Would you use 303 Aerospace Protectant on leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though the product states that its use on leather is recommended would you routinely use it for that purpose? Anyone seen or know of any issues using 303 on leather? I know there are tons of good leather products out there but I'd like to know specifically about 303.

I'm especially hoping that members who are/were in the detailing business will give their opinion.

Nope. I abide by strict rules that emulsified silicone protectant is to be used for plastics; leather conditioning oils are to be used for leather seats.

Q.

Last edited:
That would depend on whether you are actually treating leather or you are treating plastic coated leather. I believe most US and Asian automotive leather has a plastic coating.

I have been useing the 303 on my leather couch and subaru and lincoln seats for several yrs now..I really like to sit on slippery seats..less back pain when I have to move around..on bare leather like saddles use some other product..

Originally Posted By: XS650
That would depend on whether you are actually treating leather or you are treating plastic coated leather. I believe most US and Asian automotive leather has a plastic coating.

Precisely! (except you can remove "US and Asian" and just use the word "most")

A lot of times using true leather products on automotive leather is a waste of time and money as the leathers are sealed with a urethane coating. They are actually, in terms of cleaning and conditioning, plastic.

This is not to say that one should use just anything, nor to say that lots of people won't continue to use leather products on these types of leathers.

Generally, if you scuff it with a finger nail and it doesn't change colour it has been coated with plastic.

From what I have been reading and answers from various companies most auto leather today is coated leather. (High end cars may have true uncoated leather.) Most true leather treatment products will do very little if anything to coated leather as it has a hard time ever penetrating thru the top coat to reach the leather. A product like 303 would work as it has UV protection that would help protect the coated top layer.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
From what I have been reading and answers from various companies most auto leather today is coated leather. (High end cars may have true uncoated leather.) Most true leather treatment products will do very little if anything to coated leather as it has a hard time ever penetrating thru the top coat to reach the leather. A product like 303 would work as it has UV protection that would help protect the coated top layer.

That was my reasoning in using it on the leather in my Jeep. It's on about a month and I'm very happy with it.

303 makes a product for fabric and leather:
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/66/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.cfm

It works very well. I had a case of pancake syrup leak onto the leather seats of my Rainier. The seats were treated with 303 Fabric Guard and cleaned up without a hitch.

For cleaning leather seats (plastic coated or 'natural'), get yourself a bar of moisturizing soap such as plain Dove. Shave 1/3 - 1/2 of the bar into a plastic food container using a potato peeler. Add a small amount of water. The goal is to form a paste. Let the mixture sit so the soap can dissolve. Cover it and shake occasionally. Once the mixture is ready, apply it to the seats using a soft-bristled brush, such as those designed for cleaning fingernails (I use a surgical sponge as the bristles are very soft). Wipe off any excess, mist the seat with water to rinse, and wipe clean.

This helps condition the leather with the moisturizers in the soap, as well as gently cleans. Top it off with the 303 Fabric Guard.

For protected leather, you really treat them more like a vinyl product. You do not use traditional real leather methods (saddle soap, etc).

The better products provide a barrier against the elements (sweat, etc) as well as some UV protection. For example, Optimum Protectant Plus is a good product plus it works on vinyl as well. It even has a leather like scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back