MMO - I Almost Hate To Admit it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Well I think more UOA with MMO going the distance and not causeing any spikes in wear metals or any drastic changes to TBN would go a long way to reducing peoples fears. It is not like it is easy to put something called "Marvels Mystery Oil" into and $40K car especialy when it smells like mint!

There's a few UOA's with MMO and they seem to be quiet good. But you're 100% correct that if there were more of them I think even more people would use the product. The word Mystery in the title leaves a lot to the imagination.

The minty smell is one of the bigest things about MMO that makes people really wounder about adding it to the oil. Imigne if it smelled like choclate?

I have used MMO at various times in the 35 years that I've been driving and I think that it works as claimed.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have used MMO at various times in the 35 years that I've been driving and I think that it works as claimed.

Me too.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
The minty smell is one of the bigest things about MMO that makes people really wounder about adding it to the oil. Imigne if it smelled like choclate?

Or Jack Daniels. :D

lol, and greenaccord you contributed cash to bitog. good on you

i wouldn't say troll, but like everything else in this pc world boundaries are being pushed to the extreme left

anyway why do you guys get worked up over dissention. dissention is healthy, it's good for rooting out all the little truths, it's good for science.
it's the same thing that angers me about global warming, the pro-man-made warming group is so self righteous, they won't even consider looking at other possible reasons for it

Found another new use for MMO... battery terminals. To lazy to come in a get some coke to clean them so put a little bit on there. Really cleaned it up see how it last. Put a ounce in the cooling system also, needs a new thermostat anyways. Radiator looks cloudy and bit red and after 100 miles hasn't exploded yet. Going to be in there about a week till the new thermostat arrives.. highly doubt it'll do anything though.

Well here's a bunch of reviews. Take 'em for what they're worth. BTW..I see some of these guys use it in the FUEL TANK as well.

MMO Reviews

Sample:

"I grew up around airports, aviators and airplane mechanics. I'm an old codger (58) who still flies.

In the mid 1960s, my dad did the "take your son to work" thing and I spent many enjoyable days in a very large hangar in El Paso where it was common to watch A&P mechanics overhauling engines. Marvel Mystery Oil was used in all the airplanes here. My father flew a Beechcraft Twin Bonanza Excalibur in those days (400 horsepower in each engine) and they used MMO in the crankcase at each oild change.

The seasoned mechanics AND the pilots swore by MMO, and many of these guys were Army Air Corp pilots during WW2, having lots of experience in lot's of different airplanes.

I took my first lessons in the Excalibur (when I was 12, no kidding) and got my license early. I'm 58 now and on my 12th airplane, have used MMO in the crankcase and fuel, 4 ounces per 20 gallons. No problems, no sticking valves and on a tear-down of one my Lycoming 0-320E2A engines, (my dad was also an A&P) my engine was sparkling clean, the wear was astonishing low (in fact the camshaft and crankshaft were the same limits as when new!.)

I bought a Cherokee 140, brought it home, pulled the "freeze plug" on the crankshaft (behind the prop) this was the hollow core crank, and GOD was it loaded with lead deposits. We sucked the goo out as best we could, put a new plug in. I continued to fly the Cherokee and two years later pulled the plug, and the crank was SUPER CLEAN. I ran MMO in the gas and the oil for that 2 year period, and I'm 99% certain the MMO helped clean the lead out of my engine.

My friends who flew (in the same general area I live in) who didn't run MMO, had lead problems, plug fouling and one guy had sticky valves... I've never had a problem and I am a believer in MMO.

Nope, it isn't FAA approved (to do so costs major bucks) and the company who makes this stuf probably is happy to have customers who run tractors, stock cars, boats buying MMO... Even if the went through the expensive FAA certification process, would their sales increase? Maybe a tad, but not enough to justify the cost of going through the hoops and hurdles with the FAA process.

One sidebar note... I use MMO in a couple of tractors on my farm. When the sit during the winter and are not run, I believe the MMO is at work. I also draw a vacuum on the oil tanks and crankcase, purging the engine of moist air and I replenish with nitrogen (the same stuff I use in my struts on my airplanes in place of compressed air containing moisture...) I learned this "trick" from the old mechanics I knew when I was a kid growing up in the hangars."

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
---------------------------------------------------

"I've been using this "snake oil" for twenty five years on my own vehicles upon the recommendation of a mechanic and I have never had any engine or fuel system problem, ever. I use one part Marvel to four parts of the cheapest 20/50 SAE motor oil and the best oil filter I could find for the crankcase system. I cut it with 20/50 since I get more viscosity than with 10/40. For 5/30 engines you should probably try cutting with 10/40. Marvel will definitely lower the viscosity of whatever oil you use.

For fuel systems, I periodically mix about 8 to 12 ounces into a twenty gallon tank of gasoline depending on how low the gauge is.

