75w90 in a 10w30 hypoid drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some gear oil that didn't fit in my car. Can I use Redline 75w90 GL-5 hypoid gear oil in the final drive of my 07 Yamaha C3 moped final drive that specs 10w30 hypoid gear oil?

Does it spec 10W-30 gear oil, or engine oil? The reason I ask is that gear oil and engine oil numbers are not interchangeable. A 75W-90 gear oil is pretty close to the weight of a 10W-40 engine oil, but the additives are very different between the two. If it specs engine oil, there may be a reason.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Does it spec 10W-30 gear oil, or engine oil? The reason I ask is that gear oil and engine oil numbers are not interchangeable. A 75W-90 gear oil is pretty close to the weight of a 10W-40 engine oil, but the additives are completely different between the two. If it specs engine oil, there may be a reason.

My original post is correct. The engine oil is only for the engine and the hypoid gear oil is for the final drive. The final drive does spec 10w-30 HYPOID oil while the engine specs 10w-30 or 20w-40 MOTOR oil.

Don't worry, I know the difference ;-) and they do not share the same sump.

Here is the quote from the manual

ENGINE OIL

LUBRICATION SYSTEM
WET SUMP

RECOMMENDED OIL
YAMALUBE4, SAE10W30, SAE20W40

API SERVICE SG TYPE OR HIGHER
JASO STAND MA

Quantity ~~~
----------------------------------
FINAL GEAR OIL

RECOMMENDED OIL
SAE10W30 HYPOID GEAR OIL

Quantity ~~~

to answer your original question, yes, you can use 75-90 gear oil. I dont think you will find a 10-30 hypoid motor oil. it almost sounds like a translation issue - Unless Yammy dealers actually stock that product.

I'd use it. But first, I'd look for the lightest full synth hypoid gear oil and see if I could get a bit closer to the [very odd] specification.

I've got a bottle of Amsoil 75W-90 in front of me - it's pretty thin stuff. I would not hesitate to use it in your application.

You can check the relative viscosities on this chart.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=55

A 10W-30 hypoid gear oil must be a Yamaha specialty item.

As you can see from the chart above, the numbers refer to the type of oil in addition to referring to the actual viscosity. SAE viscosity grades from 0W through 60 indicate engine oils. SAE viscosity grades 70 through 140 indicate gear oils. A 90 wt. gear oil is close to a 40 wt. engine oil in actual viscosity.

The 90wt is a little thicker which should protect better.

A 75w85 GL5 gear oil is pretty much what you're looking for. Its a pretty uncommon spec in the states. Toyota has a GL5 75w85.

Any 75w90 should be good enough. It'll shear into an 85wt.

A number of tractors use GL-4/CL/CF rated engine oils in their final drives, generally 15/20W-40's, so it is possible a lighter weight could exist, but as everyone above suggested, just use a 75W-90, it's equivalent to an xW-40 engine oil in viscosity so not too much heavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back