Falken Ziex ZE-912

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 512' were well praised for the value aspect. The 912's are essentially the same iteration, except they weigh a heck of a lot more compared to their older 512 variant in the same size.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
My 912s were horrible in the smallest amount of snow (as I already stated above). That's why I was surprised by Audi Junkie's post. It could depend a lot on the vehicle also. My Fusion was fwd, no ABS, no Traction Control. The 912s were horrible at stopping or going in 1" of snow. Otherwise, I loved the tire in the 3 other seasons.

Didn't even know you could BUY a Fusion like that!

shocked2.gif

I have the 912s in 225/40-18 on the front of my tC. these are great tires compared to Nittos and Kumhos that i usually get. I'd still get Nittos but the ZE-912 are a great alternative. on dry, i get great traction going around turns and arent noisy at all. on wet, i get great traction as well but i think it would be better if the tread pattern was directonal. just my observation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
The 512' were well praised for the value aspect. The 912's are essentially the same iteration, except they weigh a heck of a lot more compared to their older 512 variant in the same size.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
My 912s were horrible in the smallest amount of snow (as I already stated above). That's why I was surprised by Audi Junkie's post. It could depend a lot on the vehicle also. My Fusion was fwd, no ABS, no Traction Control. The 912s were horrible at stopping or going in 1" of snow. Otherwise, I loved the tire in the 3 other seasons.

Didn't even know you could BUY a Fusion like that!

shocked2.gif

I think ABS became standard in 08. Mine was an '07 SE.

So I need new tires for my car and was originally considering the ContiProContacts because they would be the cheapest name brand tires I can get after a coupon and the $75 mail-in-rebate Continental is offering. But it seems like nobody around here carries that tire.

I went to a Tires Plus close by and the guy priced out a set of Falken Ziex 912s for $430 otd. That sounds like a really good price for 17" tires + install.

So I was wondering if anybody has had any problems yet?

I don't have to deal with snow, so no concerns about their lack in that department (unless I somehow end up in WI again).

The Critic was telling me to stay away from them but the price is tempting. As long as they can last to the 40k miles they are rated for then I would be happy. The set of Michelin Pilots HX MXM4 on the car right now seem to last about that long anyways and they are more expensive.

Comments appreciated.

Anybody?

From the reviews I've read online these seem to be decent, at the least. I guess unless I come across 20 people saying that these tires went bald after only 20k and them driving like a grandma then I think I'm going back tomorrow to get these tires.

They have been really good so for on the CRV and not only am I picky about tires, but I was still cranky about the Falken 512s I previously used. They are not even bad in snow! At the right price, I think they are a good pick for the right driver/car. A lot of people drive on really mediocre tires and 912 is a definate upgrade over average tires, that's why I recommend them in general. There are quite a few better tires out there, and I am willing to spend a few dollars extra...but the set of 4 912s I am using was $140 shipped....total.

If you want a similar tire that wears better, price the Yoko TRZ. Altimax RT would be cheaper with good wear.

Thanks for replying.

$140 for 4 sounds like an awesome price. Don't think I can get close to that though.

Unfortunately tires for my car start at $100 a pop and skyrockets from there. Makes me wish they have 15 or 16" tires instead. But the 17s do look nice.

That's a pretty good installed price locally. If you don't drive in the snow, you will be happy with them. I highly doubt they will last 40K -- even if you drive like a grandma. When I traded my Fusion, the 912s (225/50/R17) had about 8k miles on them. They were wearing evenly (front & back), but steadily. They were down to 7-8/32nds. I don't drive like a grandma, but I also didn't spin them (except on ice/snow -- where I had no choice). I was very pleased with the ride and handling. It seemed tramlining got a little worse as they wore slightly.

Was that with a rotation in between the 8000 miles, proper inflation, and an alignment?

I hope these last a while. At least until I can make my own money to replace them.

I saw a Maxima today with bald tires that have gone beyond the wear bar. I bet that person has fun in the rain.

Thanks for checking. I guess I can start playing the how many miles I can get out of my tires game.

They better grip well if they wear as quick as people are saying.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Was that with a rotation in between the 8000 miles, proper inflation, and an alignment?

I hope these last a while. At least until I can make my own money to replace them.

I saw a Maxima today with bald tires that have gone beyond the wear bar. I bet that person has fun in the rain.

Proper inflation and alignment = yes. I didn't rotate them, because I traded right right before it was needed. I checked the depth regularly with a gauge. They will all wearing evenly. The front and rears were all within .5/32nds of each other. I wasn't going to run them this winter (had I kept the car).

Do a google search on them, and check some other boards. They are very popular due to their price/performance. I'm sure many have significant mileage on their set my now.

Update on the 912s: I posted on the first page of this thread about 5 months ago. I now have twice as many miles on the tire (20,000 now).

I would recommend against these tires. First, the positive:

1. They have good dry handling
2. They have worn evenly
3. They have stayed in balance

The bad at 20,000 miles:

1. After 10,000, they started to get noisy. They progressed to a moderate-to-high level of noisiness and have stayed that way.
2. They've begun tramlining for the past 5,000 miles....I've never had a tire pull at road irregularities like this before. It literally makes the car DART when I'm braking sometimes, or just wander around more than I like on the highway.
3. Terrible for an all-season in snow. Equivalent to the general exclaim UHP, which was a borderline summer tire.
4. At 20,000 miles, they have about 5,000 miles of usable life left before I won't trust them on the highway in the rain.
5. Heaviness....(see below)
6. Ride comfort has gone down dramatically. My car feels like it's crashing sometimes on frost-heaves. It's a 2006 Civic SI and the suspension is otherwise fine, so I'm blaming the tires.

Regarding weight: I went from 18-pounds-per-tire (ridiculously lightweight) General Exclaim UHPs to these 912s, which are 25 pounds per tire still in 215/45/17 sizing.

That's 28 pounds more rotating mass on a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated engine. I can truly feel a difference in low speed acceleration and most braking activities. I wouldn't mind....if they rode smooth and wore slowly....but they haven't done that.

I say put your money elsewhere. For the same dime, I'd buy the Kumho ASX.

Joe

We had a surpise storm, a few dry inches and I had to travel again on the Falkens. Even worn down they were actually pretty good.

^ I assume your CRV is 4WD? That would make a world of difference in snow.

I think Joe's review would be very accurate for most (fwd vehicles). Mine started to experience a lot of the "bad" at less than 10K miles.

I'm on a 2800 pound FWD car running 215/45/17 tires with very short gearing and a rambunctious Drive by wire throttle. You are on a CRV that weighs more and has skinnier tires.

My point is....some cars weight, weight distribution, and tire width will make them far better in the snow with the same tires (my old FWD volvo was like that).

I would stay away from these tires if you want to be able to feel semi confident in more than 2 inches of snow.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back