So anyone actually use green grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using my autozone card lately and actually spent enough to get a $20 store credit. I bought some grease with it. Grabbed a tube of $8 green grease just for sh!ts and giggles. I emailed the company and got the MSDS and it appears to be (like they claim) a mixed complex synthetic(~40%) / Lithium(~20%) / Calcium(~15%) based grease with no Molybdenum. I loaded up my new Tom Woods driveshaft with the stuff and it is pretty stringy. Anyone have any opinions besides it being overpriced? A women from green grease assured me it is the best grease money can buy
56.gif
but that new amsoil off road grease looks decent too.

I bought some one night when i ran out of Mobil 1.It seems to work fine in ball joints and on the gears in the worm circular saw i used it on,the Mobil was running out of the case,this one seems to hang right on the gears.The ball joints have stayed almost full after a year and 15k.

The specs look good so its probably a quality grease,the problem IMO is the "as seen on TV" carnival style website and advertising.
The company seems to have been around in the heavy equipment field for awhile and is now tring to break into the consumer end of the market,unfortunatly they chose a cheezy way to do it.

Here's some info:
http://www.greengrease.net/PDF/ggfactsheet.pdf

So...
Mixed complex thickeners tells us less than nothing. No grease is compatible with all other thickeners. With Green Grease we do not know which other grease it can be mixed with and which it must not be mixed with.

Everything else is OK.
Lubricating Solids tells us it contains moly or graphite or Teflon.
We know it has green dye and tackifiers. We don't know what the synthetic polymers do if anything more than marketing.
The viscosity index they list, 120, is the minimum spec for Group III base oil. Good, but not a big deal.

Last edited:
It has no Moly unless it is part of their proprietary blend, figure they would not hide that fact.

This is from the MSDS:

Distillates, petroleum: solvent refined heavy paraffinic: 30-50%
Residual Oils, Petroleum: solvent-refined: 10-30%
Lithium Carboxylate: 5-20%
Carbonic acid calcium salt (1:1): 1-15%
Polyisobutylene: 1-15%
Proprietary Ingredients: 1-5%
Zinc and zinc compounds: 0-1%

Last edited:
I to have been looking for more info, so far I've only had the nerve to use it on the bearings in my mountain bike. Seems to hold up a long time.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
It has no Moly unless it is part of their proprietary blend, figure they would not hide that fact.

This is from the MSDS:

Distillates, petroleum: solvent refined heavy paraffinic: 30-50%
Residual Oils, Petroleum: solvent-refined: 10-30%
Lithium Carboxylate: 5-20%
Carbonic acid calcium salt (1:1): 1-15%
Polyisobutylene: 1-15%
Proprietary Ingredients: 1-5%
Zinc and zinc compounds: 0-1%

Thanks for the info. Can you please post the entire MSDS for board records and sometimes there are other clues in the rest of the MSDS.

Not sure how they call solvent refined GRP I "synthetic"???

I put some in my son's bike bearings. It was very sticky and caused a lot of friction so I took it out. It does stick well as cleaning it out of the bearings was a PITA.

Last edited:
They sent it to me as 9 separate image pdf's. I'd post them here but I don't think you can attach files and I don't have the gum-shim to host them somewhere. I will forward the email if anyone wants to PM me their email address. I am planning to do some sort of a test on greases in my chemistry lab class and the school office need the msds sheets filed for any chemical you bring in the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back