Best John Deere Hydrostatic transmission oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My particular model is a 165 Hydro with the Eaton hydrostatic unit. The mower was given to me and I am not sure if it was ever changed in the last 20 years, but I want it to last.
Sadly the owners manual was lost years ago so I have no idea what oil to use!

What should i run in my hydro?
Thanks!

I am under the impression that it calls for a SAE30, but I cannot find the actual specs online. THF sounds like a hydraulic fluid? I know it sounds weird that a hydrostatic transmission doesn't call for a hydraulic fluid...

Hydrostatic drives are not a hydraulic transmission per se. Old Eaton's and Sauer/Sundstrand/Danfoss Hydros typically spec, hydraulic fluid, ATF or 5w20 motor oil. JD went with Tufftorq hydros about 25yrs ago. Most Tufftorqs spec 10w30. An old well broken in Eaton will do fine on a 30wt motor oil as well.

Joel

Last edited:
As in SAE 30, or an Xw-30 like say GC? They are more like a power steering system than a transmission aren't they...

Thanks!!

I would use a conventional 5w20 motor oil in it.

A hydrostatic drive is basically a variable displacement piston pump manifolded directly to a piston hydraulic motor.

Joel

john deere low vis/hy-gard is a direct replacement for deere all weather hydrostatic fluid, which is what your oem fluid is

I believe the Tufftorq spec has changed from 10w-30 to 5w-50 per the tufftorq site.I just changed mine(K51) to 15w-50 M1 and seems to work fine.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Hydrostatic drives are not a hydraulic transmission per se. Old Eaton's and Sauer/Sundstrand/Danfoss Hydros typically spec, hydraulic fluid, ATF or 5w20 motor oil. JD went with Tufftorq hydros about 25yrs ago. Most Tufftorqs spec 10w30. An old well broken in Eaton will do fine on a 30wt motor oil as well.

Joel

They still list 10w30 for everything but the K92 >> http://www.tufftorq.com/level3.asp?ID=1 40 or 50wts are probably a better option for extreme ambient temperatures. Worst case, the trans would make all kinds of racket if the oil was too thick or was lifting an internal pressure relief.

Joel

This is a 1988 model, I don't think they even had their hyguard on the market at that point?

Last edited:
Went right to the horses mouth, http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/E-TRLD-TM001-E.pdf

Eatons site lists the factory fill as a premium hydraulic SAE 20W-20 fluid with maximum working oil temp of 82 C and oil viscosity range of 10cST. I'm not positive if I have the model 7 or 11 light duty hydrostatic unit, but both call for 20w20

The site also recommends NOT using a universal tractor fluid:

"Over the recent months, Eaton’s customers have contacted us to consult on issues, which have now
been linked to hydraulic fluid formulation. These issues are specific to yellow metals (brass/bronze)
used in some piston pump and motor components. The most common indication of these problems is
pre-mature degradation of high-pressure, hydraulic system performance and resulting overheating.
In the interest of customer support and education, we feel that it is appropriate to share some conclusions
we have reached regarding these fluids related problems.
- Eaton does not recommend the use of some Universal Tractor Fluids (UTF) or Transmission
Differential Hydraulic Oil (TDH), at this time, because of possible chemical reaction with these
yellow metals. This reaction may be accelerated in the presence of water in the fluid, and/or
high temperature.
- If you are successfully using any of these fluids at this time, we are not recommending a
change. It is however, important to conduct a frequent analysis of the fluid, to monitor
changes in the fluid’s copper(Cu) content, which may indicate a problem.
The industry continues to investigate this problem and as new information becomes available Eaton will
provide the latest updates to our customers."

So, with all this in mind, what 20w20 hydraulic fluid would be best then?

SOHC, Having been involved with outdoor power equipment sites for years now, in the past I've dug up the same info in regards to what Eaton themselves recommends. I doubt your going to find an engine or hydraulic oil with "20w20" on the bottle. I know others haven't been able to. Like I've said, I do know that many Eaton equipped lawn/garden tractor owners have simply used 5w20 motor oil, dex/merc universal ATF or hydraulic fluid from JD without issue. OEM spec for most Eaton equipped tractors was "20w20 oil or ATF". You can make this thing as complicated as you want. :)

Joel

I have 3 units JD5715 & 2 units JD6215. May i Know that Hy-Gard oil can be replace for Caltex Hydraulic Oil Rando HD68?? if not,what oil can be replace for Hy-Gard Oil???

Thanks

I have the service manual for my John Deere 185, but it also covers your 165. The manual calls for SAE 30 in your Eaton transmission. But I wouldn't hesitate to use German Castrol in it. I have the Sundstrand transmission in my 185, and it calls for 10W-30. I have been using Pennzoil Platinum in mine for alot of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back