New PowerFlo, Promotive cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut these open today to have a look.
The PowerFlo and ProMotive are the AAP "behind the counter" filters, mostly intended for service shops...You have to ask for them. They are all Purolator products.
The PowerFlow replaced the Total Grip, and now the ProMotive is replacing the PowerFlo. I don't know about the Total Grip, but the last two seem to be the exact same filter with a new name. I paid about $2.50 apiece for these two, and about a buck and a half more for the Purolator Classic.

I found it interesting that these all cross to the same application even though the bargain filters are shorter.
I didn't count pleats, but there is clearly less media surface area in the Promotive and PowerFlo filters. The media is a bit thicker and feels softer, too. Looking at the medias under high magnification, they also seem to me to be courser...heavier fibers that are not spun together as tightly as the Purolator Classic.
I doubt these filter as finely as the Classic, but still look reasonably good. It appears to me that the medias are, like, one step down in both quality and quantity from the pricier Classic.
The rest of the construction is similar to the Classic...except for shorter, of course.

Enjoy:

ProPwrPuro1.jpg

ProPwrPuro2.jpg

PowerFlo
PowerFlo.jpg

ProMotive
ProMotive.jpg

Purolator Classic
PurolatorClassic.jpg

PowerFlo Super Close
PowerFlomacro.jpg

ProMotive Super Close
ProMotivemacro.jpg

Purolator Classic Super Close
PuroCl1macro.jpg

Thanks for the images, looks like you said. The fibers in the Puro are definitely tighter wound. Looks like the powerflo is a bit mangled from factory.

Ya. That was a bit twisted. I've never seen a Classic look like that new...not the one's I've cut anyway.
They gotta save the buck somewhwere, but I thought they were pretty good for the money, overall.
I'm a stickler though, so I'll probably continue to stay out of the bargain filters for newer engines.
I did buy six of these cheaper ones for the old VW, since it never have a filter from the factory until I put a kit on it, these are good enough.

Wow! That is sweet, reminds me of when we looked at a piece of brown paper towel under the microscope! The oil filter media looks alot friendlier than brown rough paper towel.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I bet they are pretty rough...they sure feel that way.

The brown towel looks like splinters under the mic!!

Originally Posted By: beast3300
The brown towel looks like splinters under the mic!!

( Note to self: Never substitute brown paper towels for TP.
31.gif
)

are these Pro Motives ok for 5k intervals? Sears put one in on a Valvoline oil change and hard to find info about these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorrisB
are these Pro Motives ok for 5k intervals? Sears put one in on a Valvoline oil change and hard to find info about these.

Typicaly, any Purolator made filter(PowerFlo from Sears, ProLine from PepBoys, ProMotive or TotalGrip from AAP) are very good. This being an old thread resurected, still has caused you some important concern as Sears just installed a ProMotive on your vehicle.

You'll be fine! At one time, AAP/Parts America and Sears both carried the PowerFlo name(Purolator knockoff). I believe they're all the same overall or very minor differences. I wish I could still get some TotalGrip Filters from AAP but, they've been discontinued for several years now. I used to get the TotalGrips for $1.25 on sale.

I have used(still do use) plenty of Purolator made filters under different names with very good success. Even the magnified filtration media pictured above, of the PowerFlo/ProMotive looks just fine compared to the actual Purolator. The Purolator just looks a bit better that's all!

And the fact that one of the "cut open filters" is a bit crushed/bent, we don't know what happened on 2010 when the filters were cut open as the OP didn't say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NorrisB

Sorry, one more thing! Yes, these filters will work well for 5K miles and probably longer still.

I have used regular Purolator and their knockoff filters for 2 OCI's on several occassions although, I usually change the filters at each OCI. I have cut them open after 2 OCI(8K-10K miles) and they look just fine
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back