Nail Polish Remover as Injector Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that Nail remover can be used as injector cleaner. Can anyone confirm this? I spilled it one wood once and it ate the varnish off, so it's obviously very good at breaking down stuff.
013476.jpg

I used straight acetone to gain mileage .Another miracle. didn't do very well. no increase. the injector cleaning is negligible too. The esters in it are supposed to be like avblend. you only use a couple ounces per tank.I used 5 i think.

I'd mix it 50/50 and enjoy the high octane, power enhanced snarl of your newly developed racing engine.

Let us know how it goes!

LOL! I see teasers on the board, naysayers,etc.

My take? I'd say no just once and you can go ahead and do whatever you like/want. Afterall: nail polish remover is not meant to be used in automobile chemical cleaners of any sort so any consequences/damages to your system, be it imminent or longer term due to side effects or even undesirable effects gonna be yours (and not ours).

Afterall: why tempting fate where there's so much good quality FI cleaner out there avail and yet cheep and safe to operate? (e.g. PEAs such as Chevron techron, Shell V-power, Redline, etc.)

Remember this: you've been warned.

Q.

Many nail polish removers are non-acetone now. You can buy acetone cheaper at the hardware store. Dont know if this will harm your fuel pump and lines, plus the stuff evaporates instantly though maybe less so in solution. I would prefer professional FI cleaners introduced through the injector rail. Why not run a 10ga tank of Mobil Premium and be done with it for cheaper money? Prob less than 3 bucks?

Lots of people use acetone for supposed fuel mileage gains. I'd rather just buy that, it would be a lot cheaper. But really, I'd rather not do anything, we have E10 mandated here and despite it's drawbacks it does keep things clean.

as mentioned previously, a lot of nail polish removers are no longer acetone-based. Some just have strong alcohol content.....definitely gotta read the bottle or an Material Safety Data Sheet....I read one bottle that said it contained water :p So granted, the acetone could "help" with MPG, I'm guessing the water would negate it....hehe, water in the tank isn't good at all.

As stated, if you do try it, better off going to the hardware aisle and buying the half gallon.

My concern would be proper storing and measurement for use at the pump. You'd need an acetone-safe (non-plastic basically....) syringe or measuring glass + funnel to do it safely and accurately.

The closest I go to nail polish/acetone was Berryman's B-12 CHEMTOOL, which contains Acetone, Methanol, Xylene, and some other chemicals. Seemed safer, since the product is marketed as a gas additive...:)

As far as acetone safely used in the fuel system, some say it can deteroriate plastics/rubber that it comes in contact with; but others say the 5 or so oz. of acetone, diluted over 10-20 gallons is unlikely to cause any harm. BUT, there was some "acetone test site" in which someone reported an issue with, I think, a Toyota Prius; supposidely they have a rubber/plastic "bladder" in the tank, and the acetone ate away the bladder over time....

Does it come in a bottle? If so, how strong can it be? The cleaner has to come in a can because the bottle will melt :)

I don't want nail polish remover, I want nail remover; something which would have lots of warning on the container telling you that it will melt your nails and fingers if used improperly.

ToolTime Vikas :)

weird, we used to use acetone to clean parts all the time at my grandpa's house. it came a very thick plastic bottle, not all plastics are the same.

Nail polish remover may have water, dye, perfume, or other strange things you don't want in your fuel system. Some nail polish remover is MEK and Methyl Acetate based. Your nail polish remover looks blue to me. 99% pure acetone is available all over and what you should use to see how you like it. Some nail polish remover is 99% pure.

I like what acetone does for emissions and I haven't had any trouble with seals. I don't think acetone works as fast on injectors as the PEA based additives like Regane and Redline SI-1.

Barrier protection is what allows some HDPE containers to withstand strong solvents.

Last edited:
Acetone.
But some nail polish removers have water in them, and are not pure acetone.
Acetone is a good cleaner, and not as brutal as come other over the counter ingredients, or even what is in gasoline.
Use appropriate amounts, and keep the pure stuff off of any surface.

The one shown is acetone based and protein enhanced...LOL.

Try acetone, but get the hardware grade, lots more for cheaper.

You might even be able to convince the missus that it's nail polish remover.

Actually the stuff with the protein and oils might be the better cleaner. I think the stuff made for the job is higher boiling than acetone. At any reasonable concentration, the fuel will go through the injectors doing nothing and the acetone will evaporate. A little of something higher boiling will stay behind and become more concentrated as the gas evaporates leaving it behind. It may then soften or dissolve deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back