Valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't hear much about Valvoline on the site. I've been using the stuff in the white bottle for years now in all my vehicles with no problems, including my 99 Z28 drag car, my 90 Jeep Wrangler, my 94 F250, and my wife's 95 Miata. All 10W40, bought by the case. No jugs! The drag car gets the oil changed about every time I take it to the track, and the others get 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. No way I'd go any longer or use "synthetic" which I think is a rip off. Also I use Fram and STP filters and I have never had any problems. I notice Fram gets bashed a bunch on here....

Valvoline is good stuff. My family uses is exclusively since the 50s. Except for me, I've experimented a little. My father had to replace a head gasket on his 90 Ranger with 250k on it in 97. Motor was spotless. All on Valvoline 10w30. I'd love to see your LS1s guts!

I used to use Valvoline with no problems, seemed to be good oil. I switched to cheaper oil that I found on sale a few years ago, then I switched to synthetic Supertech. Just personal preference. My dad uses Valvoline in his Oldsmobile Aurora with no problems. If I were to switch back to dino oil, I'd definitely consider Valvoline.

My Dad and I stay away from Fram filters (they seem to have cheap construction) and use AC Delco, NAPA Gold, or Wix most of the time. One of the guys behind the counter at a local NAPA said Fram has gone downhill because Walmart wanted the filters to be less expensive, so they had to use cheaper materials like cardboard end caps instead of metal to keep the cost down. If you change every 3ooo miles though, they should be fine.

I believe STP filters are made by Champion Labratories (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), who also make AC Delco, and other brands, so they are likely to be similar but cheaper.

Last edited:
10W-40 by the case, and 3k OCI's...

Livin' in the 1970's, are we?

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

Originally Posted By: addyguy

I agree about Fram filters, they work just fine. People are stupid about them on here.......

I beg your pardon?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

I beg your pardon?

The Fram-bashing that goes on here is not based on fact. It's a 'jump on the bandwagon' kind of thing.

This kind of reaction to a product makes some of the otherwise knowledgable people on this site look stupid when they do it.

Originally Posted By: ALL_OUT_LS1
Don't hear much about Valvoline on the site. I've been using the stuff in the white bottle for years now in all my vehicles with no problems, including my 99 Z28 drag car, my 90 Jeep Wrangler, my 94 F250, and my wife's 95 Miata. All 10W40, bought by the case. No jugs! The drag car gets the oil changed about every time I take it to the track, and the others get 3000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. No way I'd go any longer or use "synthetic" which I think is a rip off. Also I use Fram and STP filters and I have never had any problems. I notice Fram gets bashed a bunch on here....

I had problems with it decades ago. It would burn faster than other oils. It was very thin in the old days. I liked 20w50 in my street race cars and theirs was like 10w30. I had an attitude against it and never went back.

Once burned twice shy.

I understand what he is saying. Not saying YOU are stupid (maybe he is??) but the bashing it gets, kind of like the RP thing, but I love that
07.gif

but i ran frams and never had a problem with them either. To each their own.

I beg your pardon?

The Fram-bashing that goes on here is not based on fact. It's a 'jump on the bandwagon' kind of thing.

This kind of reaction to a product makes some of the otherwise knowledgable people on this site look stupid when they do it.

I beg to differ.... changing from a FRAM to a quality filter ENDED the start up death rattle in my 2000 Maxima. It was the only change made..... ended the problem!!!

Last edited:
It's a fine oil. I used it for several years, long ago and it served me well. I had some issues with Fram oil filters and now use Amsoil, Wix, or Super Tech oil filters.

Valvoline makes good stuff!! My dad starting using it in the 1960's, my brothers and I have been using it since the 1970's. We have all had great results across a broad range of engines and driving conditions. I highly recommend Valvoline!!

In addition to white bottle valvoline, i also think the off-label valvoline from Napa and Carquest is an excellent value, especially when purchased on sale.

I've used Frams, but i just find them to be over-priced for what you get. I buy OEM Denso filters online for around 3~4 bucks a piece for my Mazda. If i run out and can't wait i'd rather spend my money on Wix (or one of the Wix store brands by Napa or Carquest), which makes an excellent product.

I beg your pardon?

Well I have seen it in person twice and I have a Masters Degree in History and am a year from a PhD. You dont get as far as me and be subjective.

I wont use a standard Fram on anything I own. Their high end products are ok, but overpriced.

its my Family's oil.

I have it in most my cars and I have used it more than anything. Valvoline and chevron supreme ( when its priced well at costco.)

As far as fram bashing, disecting multiple failed ones will turn anyone off.

I used Fram before without much complaint. I haven't used Fram in about 10 years though. As far as Valvoline, it seems to work fine in many cases.

I have used Valvoline VR1 10W30 in my 383 flat tappet stroker since I built it 4 years ago.

It has the correct amount of ZDDP for my flat tappet engine - 0.14/0.13.

IMHO, great oil at a good price.

I beg your pardon?

I half-agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back