Larger PH8A version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked prior to asking but have not been able to find out if there is a larger (physical sixe) of Fram PH8A, would like to something larger.

51776 7" long. There's even one that is fatter but not as long. It's larger in total volume. I forget the number.

P550299 (51776/FL299)

P550580 (51189)

P551267 (51641 - probably biggest due to diameter)

P551603 (51459)

P553411 (51411)

P554407 (another 51459)

Or, if you want to use Fram, the PH977A.
thumbsup2.gif

I really doubt that capacity is the issue unless you are running 20,000 mile oil changes with a badly tuned engine or cheap oil.

Efficiency is more important if you want to reduce wear. Move to a synthetic like the P169071 which will take out 95% down to 7 microns instead of 20+ microns as in most filters.

I've read that its not good to use an oversized filter because it causes reduced oil pressure, reduced flow, and if you have a faulty adbv it takes longer for the filter to fill up and raise the oil pressure causing your engine to run dry longer. So whats the value of a larger filter?? More filter media area? Better cooling?

If you install any filter with out oil in it, it takes 2 seconds to fill.
What you've read is nonsense, no offense intended.
Oil pressure won't change, and flow through the engine won't change either. Flow through the filter will slow slightly, that's good.
A faulty abdv? How often does that happen?
With a good quality oil and filter, even an oversize one, you shouldn't have any worries.
My 2¢

Originally Posted By: widman
I really doubt that capacity is the issue unless you are running 20,000 mile oil changes with a badly tuned engine or cheap oil.

Efficiency is more important if you want to reduce wear. Move to a synthetic like the P169071 which will take out 95% down to 7 microns instead of 20+ microns as in most filters.

+1 on the Donaldson.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Gary, do you know if an oversize exists for the Purolator L24651 listed for a 5.0 Ford Explorer?

Yes and no. This uses the modular thread. You may have an oil cooler that sorta complicates it.

I believe that the 4.0 OCH and 5.0 that use the modular thread actually have the old 3/4-16 thread adapted via the right angle mount (if used) otherwise, it's a stud with 3/4-16 block side threads and 22x1.5mm exterior threads.

It it has a right angle mount w/o oil cooler, then you just get a right angle mount for a Chrokee for a lot less money ($40). If it's got an oil cooler, then the extension bolt for the cooler won't necessarily work depending on if it sits on the block side or the filter end of the right angle adapter.

Otherwise ..the bypass is a touch higher on this Wix offering

Part Number: 51087
UPC Number: 765809510876
Principal Application: Ford European-Dorset Engs.
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.477
Outer Diameter Top: 3.661
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 19
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 355
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 24

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

He's talking about bulging the can. Bigger can ..more flex.

Now if you're running one of these engines, I'd say follow this guy's advice. I'm sure that he found out that a bigger element made it harder to cope with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back