I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seriously contemplating using RL 5W-40 in my Subie EJ257, but I'm not sure it's worth paying >2X what I pay for RTS. Maybe if I had the hoohoos to run it >2X longer or some data to verify lesser wear I'd try it out, but for now I'll just sit here on the sidelines, enjoying my cheapo "synthetic"

FWIW, I've also considered using RLI 5W-40 since Terry thinks so highly of it. That combined with so many here being on the fence, especially for a more sever-service application. I think if I did this it would provide some good information, and maybe shed some light on how well this oil really holds up to heat and time. While StevieC's planned runs will provide some info, some MIGHT be able to argue that my Subie EJ257 would constitute a slightly more severe service.
crackmeup2.gif

Regardless of the cost/benefits I think I'll eventually - with in the next couple of OCI - talk myself into trying one of the more boutique oils; most likely RLI for the aforementioned reasons
thumbsup2.gif

Also, since reading all of these butt-dyno responses I've been paying particular attention to how my drive feels every day to see if I notice any changes from day to day, fill up to fill up. FWIW, the car felt much better and responsive today than it did a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's weather, mood, fuel - I try to fill up at the same Shell every time - or maybe a few days of senses-numbing highway driving that made it feel more responsive, but it did. The oil is the same, maybe 500 miles older - 4100 on the oil TD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
The way the engine is responding with the oil it has got to churn out good numbers... Nothing has made it this quiet and free-feeling ever!

Is it as good as that free-feeling one gets when not wearing underwear?

Originally Posted By: rcy
The way the engine is responding with the oil it has got to churn out good numbers... Nothing has made it this quiet and free-feeling ever!

Oh, you mean like on three days past laundry day? I just thought that was called lazy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy

Even better... It's like streaking across your college campus!
lol.gif

I know it's all hearsay... Hoping to have a UOA to back it up.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'm seriously contemplating using RL 5W-40 in my Subie EJ257, but I'm not sure it's worth paying >2X what I pay for RTS. Maybe if I had the hoohoos to run it >2X longer or some data to verify lesser wear I'd try it out, ...

32.gif

Thread hi-jack mode on.
55.gif

If you're up for a challenge
grin2.gif
, try searching for some RL uoa's on turbo subie's. I know there are a few on here somewhere, including a good one in a modified (Stage IV??) WRX using RL 10W-40.

Edit: found it here by using the search function on nasioc. That one was actually 5W-40.

-Dennis

Last edited:

All kidding aside, its the exact reason why I may be sticking with this oil. The engine is so buttery smooth on this oil. I also will do a UOA but with my job being only ~2 miles away I won't do a UOA until sometime around October 2010. Should be meaningless though because I changed to Red Line with the motor only having 1445 miles. It'll be a good trend though.

Originally Posted By: buster
I like how the Mazda is running on the RL 0w20.

When did you put it in Buster? And is that the first run of RL? How's consumption compared to other oils you've used?

Originally Posted By: webfors

When did you put it in Buster? And is that the first run of RL? How's consumption compared to other oils you've used?

About a month ago. First run of RL. I have 2,300 miles on it now. The 3 doesn't consume any oil at all.

Will sample when the oil has about 10k on it.

Recorded 28.4 mpg with this oil averaging 80mph on the highway and fairly aggressive acceleration.

Originally Posted By: tig1
You bet. The human mind easily succums to the to power of persuasion and desire.

It's not a placebo effect. I wasn't expecting the difference I saw at all, yet I can still hear and feel it. I also just got my best ever city mileage on this oil.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors

About a month ago. First run of RL. I have 2,300 miles on it now. The 3 doesn't consume any oil at all.

Will sample when the oil has about 10k on it.

Recorded 28.4 mpg with this oil averaging 80mph on the highway and fairly aggressive acceleration.

When did you get a Mazda? Thought you had a Accord?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'm seriously contemplating using RL 5W-40 in my Subie EJ257, but I'm not sure it's worth paying >2X what I pay for RTS. Maybe if I had the hoohoos to run it >2X longer or some data to verify lesser wear I'd try it out, ...

32.gif

Thread hi-jack mode on.
55.gif

If you're up for a challenge
grin2.gif
, try searching for some RL uoa's on turbo subie's. I know there are a few on here somewhere, including a good one in a modified (Stage IV??) WRX using RL 10W-40.

Edit: found it here by using the search function on nasioc. That one was actually 5W-40.

-Dennis

So you were ok with the free-balling for three days comment, but THIS you consider off topic?
48.gif
I've searched the forums for Turbo-subie UOA, but I'm not sure one with only a single track day on it compares to DD. You've gotta admit there're a lot of early dumpers on nasioc. I was one of 'em before I found this place. Now I'm trying to get as much out of each change as possible.

Reading posts like StevieC's I begin considering spending more money for a boutique oil merely to satisfy my curiosity than for any cost benefit. Like some people on here I would enjoy spending more money on an oil change just to see what happens while others delight in finding the cheapest possible oil on sale and stocking up for the next 15 years!
lol.gif

I will have 5K KM's on it then... and I will run this sample through Toromont testing here in Toronto so we have a starting point to see how the number show up/change over consecutive runs.

Can you give some details on this Toromont UOA testing? Are there other (good) testing options in Ontario?

Picked up a 'good deal' on some Red Line at PartSource.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
I will have 5K KM's on it then... and I will run this sample through Toromont testing here in Toronto so we have a starting point to see how the number show up/change over consecutive runs.

Can you give some details on this Toromont UOA testing? Are there other (good) testing options in Ontario?

The Toromont kits are great, and easy to obtain.

Originally Posted By: martinq

Wearcheck Canada in Burlington is also available for UOAs.

WearCheck is good but pricey... Toromont does free TBN/TAN if you ask for it with your UOA request. They are $20/kit roughly and available by visiting Toromont's website.

Let me state that Black Stone labs is an excellent lab to deal with and has served me well in the past but for the cost for us Canucks it makes more sense to go with Toromont or WearCheck etc.

For all US folk please support our friends at Black Stone as they are a site sponsor.

cheers3.gif

WearCheck is good but pricey... Toromont does free TBN/TAN if you ask for it with your UOA request. They are $20/kit roughly and available by visiting Toromont's website.

Let me state that Black Stone labs is an excellent lab to deal with and has served me well in the past but for the cost for us Canucks it makes more sense to go with Toromont or WearCheck etc.

For all US folk please support our friends at Black Stone as they are a site sponsor.

cheers3.gif

Ahhh, Toromont eh? Thank you!

The Amsoil that I took out is off to the Lab for testing to see if my new Amsoil EAA conical air filter I put on recently fixed the elevated SI levels in my last UOA's.

Will keep y'all posted.

Hey Stevie, I am bettin' you must have the #s and analysis back on that past run of the AMSOIL. Can you share the #s with us in the UOA section?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back