My O-Ring Swelling Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
O-Ring Seal Swelling Comparisons
BBDartCA 2010©

This is a comparison of how typical automotive O-rings change in size when exposed to typical chemicals found in stop leak products, oil – fuel system treatments, etc. Some people want seals to swell while others do not.

O-rings tested were Buna-N (Nitrile) pierces sourced form Grainger. Buna-N is one of the most common o-ring and seal materials used in auto and motorcycle engines & fuel systems.

Chemicals tested and are below with comments.

I do not have access yet to a shore durometer test tool. However, using a homemade tool out of an exacto knife and controlled application of pressure, it seems the White Shepherd left the O-rings the softest while the Berrymans left O-rings the hardest & most brittle.

This comparison obviously is not necessarily relevant to how O-rings would change in size when above chemicals are mixed with other chemicals (gasoline, oil, etc.) or when exposed to heat and pressure. This study does not test the durability of the o-rings. However, this gives some insight to how o-rings change in size when exposed to chemicals.

The Chems tested
TheChems.jpg

During test.
Left to right is:
Gumout
Acetone
Seafoam
Naphtha
Brake Fluid
White Shepherd
Berryman's B12
DuringTest.jpg

O-rings 5-minutes after removal from chemicals
FiveMinafterremoval.jpg

O-rings 12-hours after removal from chemicals
Twelvehoursafterremoval.jpg

Discussion of chems tested and test results:
ChemData.png

Results.png

Wow, I'm shocked,nothin but seafoam for me from now on for general cleanup without the need to swell! Great job,and thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Isn't White Shephard a product designed to stop leaks?

Yep, its one the latests snake oils on the market https://gouniversalproducts.com/product-103-White-Shepherd-Oil-Stop-leak.html

The above is phase one of this comparisons. Next is looking at some of the other additives in "stop leak" products.

Seafoam and Berrymans are very different. Seafoam is Naptha, Alcohol, stottart solvent, with Naptha being the component that does most the cleaning. I think MM is just stottart solvent and Naptha top. Making your own Seafoam is pretty easy and much cheaper than $10/pint.

Berryman's contains a nasty cocktail of solvents. http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Portals/0/BPI%20MSDS/0101,0105,0116,0155%20%28Blend%201AA-MS%29.pdfc

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Doesn't look like a snake oil to me.

That's what I thought. Unless I'm reading this all wrong it looks like White Shepard did what it was intended to do. Since the seals are in constant contact with engine oil I would imagine the seals would stay swollen with the WS?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Did you check the diameter at a later time? Did any or or stay swelled?This is interesting stuff thanks for doing this test.

Its been about 4 days since I took the o-rings out of the chems and the sizes are all the same as shown abobe.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Wow, I'm shocked,nothin but seafoam for me from now on for general cleanup without the need to swell! Great job,and thank you.
What does seafoam really do?

You didn't test Berryman B7 Chem-Seal. You want swelled seals, this will give it to you.

I put a kick starter lip seal from my old Yamaha in a margarine dish filled with B-7. I had forgotten about it. I don't know how long it was in there (a few weeks I suppose). When I fished it out, the lip was wrinkled. It swelled so much it had no place to expand.

Thank you for posting this.

Just a comment. This shouldn't be considered a conclusive test since all the chemicals are full strength. Was this suppose to be for chemicals mixed with the engine oil or the gasoline (I know it's in the oil additive section)? It might be interesting (if you have the time) to figure out the ratio mixed in a tank full of gas or oil, mix a small batch with that ratio, and test again. You might use eye dropper droplets as the units. If you are doing this with oil, try regular oil and some of that high mileage oil with seal sweller as a reference point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back