazda6, 3 and Ford "Duratec HE".

For comparison, the F-engine had 3 cranks, and 2 bore sizes 86mm being standard bore, however the smaller bore size (83mm) was the rarest:
77mm stroke (86x77mm for 1.8L, 83x77mm for the rare 1.6L)
86mm stroke (86x86mm FE 2.0 was square )
94mm stroke (used for 2.2L F2 and carried over to the L-engine)

So now with a little bit of history, in the early 2000's it was published that Ford had indeed trusted Mazda for a new global 4cylinder for Ford to use. (Mazda's own engines have always been their "global" engine, so no need to change anything on their end). Ford attempted a DOHC 4 cylinder with their ZETEC, being loosely based on Mazda's 1.8L BP, but that engine was short lived. The F-engine was produced from 1983 to the mid-late 90's, where Mazda replaced it with an odd FS/FP 2.0L/1.8L for the Protege generation (was more like a stretched out BP, than close to anything of the real F-engine family). That engine was produced for about ~5yrs, before they went back to a large bore spacing engine like the L- & F-.

"But there are parts on the Mazda and Ford engines that says FoMoCo on it, so you're lying"

Indeed there are, but I'm not even close to lying. This is where the OEM agreements take place. Mazda accepted Ford's offer of helping them save some money on the bread and butter parts like plugs, throttle bodies, dipsticks- you know the [censored] little costs on the little knick knack details. Ford offered these everso discreetly labelled items, you know, as part of an exchange for being able to cast a Mazda engine and use it in over half of their entire lineup. That seems a little more than fair. But, Ford also knows the psychology value in that as well. But I digress.

Now, I realise this is far more info than anyone could have cared for, but I think the story is very good start to at least know the heritage. There is far too much speculation and rough estimates out there, even from journalists in internetsworld that people are stating as fact.

Nick, you've got a good engine. If you have a sensor sticking out of the valve cover on the chain side, you've for VVT. Oh, and you've got nothing to worry about!
cheers3.gif

Thank you ItsuMitsubishi! As an owner of more than a dozen Mazda's in my extended family since 1988, this is a wealth of info about their engines. Cars currenty: '03 Protege 2.0L, '06 Mazda3 2.3L, '10 Mazda6 2.5L. Are you involved with Ford or Mazda In the manufacturering of these engines? The info you have given us is more than can be obtained from a parts catalog. Thanks again! -- Oldtommy

Hey you guys are very welcome.

2oldtommy, quite the lineup you've got! How are the cars/engines been treating you?
I wish I was involved with either company, TBH .. I would be way better off! Most of the info has been acquired through sheer investigation, with some inside knowledge through an old friend of mine who was pretty tight with a couple of the Japanese engineers in Hiroshima - mostly coming off the "Amati" years. I started my 'tuner' days with a Talon TSI (DSM represent) and the venerable boosted 4G63, when I met a cat named Jay B with his boosted FE3 MX6. That guy was the established guru on anything FE3 at the time (and it was a small fanbase), and the engine really impressed me because he was making serious power with stock core parts. We both freaked out when they replaced the engines with the very different FS/FP. That guy was always racing Supras, and spanking them!! Since then I've really gained an appreciation for the F engines (and Mazda engines really) and the rest is history...
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back