Best VW 507 00 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Originally Posted By: BigBird57
I would vote for Mobil as well at least it is a true synthetic. I know but I could not help it!

I hate to break the bad news to you. All the Mobil 1 ESP oils are hyrdocracked group III.

Of course you have info from XM that they gave to you telling you this, right?

Well you can look at their MSDS sheets. They say synthetic base oils and additives (US and German). The MSDS for Germany mentions POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMID in 1-5% concentrations but I'm not sure if that's an PAO additive or PAO base. Germany used to have a regulation regarding the naming oils as synthetic (Gr IV/V only) but I don't know if that's still the case.

The MSDS can be useful sometimes. For example I've seen revisions of the MSDS for Total Ineo MC3 5w-30. Over the years the base went from GR III to PAO and back to GR III (most recent). However Base Stocks aren't supposed to matter right??!

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Finklejag

I hate to break the bad news to you. All the Mobil 1 ESP oils are hyrdocracked group III.

Of course you have info from XM that they gave to you telling you this, right?

Well you can look at their MSDS sheets. They say synthetic base oils and additives (US and German). The MSDS for Germany mentions POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMID in 1-5% concentrations but I'm not sure if that's an PAO additive or PAO base. Germany used to have a regulation regarding the naming oils as synthetic (Gr IV/V only) but I don't know if that's still the case.

The MSDS can be useful sometimes. For example I've seen revisions of the MSDS for Total Ineo MC3 5w-30. Over the years the base went from GR III to PAO and back to GR III (most recent). However Base Stocks aren't supposed to matter right??!

Polyolefin Polyamine Succinimide is a dispersant which is not PAO oil. If you ever wonder what a chemical is, it usually helps to Google it. Sometimes the results are confusing such as this case, but here is one result discussing this chemical: http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/Engine-lubricant-with-high-sulfur/WO2002077133.html

I have found through VOA, that the Total Ineo 507 does have a slightly higher TBN than Castrol Professional SLX LL03

Pretty, from what I have found, all Low SAPS 507 oils are Group III

I found that 10-11K miles was too long on the BMW, with TAN 4.83 and TBN only 1.5, on oil with initial TBN = 6.8. With the new stuff I might try 12-15K miles.

Charlie

I've bumped this thread because it still is most on topic regarding a question I have:

M1 ESP 5w30 and M1 ESP M 5w40 are both M229.51 approved.

Of the two oils on M1 ESP 5w30 is VW 507 approved.

Has it been determined that the only difference in the VW approval is the weight grade?
I see on the World Wide list from VW there is no such thing as a 40 weight VW 507 and it appears to me, part of the 507 spec must be a 30 weight vis.

It is easier and cheaper to build a 5w30 than a 5w40 -- not as much viscosity modifier needed. So given a choice, the 5w30 is what the engine oil producer will make and test against the VAG specification.

It's a bit risky to leave the word "Formula" out of the names of those two Mobil 1 products. If they don't say "ESP Formula 5w30" or "ESP Formula M 5w40", then they could be something else I suppose.

What about this question in regard to 507 and Castrol......

Can someone answer this.....

On a TSB...this is stated.....(not all oils listed)

Engine oils which currently meet VW Oil Quality Standard

VW 504 00 /507 00

Please note: Not all oils listed may be available in North America

Page 1 of 2 10/08/07

©2007 Volkswagen of America, Inc. It has always been Volkswagen's policy to

Manufacturer Oil Type Viscosity

Bucher AG Motorex Profile V-XL SAE 5W-30

Castrol Castrol Edge SAE 5W-30

Castrol Castrol SLX Longlife III SAE 5W-30

================================

Why is it, then.....that when I read the label on a bottle of Castrol Edge 5W30, that there is asolutely no reference to it being VW507 approved?

Additionally, on this Castrol website.....

CLICK HERE

.....there is no metion of any VW approvals or certification.

Last edited:
BigJohn,

The TSB has multiple sections, it will note that the first section is for North American, the back section is world wide.
(as you noted)

Castrol Edge is on the world wide list, but on the NA list here is the Castrol list: ( It has been established many times over that NA Castrol Edge is not the same as the Euro Castrol Edge )

Available in NA
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol GAU 052 195 M2 SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol G 052 195 1L SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 BP BP Visco 7000 Longlife III SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol Castrol SLX Professional Longlife III SAE 5W-30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaMan
BigJohn,

The TSB has multiple sections, it will note that the first section is for North American, the back section is world wide.
(as you noted)

Castrol Edge is on the world wide list, but on the NA list here is the Castrol list: ( It has been established many times over that NA Castrol Edge is not the same as the Euro Castrol Edge )

Available in NA
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol GAU 052 195 M2 SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol G 052 195 1L SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 BP BP Visco 7000 Longlife III SAE 5W-30
VW 504 00 /507 00 Castrol Castrol SLX Professional Longlife III SAE 5W-30

Well.....[censored]! It would be nice if Castrol would simply have a single Edge that carried all the approvals and was available in the US.

Oh well..... The VW dealership will get my business since they are the only ones to sell SLX.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
I have found through VOA, that the Total Ineo 507 does have a slightly higher TBN than Castrol Professional SLX LL03

Pretty, from what I have found, all Low SAPS 507 oils are Group III

Even for Amsoil's 5w30 European formula? I only ask b/c I thought most of their oil's were Grp IV & V other than their low end ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back