INSOLUBLES 0.3
WATER% 0.0
FUEL% 0.5
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0
FLASHPOINT ºF 385
SUS VIS 210ºF 71.6
cSt @ 212ºF 13.38
TBN 4.6

WAYNE: You mentioned ambient temperatures up near 100 degrees, but they don't seem to affecting the
engine. Wear is still low and balanced compared to both the last two samples and universal averages.
Judging by the wear patterns you're developing, we think this 2.5L Turbo is doing very well indeed. The TBN
was 4.6 showing a lot of active additive, even more than last time actually; less than 1.0 is too low. Low
insolubles and silicon show excellent oil and air filtration. Your rich mixture doesn't appear to be hurting
anything. Try 6,000 miles on the oil next.

my previous uoa

thumbsup2.gif

Looks like this Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 works extremely well in Diesel and Turbo engines. In fact it is primarily formulated for Diesel engines. Since I drive a gasoline Toyota V6 and have severe driving conditions, I still can't justify using this oil. There are too many options for me in the synthetic marketplace with different grades of oil. Nice results though on the Shell Rotella.

Virtually identical numbers to your last run of T6 5W-40, as well as your previous run of Syntec 5W-30. All with in "noise" of each other. Seems like you have a great engine that likes both oils.

Looking at the add packs, the Syntec emphasizes Calcium, while the T6 emphasizes magnesium. And the T6 is stronger on Zinc & Phosphorus. Both have modest amounts of boron and moly.

Flashpoint was higher on Syntec. Viscosity obviously greater on the 40-weight.

Your Silicon numbers are very low across the board. What kind of air filter do you use, and how often do you change it?

Hi,

Currently I am @ 4405miles on the oil and just topped off with 0.25qt of T6(1st top-off). Car is running great, but I think I'll get a sample now(no oc) and continue onto 5k.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I know this is a bit late, but I wouldn't sample until at least 5kmi. I'd say you could sample at 6kmi and change out there to get a good basis for subsequent changes.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I know this is a bit late, but I wouldn't sample until at least 5kmi. I'd say you could sample at 6kmi and change out there to get a good basis for subsequent changes.

Actually, I didn't sample then and just waited to get the sample at the oci, which I just did @ 5327mi.

Yeah, dump 4.6 TBN fluid with no apparent issues way early and blow the money you saved on UOA figuring out that 6k was really under utilizing the oil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Sounds like a good oil for my Mazda CX7 turbo?

Yes. I've seen quite a few UOA's of this oil on our engine (2.3l D.I. Turbo) that came out extremely well at even 7k mi. Lots of the Mazdaspeed guys run this oil. Very stout oil that holds up extremely well in a very tough environment. Heck, a lot of these guys are even modd'ed and this oil doesn't even notice. Tough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back