Speedplay Zero Pedal Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I got a set of speedplay zero pedals for my roadbike. Some folks were asking for a review or impressions, so here we go.

Background: Cannondale CAAD 9 with look keo pedals. For a long while, no issues, but Ive never liked the one-sided clipping in. he design also doesn't really allow for transfer of power unless clipped in, you can slip right out if not clipped on the correct side of the pedal, let alone if you try to pedal on the other side. Given that I ride near a lot of traffic, I prefer the feel and brainlessness of my SPD pedals on my MTB. Something that as long as you have a slight feel for where the pedal/cleat are, will allow you to transmit power, move along even if not clipped in, and can brainlessly clip in merely with a bit of weight.

Also, recently I have started to develop a bit of pain in my right shin due to lack of float. My knee seemed to want to rotate outward, and it started to bother me a bit. This wasnt my driver for switching... Ive been thinking about it for a while, but it is something to note.

I instaled them this morning, putting the right cleat so my leg was a bit further out - a nice thing with the configurability and flexibility of the cleat with these pedals. I left the float in standard setup as came from thebox.

I got on my bike to go. First thing I noticed was that I could easily and effectively pedal without being clipped in. A great bit of peace of mind when you have to get moving real fast. OK, so what about clipping in? A bit different than other pedals Ive used, and it seems as if I almost have to rotate my foot a tiny bit. Easy to get used to though, and since I can pedal and move without being clipped in, it doesn't really matter.

Once clipped in, there is a good reassuring feel, no hotspots, and good transfer of power. Some folks talk about the skating feeling because of the float, and I I noticed it sometimes when out of the saddle pedaling hard, but it was actually more noticable on my left leg, which typically tracks in a very straight line. It was no big deal though, IMO.

Clipping out was an easy rotation, very straightforward.

All in all, I think the look pedals had a more positive leefing for clipping in, and if they offered a pedal that was dual-sided or always kept clip side up, I may have still been using them. However, the straightforwardness of the pedal, the grease port (easy servicing), ability to easily pedal without being clipped in, etc. are all major plusses.

Some reviews sa the cleats don't last. We stopped at the grocery store when out today, and just a little walking on concrete did show some decent scratching on the cleats. The covers are definately a recommended accessory - I can see these things wearing quick.

It is suggested to add a few drips of dry lube on the cleats. We will see if that does anything as they break in more and get more use.

All in all, I couldn't be happier - I cannot really think of anything close to resmbling a compelling negative.

Good review. Speedplay pedals have been on our road racing and tri- bikes for the last 12+ years without many issues ( cleat springs will break ). We have just recently starting using the Look Keo Pedals and like them better for mainly one reason. Comfort. No more "hot" spots.

LBS told me the base-plate for the cleat needs to be placed right for the pedals to work their best. They did the install on my shoes for free. No hotspots here, specialized carbon-sole shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back