My new toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a pic of my new to me car. It's a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE. Has 79xxx miles. This one is a phone pic so it's not that good. Might post better ones when I have a chance.

DSC00002.jpg

From what my eyes and ears tell me, it's in pretty decent shape. Love the VQ35 and the HID lights. A good upgrade from the Civic.

I dumped a bottle of Regane in the tank the day of purchase. I had half a bottle of RL-1 left from the Civic so I dumped that in before filling up today. Changed the oil Saturday. The dumb a-s who installed the filter had it on way too tight and it took a lot of effort to remove. I just ordered some Auto-RX to go in it. Trip computer was telling me I was getting 29.9 mpg on the last tank but calculating by hand gave me 25.3, which is with 200 miles highway (65-70 mph) and 159 miles city. So I'm going to have to learn how to drive it for better gas mileage since I'm used to the low-mid 30s with the Civic.

Now the bad: After the purchase I noticed some stuff that indicate it might have been in an unreported fender bender (Carfax & Autocheck came back clean). Three of the seat belt buckles are face backwards, so maybe they were replaced. The trunk was repainted at some point. For what reason I don't know. The hood seems to have some overspray and the radiator fins doesn't have many bent fins (so maybe it's newer
21.gif
).

Will need to replace the tires in about 5k. 17 inchers are expensive.

The front power outlet doesn't work and one of the license lights don't work, even with a new bulb. Do those have fuses?

Oh and it threw the Service Engine Soon (CEL) light 50 miles into my 100 miles trip back to school today. At first I thought it was an oil change reminder but when I looked it up it turns out it is the CEL and I went uh-oh. Hope it doesn't cost too much to fix.

I guess I'll stop my rambling. If anybody has solutions to the above problems let me know. Thanks

That car is light years ahead of your old Civic. Is it manual or auto trans ?

The price of 17 inch tires have come down big time in the past few years so I would not worry about the tires. Scan the CEL and find out why it is going off.

It's an auto. Chickened out of the manual for now.

The owner's manual says the CEL might go off because of low fuel or a loosened gas cap. It says it will go away after a few drives when corrected. I was already 300 miles into my tank of gas and hadn't touched the gas cap and I had a quarter tank of gas before the empty mark. I think it might be something else but might as well give it a try. If not I'll go to Autozone or Napa to get it read.

Last edited:
Enjoy the Maxima, it's a great car. 26MPG is the highway rating, so you're in the right ballpark. I've managed 28MPG (w/ auto trans) doing about 60MPH on a long highway trip.

With little maintenance, these cars can last a long while. Visit maxima.org for specifics. The only trouble spots on our cars tend to be the Bose sound system (driver side speaker cutout), paint (weak paint chips easily), and the auto seats (the motors tend to have some issues).

For the power I guess 25 mpg isn't that bad. Just can't believe the trip comp is 15% off. I was actually happy seeing the numbers and hoping it was real.

I have the non-Bose with the manual air. One of the front speakers is blown. It looks easy enough to replace so I might as well replace both. The good one seems to fail after the bad one.

The paint on the hood looks pretty good for 7 yr old car. Now I'm sure it was repainted. Oh well, as long as whatever accident it was in didn't cause frame damage and the airbag covers actually have airbags in them.

does it have the 5 spoke wheels? those look best, IMO.
i don't know why Nissan never make any 2 dr coupes. This design needed a 2 door version, IMO !

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
i don't know why Nissan never make any 2 dr coupes.

There was a Sentra 2-door coupé -- the 200 SX.

Yes, but that's of course a relatively new model. Given the context, I thought t-bird was talking about older Nissans.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
does it have the 5 spoke wheels? those look best, IMO.
i don't know why Nissan never make any 2 dr coupes. This design needed a 2 door version, IMO !

I don't know how many spokes the wheels have. They're the OEM 17 inch ones. If weather permits tomorrow, I'll go take a side pic.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Actually now that I reread the post, he seems to be referring to the Max specifically.

He says "any." But then he talks about "This designs needs..." Who knows what about that t-bird is talking.
wink.gif

1em1zl.gif

I gotta ask - you said you changed the oil, what did you put in? Look clean in the fill hole?

I had some Valvoline conventional lying around so I put that in with a Purolator Premium Plus. The engine isn't gunked up or anything but I'm doing AutoRx since I don't know its maintenance history.

Remember, they used to market the maxima as a 4-door sports car. They'd be reneging on that position to bring out a coupe.
wink.gif

Its a shame that the Maxima was once a '4 door sports car' and it has turned into a boring , bloated car.

The body style of asiancivicmaniac's Maxima was the best. Even the Altima has been turned into a bloated boring 4 door car.

my parents had an '89 max, at the time it was the fastest thing I had driven.
+1 on getting the trans serviced. I like nissans but it seems the trannies blow up by 100K. engine=bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Don't forget about the ATF

I have a couple bottle's of AutoRx on order and the Critic suggested that I should put some in the transmission. I wanted to do a flush after the AutoRx so is it safe to leave the fluid in for another 1k miles or so? It shifts smoothly still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back