VOA's: Amsoil MTF & Redline MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
AmsoilMTF_VOAdist_sm.jpg

RedlineMTL_VOAdist_sm.jpg

Their format is hard to read. They should use a larger font CAPITAL letter on top of the elements and justify the text to the top, rather than the bottom. "P"otassium

Wow I might have to give Amsoil's new MTL a try some time just so I have another choice to recomend. I have to admit though I am partial to ester's over PAO given the choice. It is smart though for Amsoil to copy Redline as Redline MTL has been in a class by itself for a super long time! It never pays to reinvent the wheel when you can just copy someone else's wheel and have an instantly great product!I still have a while before I need to change out my lube in transmission.

Wow I might have to give Amsoil's new MTL a try some time just so I have another choice to recomend. I have to admit though I am partial to ester's over PAO given the choice. It is smart though for Amsoil to copy Redline as Redline MTL has been in a class by itself for a super long time! It never pays to reinvent the wheel when you can just copy someone else's wheel and have an instantly great product!I still have a while before I need to change out my lube in transmission.

Amsoil didn't copy Redline. They both copied Synchromesh!!!!

Great data. Amsoil is a point thinner at temp.

With many new fluids showing up with doses of Boron, makes me wonder if they'll need to 'reformulate' with newer technology.

Quote:
Yes, synchromesh is 'loaded' but doesn't have the group4/5 basestocks.

In actuality, the original Blue/Silver labeled bottle of GM Synchromesh contained some GroupV base oil in it for low temp operation.

The GroupV was an alkylated Benzene, similar to the alkylated naphthalene or AN.

The next time I come across a bottle, I will get the part number off of it. As I recall, it had some Delco wording on the label.

The GroupV was an alkylated Benzene, similar to the alkylated naphthalene or AN.

The next time I come across a bottle, I will get the part number off of it. As I recall, it had some Delco wording on the label.

It's hard to see the "real" potency of these fluids without a sulfur count. The sulfur would provide the heavy duty EP.

Redline advertises their oil as a GL-4. I don't think you can make a GL-4 without sulfur or chlorine (and I don't think they use the latter).

Quote:
Redline advertises their oil as a GL-4. I don't think you can make a GL-4 without sulfur or chlorine (and I don't think they use the latter).

The Extreme Pressure agent is a P-S combo, while the AW agent is a usually ZDDP. These are both GL4 rated oils with about 60% of the EP package found in GL5 differential lubes.

The oils shown are both synchromesh oils with about 1200 ppm of P and 3000+ ppm of sulfur with included buffering compounds.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231182#Post1231182

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back