I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good reports so far!! With 10,000 post do you have anything else to do with your time
48.gif

Originally Posted By: cornfused
Would anybody care to explain to me why and/or how esters are so much better? And where's the best place to read about it?

Thanks

This is what im wondering myself. I can buy redline at a pretty decent price so I would entertrain possibly using it. Just really want to know the major differences

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Ok I can't wait anymore... I'm putting in the Redline 0w30 today for the first run.

I will be filling up with fuel when I take it on the run after the change so I can check the fuel economy average versus the Amsoil.

I also want to see how well it flows in the cold. It's getting a tad nippy here.

I will be posting a UOA here of the second run of the Red Line once it is run and that should be by Januaryish.

WOOHOO!

I beat you,put mine in about 2-weeks ago now
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Ragin_Diesel
Originally Posted By: cornfused
Would anybody care to explain to me why and/or how esters are so much better? And where's the best place to read about it?

Thanks

This is what im wondering myself. I can buy redline at a pretty decent price so I would entertrain possibly using it. Just really want to know the major differences

Here is a good article to start with: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...994#Post1252272

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I doubt RL is going to be better than the Amsoil. If anything, I bet the Amsoil SSO is a lot better.

I actually believe the opposite but we'll know after StevieC does his little test.

True, but keep in mind the size and resources of Amsoil R&D vs. Redline R&D.

Eh, not much different. Both leverage their additive suppliers.

Redline 0w-30 and Amsoil SSO are two very similar, yet very different oils.

How's the weather in Toronto this time of year? Any idea? Do they all speak French? Just curious. Low crime rate I hear. Good schools.
56.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Have your UOA looked good in the passed? Your Sig says you have been using SSO, thats a tough product to beat. Either way you'll be happy and so will your vehicle

The SSO UOA's are excellent. They are posted here. I'm always experimenting and I will let you know how it compares to SSO.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Interested in the results, making a case for my father to switch to RL from Amsoil, and save the $20 PC fee. Hope it works for you!

I will let you know how it goes...

I put it in about 2 hours ago and went out shopping and errand running. So far I'm impressed. The oil pressure gauge was showing over 100 PSI on a cold engine. (Amsoil was about 85-90) Then once it was warmed up to operating temperature (30KM of driving) it was sitting at 65 PSI at 2K RPM compared to my Amsoil which was 50 PSI at 2K RPM at the same temperature. Idling at the lights fully warmed up I have 20 PSI. Amsoil is 10 PSI. I guess POE has better pressure properties. (30wt compared to 30wt)

The other thing is the engine is completely silent. I kid you not... I can't hear the thing running at all. I can hear the injectors ticking ever so slightly and the rad-fan kick on/off but otherwise it's dead silent. I always had quiet but somewhat tappy valve-lifters. So far this gets a
thumbsup2.gif
Lets see if it maintains this Ninja effect.
grin2.gif

Anyways... It's the first fill with an Amsoil EAO filter on there. I will run it 3 fills before I do a UOA to ensure all the Amsoil is gone and that all the cleaning that may be going on has fully taken place and won't play with the numbers.

The Amsoil that I took out is off to the Lab for testing to see if my new Amsoil EAA conical air filter I put on recently fixed the elevated SI levels in my last UOA's.

Will keep y'all posted.

I think it's good that your hot idle pressure is twice as high. However, 100psi on a cold start is getting close to causing problems. I've never had a spin on filter stay on past 120psi.

It's interesting you got twice the hot idle pressure when the 100C vis is close. What's the 40c vis like on both?

Originally Posted By: Julian
How's the weather in Toronto this time of year? Any idea? Do they all speak French? Just curious. Low crime rate I hear. Good schools.
56.gif
grin2.gif

Weather is cool at the moment:
71263.gif

We have relatively low crime compared to the rest of major cities. I'm about 80KM from Downtown Toronto. If I could drive across the lake it would be like 20.
grin2.gif

We have good schools, we are quite educated actually.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I think it's good that your hot idle pressure is twice as high. However, 100psi on a cold start is getting close to causing problems. I've never had a spin on filter stay on past 120psi.

It's interesting you got twice the hot idle pressure when the 100C vis is close. What's the 40c vis like on both?

The pressure has always been that high even before I started using Amsoil. I guess the Manufacturer is "OK" with it. Others on the Hyundai boards have the same pressure. I'm using High Quality Amsoil filters which are built like tanks anyways so I'm not worried.

The pressures are as follows:

Idle

Temperature / Amsoil / Redline
40oC / 80 PSI / 100 PSI
100oC / 10 PSI / 20 PSI

2K RPM

Temperature / Amsoil / Redline
40oC / 100+ PSI / 100+ PSI (Gauge tops out at 100 but it is over)
100oC / 50ish PSI / 75-80 PSI

So I went out this morning to see the oil level and it's really dark looking like a light coloured molasses. Is this normal for the first change with Redline?

Usually with my Amsoil it's so clear I can barely see it on the dipstick.

I had the same observations with the Amsoil. The first run of it in my 08 Jeep it is still pretty clear and a little tough to read on the stick even after 2000 miles. The PP I was using before had that honey color after about 1000 miles.

How cold is it this morning? Does it just look really thick steve?
Not thick at all.. It has the consistency of water like the Amsoil did but it's really dark looking like it's time to change.

Weather is:

71263.gif

Was about 2C (35.6F) this morning when I checked it.

Thats odd, did it really go to work that fast. I have to admit I have questioned amsoils ability to clean. I too have had oil with 2-3k on it look like i just dumped it in. At the time I attributed the eao11 oil filter on the F150 to it. Then I put in some MC 5-30 and an EAO and notice the oil got dirty much quicker.

about 15 years ago my autoshop teacher told us that if your oil is clean thats not a good thing as it's not doing it's job. Now that i'm in the automotive industry and have seen some nasty stuff. I understand where he came from.

So steve this little test might come out really good for the members of this site. I'm surely going to keep up on this one.

Mine got an initial darkness to it after the first day or two and has remained about the same to it's current 4,000 miles.

Thats odd, did it really go to work that fast. I have to admit I have questioned amsoils ability to clean. I too have had oil with 2-3k on it look like i just dumped it in. At the time I attributed the eao11 oil filter on the F150 to it. Then I put in some MC 5-30 and an EAO and notice the oil got dirty much quicker.

about 15 years ago my autoshop teacher told us that if your oil is clean thats not a good thing as it's not doing it's job. Now that i'm in the automotive industry and have seen some nasty stuff. I understand where he came from.

So steve this little test might come out really good for the members of this site. I'm surely going to keep up on this one.

I had my doubts about the Amsoil ability to clean as well, since the oil stayed so clean, but my Jeep only has 8000 miles on it so there shouldn't be anything to clean. The PP did darken faster, but it started out darker. As far as engine noise and how well it runs, everything is just fine!

Here is what it looks like... keep in mind when I usually put Amsoil in it's clear on the dipstick and look like nothing on there at all and you have to hold it at a weird angle to see anything so this is very dark in comparison.

rl1.jpg

When I put it in yesterday and started it up, then shut off to check the level it was even darker.

You can also see how runny the oil is at our current weather of 7C (44F)

It ran above the Full mark as shown and dripped onto the plastic under the hood also as shown. It has the consistency of water.

Color doesn't mean anything. M1 always became dark quickly. Redline does the same thing. People get fooled into thinking clear oil means better oil. Not so. They also use dye in motor oil and some of the additives of certain oils react different to heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back