What is the difference between Mercon V and MV??

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between Mercon V and MV??

Is really conduse. I thought that was the same but apparently are differents. A call the Mazda dealer (I am from Central America) al I asked for the ATF for Mazda 6. They Told me that they use the MERCON V, not the MV. They told me that are the same but I read that are differents.
Impossible to get the MV here. I had to bought the Mercon V, but by mistake I replace some months ago for a normal ATF, because in the Manual are a Mazda 6 2wd and 4wd, I use the one that use the 4WD and the normal that you can get here everywhere. Bean the problem with tha transmission, shift.

This appear in a Service Boletin from Mazda:

Subject:
CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYPE M5) AND MERCON®V AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUIDS
Bulletin No: 05-005/08
Last Issued: 4/11/2008
Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
Irvine, CA 92618-2922
MULTI MODEL - CORRECT APPLICATIONS FOR ATF M-V (TYP

DESCRIPTION
Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing ATF. Using the wrong ATF may
cause shift quality complaints or may even damage the transmission.
NOTE:
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IS NOT THE SAME FLUID AS MERCON®V ATF.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER VISCOSITY THAN MERCON®V ATF IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
• ATF M-V (TYPE M5) HAS A GREATER ANTI-JUDDER SPECIFICATION THAN MERCON®V ATF.

CAUTION:
• USING ATF OTHER THAN ATF M-V (TYPE M5) IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
DESIGNED TO USE ATF M-V (TYPE M5) MAY CAUSE SHIFT QUALITY COMPLAINTS.
• USING ATF OTHER THAN MERCON®V IN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS DESIGNED TO
USE MERCON®V MAY CAUSE TRANSMISSION DAMAGE.

Mercon V is Mercon V. in Mazda speak, MV is the equivalant of FNR5 fluid, they are not compatible, and we have seen complete trans failures due to the use of Mercon V in a MV application.

That seems like a mistake on their part to name it M-V. When you mark it as such it makes people that are knowledgeable enough to be dangerous, ASSuME Mercon V is the same stuff.

Wow! Excuse my ignorance but with all the acronyms used in this forum. I thought this was about the difference between Multi-Vehicle=MV ATF which, usually is Mercon V. I did not even know there was a classification of ATF called M-V. I understand why there would be confusion between the M-V classification and Mercon V fluid.

Originally Posted By: ludey
Wow! Excuse my ignorance but with all the acronyms used in this forum. I thought this was about the difference between Multi-Vehicle=MV ATF which, usually is Mercon V. I did not even know there was a classification of ATF called M-V. I understand why there would be confusion between the M-V classification and Mercon V fluid.

You will find a lot of acronyms when you get into any technical field. Computers are really overrun with them too.

There are a couple of multi-vehicle fluids that pass M-V specs. I've used both Mobile1 Synthetic ATF and Amsoil ATF in my Mazda3's trans. Both of them list M-V on the bottle.

Yes, the M-V is a dealer item. I just bought 5 quarts from my local dealer. The price went from $15 to $10/quart after I grumbled. There's no recommended service interval for the transmission in the manual, but the pan has a drain plug. I plan on doing a drain and fill with this expensive "Mazda M-V" stuff. I don't want to take a chance using a non spec product. I don't care for that universal, "one for all" stuff either. After hours of reading, I've concluded it's good practice to change ATF about every 30,000 miles. I'm at 39,000 on the FF.

Last edited:
Ok, I did a simple drain and fill today. I drained the pan and re-filled with 3 quarts of this Mazda M5 stuff. Upon completion, I took a test drive. The transmission seems to shift smoother and a bit more responsively. It definitely felt good to pour that OEM fluid into the transmission. I will do another drain and fill next oil change and report back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back