How good are microguard oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to put a Microguard oil filter I got from Advance Auto parts in my 1992 lincoln towncar.

I got it as an oil deal-----you now, 5 quarts & oil filter for $$$$$.

Is it any good? Or is it bad like a Fram?

I did not know AAP sold Microguard, never seen them there, thought it was O'Reilly's house brand.
21.gif

Anyway, in the recent past they had been made by Purolator. I looked at one recently and they still appear to be Puro. There have been other posts here about them. IMO, they are fine for a 3-5k OCI.

Micro Guard = Purolator = new ownership and different construction. In the past nothing special as long as you didn't mind the dome end bypass. Better than a Fram now? To be seen.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
O'Reilly, made by Purolator. Perfectly acceptable.

Is it more like a PureONE (yellow) or a classic Purolator (white) design?

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: beanoil
O'Reilly, made by Purolator. Perfectly acceptable.

Is it more like a PureONE (yellow) or a classic Purolator (white) design?
I have not cut one open but I would not say Pure One efficiency, more like Classic with slightly less media, likely similar to old AAP Total Grip.

I found the thread with one cut open. Metal endcaps, don't look bad.
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1445182&fpart=1

I recently bought my wife a 2005 Ford Freestar. It had a Microguard on it when I brought it home. The only thing I didn't like about the Microguard was that my end cap filter wrench wouldn't fit it. The filter was slightly too small and the wrench wouldn't grip. And, whoever put it on, put it on TIGHT! Due to location of the filter, a strap wrench was out of the question. I had to buy a set of filter pliers to get it off. I replaced it with a Motorcraft filter and will be able to get it off by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back