PCMO vs HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Levels of ZDDP. Available weights.

When you wanted a heavier oil (for whatever reason), and you didn't care about damage to your 02 sensors or catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Levels of ZDDP. Available weights.

When you wanted a heavier oil (for whatever reason), and you didn't care about damage to your 02 sensors or catalytic converters.

If you towed or hauled a lot...also, on a newer car or truck, if it doesn't burn oil, then the O2 & cats would be okay w/ HDEO from the reports I have read & all the people using Rotella in their newer Jeeps w/ 4.0L.

HDEO is a very good choice for flat tappet cams and that is why many engine builders prefer it. I do not use though on my '01 4.0L Jeep because I have found that HM PCMO is sufficient and has enough extra Zinc & Phosporous, etc. but not quite as much as HDEO does.

I've been using it going on 76,000 miles and no emission related problems. My car uses no measurable oil over the OCI.

Been using it for years and always pass my E tests,which are mandatory around here,with flying colors (what ever that means).As long as the HDEO has SL rating for newer emissions you are good to go!
banana2.gif
01.gif

Except for a brief stint with Mobil 1 then Chevron Supreme synthetic, I have used HDEO for several 100,000s of miles. First it was Delvac 1330 then 1630 SAE 30 in the summer and 1310 SAE 10W in the winter. Now I use Chevron Delo 400, I prefer the non “low emissions” version but it’s hard to find.

Growing up in a family that had a construction company and also farmed we has 55 gallon drums of HDEO and that’s what we used in everything from D8 Caterpillars to Ford 302, 351W, 460s, and 6.9 as well as 7.3 diesels.

My first 6.9 diesel went 386,000 miles using 30 in the summer and 10W in the winter. I guess that says something about the current crop of low viscosity engine oils.

Since moving past the diesels I have used continued to use HDEO in every engine I have including my 2003, then 2006 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 engine.

If you start out with good oil and keep the engine in good shape so it never gets to the point of burning oil, this whole catalytic convertor and oxygen sensor stuff is a bunch of “the sky is falling” nonsense. While my main career path is with John Deere, I have worked at Chrysler, Jeep, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Rover dealerships as well. I’ve yet to see my first ruined catalytic convertor due to HDEO.

Used Amsoil HDD 5W30 a few times in the Tacoma. Once during my 1500 mile tow...did great. Stopped using it because it was too expensive.

Originally Posted By: fraso
HDEOs also generally do not have friction modifiers so PCMOs can potentially get 1-2% better fuel economy. If you want to try an HDEO other than 15W-40, I've compiled the following list:

Heavy Duty Engine Oils

Good list but only Rotella 5W40, Delvac 5W40, and Mobil 5W40 are readily available in US (in stores). I personally used Rotella 5W40 when towing with Subaru and worked great but lost MPG while driving in city.

One more thing to consider, HDEO is the perfect oil for marine use.

That's true. However, it is possible for anyone to order Rotella 10W-30 or 0W-30 (or Chevron or Petro-Canada, etc) from a distributor. You would have to order a case of it but buying 12 quarts at a time doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back