I ran a 1984 Dodge Van with a 318 V8 with a carburetor 125,000 miles until I wrecked it, 17 - 21 miles per gallon around town and on the highway.

I ran a 1993 Saturn 300,000 miles until I just got sick of driving it, 27 - 32 miles per gallon city and highway. At the end it burned 8 ounces of motor oil per 350 miles. However, I beat this hog and I routinely drove it at 80 miles per hour and often more up and down the mountains in New England.

I currently run a 2003 Dodge AWD Sport minivan with a fuel injected 3.8 liter V6. I've run it 50,000 miles so far at 20 - 22 miles per gallon up and down those same New England mountains. It has 120,000 on it now.

Marvel is not cheap at 15 or 20 bucks a gallon. However, when used regularly, according to the instructions on the label, in the crankcase and mixed with gasoline, it cleans all the junk out of the crankcase oil system and your fuel system over time. If your engine is in good shape and you change your oil, plugs and wiresets when you are supposed too, then do be surprised by a noticeable improvement in mileage and smoother operation almost immediately after starting use of it. I believe it is worth the price in that it has eliminated major repairs in my case.

If you hear knocking and pinging at cold start do not be surprised when it disappears after using Marvel. If your engine is too loose then its too late. Nothing will improve an engine that's beyond proper mechanical tolerance except a rebuild.

This stuff is no joke. Before the mechanic recommended it to me I was in the military and I worked on a lot of rusty crusty vehicles from the tropics to the arctic. We invariably had a crate of nondescript nameless olive drab colored cans of penetrating oil, type one each, with a national stock number for military supply. The first time I cracked open a can of Marvel bought from a civilian auto parts store, I immediately recognized the scent. Its the same stuff. The military has been using it for seventy years or more.

Its the only additive that I ever use. I've been told that the secret is in the fact that its a very light weight penetrating oil along with a boron additive that dissolves varnish and sludge. That's why you must use the best crankcase oil filter that you can find. You want to trap all the junk in the filter so that it does not circulate back through the crankcase systems. The boron additive apparently polishes engine surfaces thus contributing to smoother operation.

Marvel is also very good on anything that's rusted. It eats rust. I know some guys that even poured it into completely seized, rusted motor blocks that sat for years, decades even, let it soak through and then broke the seize with a starter and ran the things as well! Not for the meek, though.

Whatever, I don't work for them or own stock in them, I just know it works. Remember, when all else fails, follow instructions.

Good Luck & Godspeed."

Bottom Line Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Last edited:
Oh...in case this hasn't been posted. Here is the MMO Forum. Interesting stuff.

MMO Forum

Never used it. I will use in my gas tank (8 oz) and add 16OZ to oil before my next oil change. Keep ya'all informed.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Found another new use for MMO... battery terminals. To lazy to come in a get some coke to clean them so put a little bit on there. Really cleaned it up see how it last. Put a ounce in the cooling system also, needs a new thermostat anyways. Radiator looks cloudy and bit red and after 100 miles hasn't exploded yet. Going to be in there about a week till the new thermostat arrives.. highly doubt it'll do anything though.

I wrap a patch around a bronze brush and use it to clean my shotgun barrel. You'd be amazed how much carbon fouling comes out. I also wipe all the metal down on the gun with it, it seems to be working well.

My 2001 Dakota 3.9 V6 with 65,000 miles was a municipal truck until June, 2009. It was used by a city building inspector and had low miles, but lots of idle time and a bit of sludge. I changed the oil four times but could not get rid of the lifter noise. After reading posts on this forum, I tried 16 ounces of MMO in the crankcase over the weekend. In 10 miles, the lifter noise was almost gone. After a 225 mile highway drive the next day, no noise at all. Now I'll try it in the gas....

I think if you've never used it in the gas you might actually notice a difference. I've turned a lot of people on to it over the years and they've remarked about a smoother idle when adding it to gas and oil. I would suggest you use it again next time you change your oil, it will clean things up.

Originally Posted By: daman
Has anyone done a VOA on MMO?? whats all in it????

Check out this link: MMO Contents

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons are base oils, the same oils that are used in transmission and power steering fluids. Mineral spirits and Chlorinated Hydrocarbons are solvent that dissolve sludge and varnish keeping them in suspension until they are either burned in the combustion chamber of removed when your crankcase oil is changed.

If you change your oil doing reasonable OCI's,use the proper grade oil your car calls for and use quality gasoline do you really need MMO...I am not saying MMO is snake oil and I know a guy who loves MMO and thinks his C.V. runs smoother using it...I also do not notice his car running any smoother or running any better then mine.

I put 300K miles on a 88 Town Car, 200K on a 99 Grand Maquis and ton of miles on other cars from the 70,s 80,s and never ever used MMO or anything extra in my oil or gas tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back