1970 Lincoln MkIII - 460cu.in. engine - 80k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 1970 Lincoln MkIII - 460cu.in. engine - 80k miles. It runs great! Oil has been in the engine for a few years, previous owner didn't drive it much. Just some cheap dino oil is in there. The engine doesn't seem to be burning any oil except when you've been running it, shut it off for about 20 mins and restart - blows a little puff of blue smoke for a few secs.

few questions:
1. I run Amsoil Euro blend 10-40 in all my other vehicles, thinking of putting it in the lincoln, sound okay?
2. I remember a "cleaning process" for old engines, what was the procedures/products again?
3. Any other recommendations?

Gratuitous pic of car :)
pic6.jpg

Just run a good HDEO in it like Rotella and change it every 3-4k miles as cars with carbs are less efficient than injection motors.

Amsoil would be overkill IMHO and wasting cash and good oil. A HDEO and a good filter with these intervals would clean it out over time gently. Might want to do a shorter 1k mile flush. If you are into additives then you could run a good high mileage SL rated oil like Mobil 1 10w40 HM.

I run Motorcraft 15w40 in my 440 77 New Yorker.

A great old car! Not great fuel mileage though....mine slurped premium at about 8-10 mpg. The electricals can be a nightmare. Enjoy it.

Robenstein - thanks for the suggestion! Will do what you suggested. What are some other good HDEO oils? And nice car, I drove a friends New Yorker back in the day...

SWSportsman - thanks for the complement!

Shell's Rotella, Motorcraft, Mobil Delvac 1300, and Chevron Delo are all good and readily available.

If you have a distributor in your area you can probaly get 10w30 flavors of them for colder months, but since you are in Texas your coldest winters are usually our Iowa springs. LOL

My 440 gets about 12 in town and 21 on the HWY if you go easy on it.

Very, very nice car! Great cruiser!

Agree with others - just run a good-quality HDEO, change it every 4-5k, or six months, and it will be good to go!

That year engine is highly desireable, with high compression heads (over 10 to 1 compression) GREAT find!!! Use premium fuel as stated earlier and 15w40 HDEO with a motorcraft filter. You gain nothing by going to a synthetic in this application.

One of my favorite older Lincoln's in my favorite city.

If you really like Amsoil products, this is an excellent synthetic blend they make that I personally think is one of their best products, and it would work great in your MkIII.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/pco.aspx

Amsoil's cleaning process was/is to pour in a can of their engine flush and let the car idle for about 15 minutes, then change the oil and filter.

Last edited:
Yes on the premium - and I've been putting a "lead substitute" that the previous owner used.

Engine runs smooth, no pinging on acceleration.

lexus114 - Never saw THE CAR, did some searching, yep, it's the same model, not sure of the year though. I wonder how many MKIII's they ruined making that movie!

Great - now I miss my first car.
1971 Lincoln Continental with the same engine. As big and heavy as a coal barge. And a true joy of American excess. I think the front bumper weighed more than my Fusion ...

As I recall 10w-30 is called for. Any HDEO in that grade would be a great choice, dino or semi-syn. Those cars tend to run a little rich so a moderate OCI is called for; no more than 5k miles.

The Lima engines oil the cam first and then the main bearins, so thinner is better for quicker oil flow to the mains. Don't get talked into a 15w-40 just because someone thinks older engine need them.

Definitely run premium fuel; 10.5:1 compression on those engines up to 1971.

Now, I'm going back to my high school happy place in my mind.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Yes on the premium - and I've been putting a "lead substitute" that the previous owner used.

Engine runs smooth, no pinging on acceleration.

lexus114 - Never saw THE CAR, did some searching, yep, it's the same model, not sure of the year though. I wonder how many MKIII's they ruined making that movie!

I think they had 4 or 5 for that movie. You should try and get that movie,it`s pretty cool.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
AWESOME car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my fave cars of all time!

+1

It's a nice long distance car...Out on the interstate its not bad on fuel...Someone said here they had electrical issues but I knew someone who had one and he had zero electrical issues.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Great - now I miss my first car.
1971 Lincoln Continental with the same engine. As big and heavy as a coal barge. And a true joy of American excess. I think the front bumper weighed more than my Fusion ...

As I recall 10w-30 is called for. Any HDEO in that grade would be a great choice, dino or semi-syn. Those cars tend to run a little rich so a moderate OCI is called for; no more than 5k miles.

The Lima engines oil the cam first and then the main bearins, so thinner is better for quicker oil flow to the mains. Don't get talked into a 15w-40 just because someone thinks older engine need them.

Definitely run premium fuel; 10.5:1 compression on those engines up to 1971.

Now, I'm going back to my high school happy place in my mind.

I think in Texas a 15w40 wont hurt anything, especially in summer. A 5w40 like Rotella T6 would be good if he wants to go synthetic. That way he gets good cold flow and a 40 weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back