Borate esters vs moly. Which formulation for DOHC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the borate ester technology to suppliment the reduced levels of ZDDP in API/SM oils....

I've test four different Amsoil formulations in my 1.8L Audi TT turbo under the same conditions, and the two (10w-30/0w-40) that had the borate ester had 30%-40% lower Fe levels than the two (5w-40/10w-40) diesel formulated oils that did not.

TS

IMHO boron esters with ZDDP will offer higher load carrying than a Mo/ZDDP will. Borate is also simewhat less ash forming than Mo, Moly also causes as will ZDDP copper corrosion, Borate will not.
bruce

some information about Borate esters to discuss:

"Ashless multi-functional additives are currently being developed as possible alternatives to ZDDP. However, their reactivity with water has limited widespread use. Reaction of the boron-containing additives with water results in the liberation of oil-insoluble boric acid that can cause corrosion in the engine. Approaches to improve hydrolytic stability have been developed, but have not always proven satisfactory@
from book "Lubricant-Derived Ash – In-Engine Sources and Opportunities for Reduction " by Simon A.G. Watson

"Borate esters possess friction-reducing, antiwear, and anti-oxidant characteristics when blended in lubricating oils. However, borate esters are susceptible to hydrolysis. The formation of a stable five-member ring structure in the ester molecules, involving coordination of nitrogen with boron, contributes substantially to the resistance to hydrolysis of borate esters. The susceptibility of borates to hydrolysis can be reduced by introducing N,N-dialkylaminoethyl groups with alkyl radicals containing more than three carbon atoms."
from book "Borate esters used as lubricant additives" J. B. Yao, Q. L. Wang, S. Q. Chen......

This information makes me worry - oil in my engine and a lot of oils today are using borate esters..

sorry fo my english

Last edited:
Much depends on the alcohol type used to create the ester but the new aminic (nitrogen containing) borated esters are very resistant to hydrolysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bruce381
IMHO boron esters with ZDDP will offer higher load carrying than a Mo/ZDDP will. Borate is also simewhat less ash forming than Mo, Moly also causes as will ZDDP copper corrosion, Borate will not.
bruce

Welcome back Bruce!! You were missed!

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: TooSlick
I've test four different Amsoil formulations in my 1.8L Audi TT turbo under the same conditions, and the two (10w-30/0w-40) that had the borate ester had 30%-40% lower Fe levels than the two (5w-40/10w-40) diesel formulated oils that did not.

The bolded above is their 'powersports' oil, correct??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back