Best dashboard protectant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used 303 for years. Is there anything that is better for dashboards and plastic found in cars? I'm updating my "detail" knowledge!

Nothing I have ever used comes close to 303.

303 works great on my soft side vinyl spa as well.
Aside from the dirt & dust, the vinyl that bakes in the sun all day, isn't cracked, and isn't dried up.

303 is THE stuff.

I always buy a dashmat.
21.gif

1Z Tiefenpfleger and 1Z Cockpit premium -
both are water based, and the finish looks better/richer (but not greasy at ALL!) than 303 in my experience.

I was thinking of trying Surf City, but it doesn't say anything about "protecting" on their website. My local Napa carries Surf City.

I currently use 303 and Megs QID, but am almost out of both. I love trying new products. 1Z Cockpit Premium is also listed as a cleaner (doesn't say anything about "protecting"). DP Interior Surface Protectant would be a nice choice: 32 oz for $16.99. I've also read a lot of positive about Poorboys Natural Look Dressing. So many choices!

I use 1Z Cockpit Premium on all interior cleaning. It does have a light UV protectant but does not add any shine or gloss to the plastic.

If you are happy with 303, stick with it. It's an excellent product.

I use Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer mostly. It doesn't leave excess residue and keeps the interior looking pretty much like new.

However, the best thing I have ever used hands down is Honda Genuine Vinyl and Leather cleaner and protectant. This stuff is excellent. It leaves a very light shine, but nothing greasy. It seems to work best with Honda's plastics, but I have used it in Fords and Mazdas too with excellent results. It is also by far the best thing I have found for soft tonneau covers. It's available at Honda dealers for a few bucks a can.

I have used 303 in the past, and while it was definitely far better than Armor All, it still left too much residue for me. If I got rain on the door panels, it would streak, and it was a little slick, even if used sparingly.

Meguiar's M40, and Aerospace 303 are king! I've also tested the new Ultimate Protectant from Meguiars and it seems very promising from my limited experience with the product.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
The best I say a CoverKing dash mat....

I got a Dash Designs cover, it's very nice. I still wipe the dash with 303 ever 4 to 6 months though.

the biggest long-term question, I suppose, is how to refersh plasticizers that are depleted due to time at temperature. Heat is still present, even if a dash mat is used... UV will definitely increase degradation rate, but diffusion itself will cause issues.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the biggest long-term question, I suppose, is how to refersh plasticizers that are depleted due to time at temperature. Heat is still present, even if a dash mat is used... UV will definitely increase degradation rate, but diffusion itself will cause issues.

Won't keeping them wiped down with a 303 type product do that?

So what is actually in the 303? I guess there could be a small amount of a plasticizer to replace what is lost. I doubt automotive vinyls lose much plasticizer. 25 years ago when I was compounding vinyl for automotive electrical wire, the auto companies were very particular about which ones were used. The cheaper stuff could fog windshields or a least the older stuff with the layer of plastic between 2 sheets of glass. Maybe they have moderated about that with the modern tempered glass.

If the problem is skimping on stabilizers, and the vinyl degrades due to the oxidation of the vinyl itself and breakdown of the polymer bonds, rubbing stuff on it will only make it shine at the most.

I used to use 303 and still use it here and there but when I was sent a sample of Optimum protectant plus (now called leather protectant [same product with a light leather smell])I made the switch. Slightly cheaper with the same look and better smell during use (303 smelled like BO but it doesn't last long). Now since I order my detailing supplies buy Optimums is no big deal but if I didn't and I could get 303 locally I'd stick with it. But ordering online I will chose Optimum over 303.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html

I've always liked Meguiars #40 (beige trigger sprayer). I've also got 303, Vinylex and a bunch of others. I always keep coming back to #40. It became hard to find around here recently so I started using up other things I have on hand of which 303 has been my favourite.

Im not sure who makes it but I suspect Meguiars as they're leather wipes smell identical to the AAP ones, but I just used the AAP protectant wipes on my entire interior and after almost two weeks, I wiped the dash down with a damp, white paper towel and got very minimal dirt/dust.

I used to use all different kinds of tire dressing and tried Meguiar's quick detailer (didnt like it much and it stunk) then moved on to Armor all wipes and none of them produced as good of results as the AAP wipes. They're not greasy at all and not really shiny but have a great 'sheen' to them. Not really sure on how to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back