Recommended coolant for '05 Kia Sedona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to drain and fill the Sedona, but don't know what to use. Right now it has a dark green coolant(old, degraded maybe)in it and not sure if it is FF or regular green. It still runs cool and have had the vehicle since '06. Can I use Peak Global for it or Prestone 5/150,00? Should I flush till clear with distilled water and put whatever I want in it? Thanks in advance for the help.

If you have access to PEAK Global full strength that's the way I'd go. If not I'd probably get original green Zerex or Peak.

Some people claim that Korean cars use silicates but I'm not so sure. If so G-05 would be a good choice, probably better than traditional Green.

I'm thinking the Korean cars coolant is probably more similar to Japanese, and Peak Global would be a good choice.

I have an 08 Kia Spectra. My dealer recommended regular green. I did a drain and refill last summer. It works just fine. I went with NAPA low silicate traditional American green. DO NOT use Prestone. It has 2-EHA acid in it, same ingredient as Desxcool; it is a known plasticizers that sludges if any air enters the system. Kias do not have pressurized overflow bottles, unlike designed-for-Dexcool GM cars.

Last edited:
Well some people use Prestone Dexcool and say it works fine. Any anti-freeze can work. I'm just trying to give the reasoning behind any coolant choice. G-05 is probably a better replacement than Green because it's pH is lower and more suitablefor aluminum. I agree that Prestone can sludge and 2EHA can be incompatible with some gasket. The incompatibility of OATs is why I'm not so sold on Peak Global.

Kia and Hyundai dealer both recommended Green coolant to me. 05 Sedona still has a year of bumper-to-bumper warranty left, if OP is a second owner, 6 years of powertrain, if OP is an original owner. I'd decided stick to the manufacturer-approved coolant to keep my warranty.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with using Green especially as long as Kia dealer thinks it's the same and it looks the same. I didn't consider the extended warranty.

Just got home and read all of your responses and they are right on the money. I called the dealership earlier today and they said use green. He said to definitely stay away from Dexcool and Dexclones. You guy's were a great help as always.

If it is a first change for an 05, I'd do a couple drain and refills over a course of a week, this way you'll get about 75% of coolant replaced (if you can not get to the block drains, but kiatech might help you to locate those). I did just one D&R on my Kia last year, but it was a new to me car, so I wanted to get fresh coolant in there. Next year I will do two D&R.

Last edited:
The original coolant is a low-silicate conventional along these lines:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/zerex/antifreeze/40

Compatible with that cooling system is a low-silicate HOAT like G-05:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/zerexg05.pdf

You'll notice the two contain about the same amount of silicate, the same ph, and similar results on the ASTM tests.

Because I have other vehicles using the G-05, and because it is longer-lived, I switched my Hyundai which has the same engine as yours over to G-05. I flushed it with tap water, then with distilled water, and then filled with G-05 and distilled water.

I think either one would do the job for you.

Thanks Wilhelm. I will go with the Zerex Original Green. I can have my local Napa order it for me. They have the 50/50 on hand, but I want the full strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back