2000 Honda Shadow Sabre oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all... I just purchased the above bike. It has the 1100cc motor. I am looking for recommendations on what oil to use for this bike. It has a shaft drive and I am looking to change this out as well, so any recommendations will also be appreciated. The bike has just over 7300 miles on it..Thanks in advance.

A multitude of choices are out there.
Shadows aren't that hard on oil so: try Shell Rotella.
Reasonably priced at Wal-mart.
White jug is conventional 15W-40. Blue jug is Synthetic 5W-40.
High mileage oil 10W-40 will work fine too.
Any HDEO oil (diesel oil) will do fine.
You can spend a lot more, but why?
BTW-the SuperTech oil filter 7317 will work fine too.
Any oil filter that fits a Honda Civic will fit you bike.

I used to own a Shadow Spirit 1100, which is very similar to the Sabre in terms of engine and oil.

As dwendt44 says, they're pussycats ... not hard on oil at all.

What's your likely change interval? Are you the kind of person (like me) who wants to change every 3K or so even though it might not really need changing? If so, then save your money and drop any conventional truck oil (Rotella, Delvac, Delo, SuperTech) in there and save your worry cycles for other things.
wink.gif

It's a nice bike. Rock solid. Runs and runs. You'll enjoy it.

Oh, just for giggles ... find some empty road and wind it out in 2nd gear until the rev limiter kicks in. Won't hurt a thing and it'll give you a nice adrenaline buzz.
LOL.gif

Find the least expensive brand name HDEO in grade that you're happy with.

The hugely anal-retentive attitude of many BITOGers, especially when it comes to motorcycles, grossly over-states the need for "motorcycle specific" or other high-end synthetics, in short OCIs.

That bike of yours will do just fine on 5k miles of HDEO. It'll go much farther than that in reality, but if you're like most people, you won't be able to keep from the "call of the wrench".

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The hugely anal-retentive attitude of many BITOGers, especially when it comes to motorcycles, grossly over-states the need for "motorcycle specific" or other high-end synthetics, in short OCIs.

My good man ... whatever do you mean?
wink.gif

Dunno about the new liquid-cooled bikes, but my oil/air cooled GSX-R based 1200 Bandit specifies SH/SG additive levels. That means bike-specific oils, whether in an exotic synthetic or not. I ran M-1 car oil in my NighthawkS (hardly a horsepower or torque-producing heavyweight, but @ 80 horses @ 10,500 RPM, no slouch either) instead of a motorcycle-specific oil and it cost me a stripped 2nd gear. The gears need the zinc levels of the old grades, and SM-rated HDEOs don't deliver, folks. Perhaps in a cruiser app where there's little in the way of rapid upshifting or downshifting, or even high-rpm riding, you can get away with it, but even if they specc'd an SM HDEO, in any potential sporting app, I'd still want the additive of the SG/SH oils for the gears myself, even on a cat-equipped bike. It's just good sense until someone can show me a gearset that doesn't need the the add-pack..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back